• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Oh wow! This makes it official kiss your 6th man of the year bye-bye

JTB

Yeah, Yeah another Crawford thread...sorry but had to post this!

Jamal Crawford:

"It's weird, because honestly at first I just wanted a place I knew I could call home, but unfortunately (an extension) didn't work out," Crawford explained after scoring a season-high 31 points on 10-of-17 shooting and dishing out seven assists on Tuesday night. "But now, I'm excited about my future and whatever the summer will bring. ... Now I get a chance to pick where I want to go."

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/01/05/jamal-crawford-is-at-peace-even-if-his-contract-situation-isnt/

Worst thing about this is that its recent in January! An this is what I was afraid of he knows teams will go all out to get him. Im hearing we cant extend him so assuming thats true, here's a message to the ASG, Sund, and ALL Hawk fan and supporter's (this have to be on your mind)

TRADE THIS MUTHAF****A!!!!! HURRY DEADLINE IS FEB. 24th LOL....NAW SERIOUSLY LOVE THE GUY BUT WE HAVE TO RID HIM NOW IF WE CANT RESIGN HIM.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

SO I JUST FOUND THIS ARTICLE AND THE HAWKS HAVE UNTIL JUNE 2011 TO EXTEND HIM!!!!

Atlanta Hawks guard Jamal Crawford plans to ask for a trade if he is not given an extension in the near future, a source close to him told FanHouse. The 11th-year veteran averaged 18 points last season, winning the league's Sixth Man of the Year award while helping the Hawks to a 53-29 record before they were swept by the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Crawford's is not the only situation at hand for Hawks general manager Rick Sund, who must also decide whether to lock up forward Al Horford by the league's Oct. 31 deadline for extending rookie contracts. If Horford does not sign an extension this summer, the Hawks can resume negotiations next summer when Horford will be a restricted free agent. The Hawks have until June 30, 2011 to extend Crawford's contract.

Having seen the Hawks give Joe Johnson a five-year, $119 million contract, Crawford is of the belief he shouldn't be without long-term security all season long. The tenor of forthcoming discussions regarding Horford could come into play as well, as Crawford will certainly grow even less patient if the Hawks moves quickly on securing the forward's future.

Previously known as a volume shooter, Crawford has certainly raised his value since he was traded to Atlanta last summer, as his one season with the Hawks was the first time in his career that his high-scoring ways didn't go for naught. He reached the playoffs for the first time in his career, and his field-goal percentage of .449 and three-point percentage of .382 were his highest over a full season.

It's not known how motivated, if at all, Sund is to extend Crawford. But clearly, Crawford wants out sooner rather than later if Sund doesn't envision him in the Hawks' long-term plans. If Sund does opt to trade Crawford, there would be no shortage of suitors, as Crawford's explosive scoring off the bench and $10 million expiring contract could help any team.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/27/jamal-crawford-will-request-trade-if-not-granted-extension/

ok this makes me feel alot better we have until june to resign and keep him at first I thought we had until the trade deadline. So here's what the ASG is more than likely to do. The ASG will probably wait and see if how Jamal performs in the playoffs. I feel better but Crawford's talk still makes me think he may not sign the extension if it is offered!

Edited by JTB

he may not accept an extension if we offer one after the season...it'll have to be a lot higher than a pre-season extension would have been

he'll know much more about the new CBA by summer and will have a reasonable idea on how close other teams can come to our offer and may turn down anything other than overpaying so he can play the field now

we should be trying to get a pg for him before the deadline

• Like 1

Looks like i stand corrected.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q52

** Provided the team had previously picked up the option for that season. The deadline is the following business day if October 31 falls on a weekend or holiday (for rookies).

Except for extensions of rookie scale contracts (which must be signed by October 31), extensions may be signed up to June 30, the day before the player would have become a free agent.

From all of Jamal's interviews/quotes regarding an extension with Atlanta, it comes as no surprise that he's never really been able to stick with other teams. He's a hell of a scorer when he's healthy, but he seems to have a pretty bad attitude when he doesn't get his way (aka a fat contract and lots of PT). Would I like to keep him as our 6th man? Duh. But do I like some of the things he's said to the media about not having received an extension from us? Hell no.

From all of Jamal's interviews/quotes regarding an extension with Atlanta, it comes as no surprise that he's never really been able to stick with other teams. He's a hell of a scorer when he's healthy, but he seems to have a pretty bad attitude when he doesn't get his way (aka a fat contract and lots of PT). Would I like to keep him as our 6th man? Duh. But do I like some of the things he's said to the media about not having received an extension from us? Hell no.

