• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jordan Crawford was a wasted pick

HawkItus

If the idea is to win now with this group, Jordan Crawford should not have been picked by this team. He doesn't fill any of the wholes for this team, size, speed, or defense. We would have been better off to have sold that pick a la the Suns or trading it with Chillz for a useful bench player.

That pick wasn't made for this year, it was made for next year as we're going to need a guy who can light it up off the bench to replace Jamal's scoring since he'll almost certainly not be a Hawk next season. I'm pretty sure that the coaching staff are comfortable with Jordan's ability to score so when the time comes that we need him he'll be ready to fill that role, although I do hope that he starts getting some minutes on a more regular basis. I read somewhere yesterday that Jordan is possibly going to the D-League to join Pape Sy and hopefully he'll get some minutes there and be able to work on his game.

• Like 3

That pick wasn't made for this year, it was made for next year as we're going to need a guy who can light it up off the bench to replace Jamal's scoring since he'll almost certainly not be a Hawk next season. I'm pretty sure that the coaching staff are comfortable with Jordan's ability to score so when the time comes that we need him he'll be ready to fill that role, although I do hope that he starts getting some minutes on a more regular basis. I read somewhere yesterday that Jordan is possibly going to the D-League to join Pape Sy and hopefully he'll get some minutes there and be able to work on his game.

I'm sorry, but I've seen nothing from this coaching staff to suggest that they will simply just turn to JC2 next year, if JC1 is not here. Besides that is beyond the point. We could easily pick up a Jordan Crawford type talent in FA or in the 2nd round considering the time he'll get while JJ is here. This team as it is built is for the here and now. I'm not saying JC2 is deserving of more minutes, I'm saying that if he is not a piece to this years puzzle, he is a wasted pick. And even if he plays next year, he is not going to get us closer to a championship than Jamal will this year. We are not getting enough out of him considering the age of our best player and the long term condition of our roster.

It's a little too early to say that. Jordan just has to working on fitting in within the system. He just wasn't good enough outside of scoring and his scoring hasn't good enough for him to get away with it.

If the idea is to win now with this group, Jordan Crawford should not have been picked by this team. He doesn't fill any of the holes for this team, size, speed, or defense. We would have been better off to have sold that pick a la the Suns or trading it with Chillz for a useful bench player.

I think you can say JC2 was a semi-wasted pick...but that is not JC2's fault any more than it was Shelden's fault that we picked him to "own the paint" and do the "dirty work" at #5 - or that we picked Chillz at #6 (SF presumably) then turned around and picked another SF when we needed a PG and CP3 and Deron were out there.

BK was just the worst drafting GM in recent memory and we (the Hawks) have been chasing "diamonds-in-the-rough" for a couple years to recoup our losses. Acie was a poor pick - based on the hopes he could graduate from PG/SG at A&M to PG killer in the NBA (didn't work)...then we still need a PG so we take the 6th PG in the draft and get Jeff Teague. Jury is still out...but he ain't no CP3/Deron out of the box.

Getting back to the subject...JC2 is a skinny 6'-4" shooter who may fill out into a solid NBA player in the future (starter?...I dunno)...but it was again a reach to fill a hole that can't be filled with that draft pick and was based on the need to make up for the mistakes of the past by BK...JMHO. :kickcan:

Edited by DJlaysitup

Was that supposed to make Crawford look overrated or not? To me it came off with him making some big shots and missing a big shot ... but more of a highlight reel for Clemente!

I'm sorry, but I've seen nothing from this coaching staff to suggest that they will simply just turn to JC2 next year, if JC1 is not here. Besides that is beyond the point. We could easily pick up a Jordan Crawford type talent in FA or in the 2nd round considering the time he'll get while JJ is here. This team as it is built is for the here and now. I'm not saying JC2 is deserving of more minutes, I'm saying that if he is not a piece to this years puzzle, he is a wasted pick. And even if he plays next year, he is not going to get us closer to a championship than Jamal will this year. We are not getting enough out of him considering the age of our best player and the long term condition of our roster.

I'm not saying that they WILL just turn it over to Crawford what I am saying is that seemed to be the draft strategy at the time and I don't see any reason to believe that has changed as Crawford has looked really good at times when he's gotten playing time. And besides who was available when we picked that we could have picked who would immediately have helped us out and was also a lock to be an immediate impact player? I think that we did great getting a guy with his offensive skill and also someone who isn't afraid to take the big shot with the game on the line so late in the 1st round.

Now I'm willing to say that we wasted that top pick in the 2nd round but I can't and won't fault the team for picking Crawford where we did.

• Like 2

...I'm not saying that they WILL just turn it over to Crawford what I am saying is that seemed to be the draft strategy at the time and I don't see any reason to believe that has changed as Crawford has looked really good at times when he's gotten playing time. And besides who was available when we picked that we could have picked who would immediately have helped us out and was also a lock to be an immediate impact player? I think that we did great getting a guy with his offensive skill and also someone who isn't afraid to take the big shot with the game on the line so late in the 1st round.

