• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks not in a hurry to make any moves

Blunt91

"You always have to look to get better' date=' especially if you're not of a Laker or Boston character," coach Larry Drew said. "...I don't know that it means that we're panicking and we do anything. We have to always entertain the fact, 'Can we do something to make our team better?' We can never be satisfied and that's what our upper branch is doing."[/quote']

This is an obvious cry out to to Sund.

And that most likely means moving you Crawford.

Sund needs to make a GM move now. We are the third best team in the Southeast division right now.

Edited by GameTime

If Sund doesn't trade Crawford by the deadline in my opinion it will be due to ownership wanting to let his # expire as Horford's kicks in.

We'll find out a ton about the ASG and how they want to run the team over the next 6 mmonths.

Precisely. An interesting series of events. The ASG settles with Belkin (does he have to pay for past operating costs off-setting what he is owed for his percentage ownership of the Hawks?) at the time this franchise must either put up (goes at least slightly over the luxury tax) or shut up.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

We have $63.6 million committed next year without Crawford, Evans, and others. Frankly, we cannot take back much of anything by trading Crawford without ownership's willingness to pay the tax for at least one year or until Bibby's contract expires. Here's hoping.

W

• Premium Member

As it stands now, this team is too little up front and not good enough defensively and on the boards to be a legitimate contender. These flaws won't get corrected without making some moves. However, it doesn't appear ownership is willing to do anything. In Sekou's podcast the other day, Michael Cunningham mentioned that the organization tends to over value certain players. It's really not possible to build a legitimate contender if the decision makers are not objective. Additionally, I saw an article where one of the owners said they had the challenge of building a contender while being "fiscally responsible". I think many would argue they have not been exactly successful with that thus far.

Edited by Jody23

As it stands now, this team is too little up front and not good enough defensively and on the boards to be a legitimate contender. These flaws won't get corrected without making some moves. However, it doesn't appear ownership is willing to do anything. In Sekou's podcast the other day, Michael Cunningham mentioned that the organization tends to over value certain players. It's really not possible to build a legitimate contender if the decision makers are not objective. Additionally, I saw an article where one of the owners said they had the challenge of building a contender while being "fiscally responsible". I think many would argue they have not been exactly successful with that thus far.

the hawks are a good defensive team. we just don't rebound exceptionally well

• Premium Member

the hawks are a good defensive team. we just don't rebound exceptionally well

They're solid, but they're not good or big enough to beat the elite teams in a seven game series.

Unless the Hawks will pay 80 to 90 million in salaries like orlando and boston they simply will not and cannot compete.

Those teams just have more big money players, period.

Orlando is probably eyeing a trade for another big and they'll be right up there again.

Agreed. Their best bet is to find some more legitimate investors.

• Premium Member

Excellent post!

Again this makes no sense for the hawks to jut sit on their *ss and not think about either extending jamal or trading him! either if they dont want to take a step back than they will have no choice but to pay the luxary tax for one season next year and thats all to it. theres no getting around this if they want the hawks to stay competive after this season and thats a fact. So like somebody else posted the asg/sund will really sow if they have the balls to give the money to remain a contender if they dont than we will go back to a good starting 5 and a weak bench. hopefully they spend the money on jamal or trade his *ss or whatever. I just want the hawks and the hawks only to win!

My guess is that Drew views Wilkins like the rest of the league did - borderline worthy of even being on a roster let alone steady in the rotation.

I wonder how the rest of the league views Mo Evans then... :/ But seriously we gotta do something... if we can package Craw1 and Mo for something useful......

• Moderators

I wonder how the rest of the league views Mo Evans then... :/ But seriously we gotta do something... if we can package Craw1 and Mo for something useful......

In a totally serious vein, I would like to see Wilkins given a shot with Evans' minutes for a few games since I've seen more from him lately than Mo. The problem with any potential Craw1 trade is that you have to first establish whether the Hawks ownership is willing to pay the tax next season. Depending on the answer, you have totally different sets of players that you could consider moving him for.

Unless the Hawks will pay 80 to 90 million in salaries like orlando and boston they simply will not and cannot compete.

Those teams just have more big money players, period.

Orlando is probably eyeing a trade for another big and they'll be right up there again.

Until the Hawks get a box office draw and start making money, you can't make moves like that. No other 1st or 2nd tier team has attendance issues like us. That's what hamstrung us but ASG knows this is a superstar town so they need to figure it out.

They're solid, but they're not good or big enough to beat the elite teams in a seven game series.

Agreed. Their best bet is to find some more legitimate investors.

No one will invest in a non profitable organization who at least is winning games. That's the issue, this town only yield sales with a superstar. Unless ASG lands one, forget it.

In a totally serious vein, I would like to see Wilkins given a shot with Evans' minutes for a few games since I've seen more from him lately than Mo. The problem with any potential Craw1 trade is that you have to first establish whether the Hawks ownership is willing to pay the tax next season. Depending on the answer, you have totally different sets of players that you could consider moving him for.

I'm with you there... or at least split them with him and JC2.