What has shown that says he has a bad attitude ? What he said was actually the truth and the exact way he should be looking at it . He wanted to be here and we said thanks but no thanks now he sees the situation as a chance to pick where he wants to play next year for the first time in his career. Maybe you should watch the coaches and teammates talk about resigning him and add that into your equation .

What has shown that says he has a bad attitude ? What he said was actually the truth and the exact way he should be looking at it . He wanted to be here and we said thanks but no thanks now he sees the situation as a chance to pick where he wants to play next year for the first time in his career. Maybe you should watch the coaches and teammates talk about resigning him and add that into your equation .

I just feel that it's in poor taste for Jamal to continue talking about not receiving an extension from us to the media. As of now, he's a Hawk and he probably will be for the rest of the season, so IMO he should focus on performing for his current team and worry about which team he wants to play for after the season is over. He'll have plenty of time to think about it if he thinks his next deal will annually earn him as much as he's pulling in for this season...

When you ask your team for a trade before the season even starts because you're pissy that you didn't receive a new deal during the summer, that just reeks of a poor attitude. Maybe I'm the only one that feels like that though...

Edited by WakaFlocka

• Premium Member

I just feel that it's in poor taste for Jamal to continue talking about not receiving an extension from us to the media. As of now, he's a Hawk and he probably will be for the rest of the season, so IMO he should focus on performing for his current team and worry about which team he wants to play for after the season is over. He'll have plenty of time to think about it if he thinks his next deal will annually earn him as much as he's pulling in for this season...

When you ask your team for a trade before the season even starts because you're pissy that you didn't receive a new deal during the summer, that just reeks of a poor attitude. Maybe I'm the only one that feels like that though...

I disagree.

I can imagine the interview went something like this:

"Jamal, How do you feel about the offseason."

then he says what he said.

Now if he had said "I look forward to being able to choose where i want to go in the offseason." There would be a lot of pissed fans here. But he made it a point to make it clear that he wanted to be in Atlanta and we didn't give him an extension.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

For all of you saying trade him. My question is trade him for what?

If they won't go into the luxury tax to sign him, they won't go into the luxury tax for a trade of him.

That means that trading him is really trading him for capspace (generally a player who will not play or picks.). Either way, it doesn't benefit this Hawks team right now. This is the time that the owners have to figure out what type of mentality they have.

Do they have a welfare mentality that they will just trade him for picks and keep on searching while this team gets older and the window shrinks...

or

Do they spend the money and try to become legitimate.

Let's be honest, Craw has been one of our best players this season and last. I hear people talking about Horford and Smith but neither of those guys can be counted on to the extent that we have counted on Craw.

If he walks for nothing, we become mediocre again with high priced talent.

If he is traded for picks, we take our chances and pull in more useless talent like Acie, JC2, etc.

If he is traded for capspace see walk for nothing.

If we sign him to an extension (right now), we can still trade him in the offseason but at least we make a strong playoff run and see what we have.

If he shows up in the playoffs, we keep him and find deals that gets Zaza, Bibby, and Marvin out of here.

If he doesn't, we trade him because he will still have lots of value.

So what are we?

You gotta trade the disappointments, not the guys holding up the roof. Jamal is a winner, is a player. He is much more a leader than Any Other Player on this roster. He knows this, the roster knows this. He surely was appalled of how Marvin, Zaza and Joe were rewarded with their deals

9their poor performances) as opposed to not extending him(he did shine against Orlando will Joe stunk/shrinked). Good Gosh, 120 million guy as compared to we wont offer 35 million for Jamal. The Twilight Zone isn't this wacky.

Edited by Swatguy

• Premium Member

Even if Jamal repeats as SMOY, I don't see him drawing much more than the mid-level on the open market. Volume scoring guards are easy to come by at well below the mid-level (see: Eddie House). And unlike Jamal, some of those guys actually play defense. Add in the fact that Jamal will be 31, and I just don't see him drawing any big money offers, especially if the cap restrictions are tighter.

If he's willing to re-sign for ~$6M per, great. But otherwise, I can't see many-to-any of the few teams with possible cap space throwing it at Jamal.

Even if Jamal repeats as SMOY, I don't see him drawing much more than the mid-level on the open market. Volume scoring guards are easy to come by at well below the mid-level (see: Eddie House). And unlike Jamal, some of those guys actually play defense. Add in the fact that Jamal will be 31, and I just don't see him drawing any big money offers, especially if the cap restrictions are tighter.

If he's willing to re-sign for ~$6M per, great. But otherwise, I can't see many-to-any of the few teams with possible cap space throwing it at Jamal.

That may be true. But ASG, At least make the offer.

For all of you saying trade him. My question is trade him for what?