Now I'm willing to say that we wasted that top pick in the 2nd round but I can't and won't fault the team for picking Crawford where we did.

Exactly Dolfan....JC2 wouldn't be a wasted pick - except for what we wanted immediately. JC2 might be a nice little firecracker off the bench eventually (not a 6th man...maybe an 8th man) It was just a reach and a hope. The hope was that JC2 could replace JC1 after we traded him. That doesn't seem to be working out...not surprising. JC2 needs time in the D-League with Pape to work on his game.

If the idea is to win now with this group, Jordan Crawford should not have been picked by this team. He doesn't fill any of the wholes for this team, size, speed, or defense. We would have been better off to have sold that pick a la the Suns or trading it with Chillz for a useful bench player.

We actually did kind of sale a % of the pick.

We drafted D. Jones and then traded down 3 spots and picked up an early 2nd rounder.

The Hawks then took Crawford and sold the early 2nd rounder.

Its crazy to draft for need that late in the draft. Seriously... what player do you think they should have taken instead? Picks that late are like little lottery tickets and I think you are better off just taking the one you think has the best chance of someday becoming a useful player. Drafting for need is how the team botched the Teague and Law picks.

I'm not attacking JC2. As a player, I'm fine with his skill set etc. What I'm saying is we knew a draft pick at that position would not get much time this season. So my thoughts are that we should have packaged that pick w/ other assets and got an impact player for this year. I'm not advocating any player at that position of the draft. But, I certainly don't see where drafting a player who could not help us this year would be the best choice "IF" we are trying to win a championship this season.

if the Hawks were trying to win a championship this season they would have spent the MLE. The magic are spending 40 million dollars more on payroll than the Hawks this season- if you want to win a championship then the easiest way to advance to that goal is to sign players that would help you.

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Even with limited appearances and a short hook as a 3rd string guard, his 4.7 PPG is greater than the scoring rates contributed by Mo Evans, Jeff Teague, and Zaza Pachulia. His 4.7 PPG is also higher than four of the 14 lottery selections (Ekpe Udoh, Gordon Hayward, Cole Aldrich, Patrick Patterson), all but two of the 14 non-lottery first-rounders (Eric Bledsoe, James Anderson), and all but one (Landry Fields) of the 36 draft selections that followed him.

There were a lot of wasted picks in the 2010 NBA Draft. Jordan Crawford is not proving to be among them. He is not expected to contribute much (thankfully), and given his forte as a scorer, what he has contributed exceeds virtually every other choice the Hawks could have made. Even supposing his greatest value to the Hawks is as part of a trade, if he had any value as a trade commodity at draft time, it can only be enhanced with continued professional tutelage and solid performance relative to his draft peers.

~lw3

• Like 2

I'm not attacking JC2. As a player, I'm fine with his skill set etc. What I'm saying is we knew a draft pick at that position would not get much time this season. So my thoughts are that we should have packaged that pick w/ other assets and got an impact player for this year. I'm not advocating any player at that position of the draft. But, I certainly don't see where drafting a player who could not help us this year would be the best choice "IF" we are trying to win a championship this season.

How do you know Sund did not try to trade the crappy pick with some other crap for a veteran ?

Truthfully there is little value in that pick and it would have been tough to get an "impact player" for that pick even if combined with a veteran. I would assume Sund took some calls but nothing much was being offered.

We also must not forget that JJ was not resigned yet on draft night. He could have left us for less money like Stoudemire, James, and Bosh did to their teams. Had JJ blind sided us then that draft pick of a SG would have been needed.

Edited by coachx

Its crazy to draft for need that late in the draft....

I agree 100% spot. We have drafted poorly when we had high picks and that chased our tails drafting for need with late picks, The exception was Shelden, who we drafted for need but got it wrong. You draft for need with top picks and you go BPA with later ones. We have generally done the reverse.

It's actually somewhat amazing that we are where we are (solid playoff team). :kickcan:

Agreed. This team isnt built to win now. Wtf? This team wont contend for a couple more years. For a Title that is. Boston, LA, SA, etc.. is gettin old. Hawks time is around the corner. And JC2 should be ballin by then.

Agreed. This team isnt built to win now. Wtf? This team wont contend for a couple more years. For a Title that is. Boston, LA, SA, etc.. is gettin old. Hawks time is around the corner. And JC2 should be ballin by then.

Yeah terrell...I agree that our championship window is still on the horizon...especially since the ownership squabble has been settled (and now maybe the ASG can sell to a really, really rich guy).

As far as JC2 "ballin" I just don't know. He's 6-4, skinny, with skills. Back in the day that was bigtime stuff for a SG...now it's kind of average in the NBA.