If they won't go into the luxury tax to sign him, they won't go into the luxury tax for a trade of him.

That means that trading him is really trading him for capspace (generally a player who will not play or picks.). Either way, it doesn't benefit this Hawks team right now. This is the time that the owners have to figure out what type of mentality they have.

Do they have a welfare mentality that they will just trade him for picks and keep on searching while this team gets older and the window shrinks...

or

Do they spend the money and try to become legitimate.

Let's be honest, Craw has been one of our best players this season and last. I hear people talking about Horford and Smith but neither of those guys can be counted on to the extent that we have counted on Craw.

If he walks for nothing, we become mediocre again with high priced talent.

If he is traded for picks, we take our chances and pull in more useless talent like Acie, JC2, etc.

If he is traded for capspace see walk for nothing.

If we sign him to an extension (right now), we can still trade him in the offseason but at least we make a strong playoff run and see what we have.

If he shows up in the playoffs, we keep him and find deals that gets Zaza, Bibby, and Marvin out of here.

If he doesn't, we trade him because he will still have lots of value.

So what are we?

Good points thats kinda how Im feeling and what I have been saying this whole time in different wording....WHAT ARE WE?.......That has to be the biggest question about the ASG right now. I mean Jamal so important to this team that if he leaves you can honestly say we are a 7 or 8 seed that will win about 40-43 games! Thats a huge difference to what we are now with him on the team, with him here we remain a 3 or 4 seed thats winning about 50-55 games over the regular season......Its crazy how effective a scorer that is known for no defense can help lift a teams number of wins.

Good points thats kinda how Im feeling and what I have been saying this whole time in different wording....WHAT ARE WE?.......That has to be the biggest question about the ASG right now. I mean Jamal so important to this team that if he leaves you can honestly say we are a 7 or 8 seed that will win about 40-43 games! Thats a huge difference to what we are now with him on the team, with him here we remain a 3 or 4 seed thats winning about 50-55 games over the regular season......Its crazy how effective a scorer that is known for no defense can help lift a teams number of wins.

Actually we were a 47 win team (4 seed) without Crawford and with a minimum salaried Flip Murray in that role. Sure Bibby has aged but at the same time Horford and Smoove have gotten better since then.

With Crawford we won 51 or 52 games (can't remember) and were a 3 seed. Plus last year we had few injuries.

So saying we are 40-43 win team without Crawford is not what history says.

I really like Crawford as a person and as a player but at the same time I don't want opinion to be clouded as fact.

• Like 1

sorry guy but jamal isnt eddie House thats just ridiculous . If thats the only comparison that you can come up with well then your theory simply falls apart .

Eddie house averages 5 ppg for his career jamal is a starting caliber sg that we have coming off our bench .

Who are some of these guys who actually play defense ?

With that said there wont be many teams with cap money to throw his way but I guarantee you that every single title contender will offer him the Mle to do exactly what hes doing for us. We are in a place right now where we cant afford to make mistakes and letting jamal go to a competitor over 2-3 million in salary per year is a mistake because right now he is THE DIFFERENCE between us being the 4th seed and the 6th seed .

Bos

Mia

Chi tie

Atl tie

Orl

NY

Indy

Charlotte

hes probably worth at least an extra 5-8 games to any teams on that list right with what he does off the bench . Hes basically insta-bench and hes worth far more to us than the Mle salary .

I fully believe that unless one of our young starters take a step towards elite status in this playoff that we will package 2 of them for a Paul or all nba caliber player and we will then resign jamal .

This is the last hurrah of the current starting 5 at the current pace several of them will be moved before Crawford is allowed to just walk.

...When you ask your team for a trade before the season even starts because you're pissy that you didn't receive a new deal during the summer, that just reeks of a poor attitude. Maybe I'm the only one that feels like that though...

I wouldn't really call it a "poor attitude"...I would attribute it to the fact that we (Sund) has him over a barrel and he (and his agent) knows it. He didn't get his extension and he can't DEMAND a trade - not at his age. He has to work his butt off for his next contract and can't try to play any cards that he doesn't have in his hand.

We can trade Craw to any team we want and he can't do a thing about it. If he sulks and stops playing hard his career will end early. Owners know owners and something like that would get around quickly.

I think the plan all along was for CrawJr to be our replacement for CrawSr with a pre-trade deadline trade being the goal (likely with a WConf. team that needs a boost in scoring - or an expiring contract). I don't think the plan has changed all that much even though CrawSr had been showing up big and CrawJr is nearly invisible.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I do understand CrawSr's frustration though. He wants to have some control of his own destiny and he simply doesn't (if he wants another contract).

Nothing personal CrawSr...it's just business.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1