• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I owe an apology.

Diesel

• Admin

Speaking truth to power like always.

The reality is Teague can do good things for us when he's in with the main starting 4. But for now, he's got a way to go before he can stand on his own...tonight shows that.

I think he can be very effective as a change of pace guard coming in and replacing Hinrich. I don't think he should be getting extended minutes right now but he should be getting consistent minutes (15 + )

I think he can be very effective as a change of pace guard coming in and replacing Hinrich. I don't think he should be getting extended minutes right now but he should be getting consistent minutes (15 + )

Teague, in my opinion, has always played decently when he is in the game with our core players. When he comes off the bench along with a couple other bench players he just looks horrible. Drew needs to work on his rotations so that Teague always has at least three other reliable players on the floor with him. I can see Drew putting Teague in to change the pace but putting Powell and Wilkins in at the same time.

Teague has always been told how he is fast and he can use that to his advantage, but I think he needs to slow down and play without his speed and actually learn how to play without leaning on his physical crutch. Once he learns how to play, what to do in certain situations, where to pass when and why, then he can turn the speed back on and really show us something.

• Moderators

Most people who have been harping on this issue have been harping on giving him limited consistent minutes - not making him the prohibitive starter. Given how badly we needed defense at the PG position, it seems hard to believe he couldn't have been groomed to play a limited set of minutes focusing on distributing the ball to our starters and playing better D than Bibby. Instead, he was given erratic minutes, DNP-CDs, and time only with the worst players on our roster which asked him to do more than he was ready to do. That just didn't make sense to me.

• Premium Member

Most people who have been harping on this issue have been harping on giving him limited consistent minutes - not making him the prohibitive starter. Given how badly we needed defense at the PG position, it seems hard to believe he couldn't have been groomed to play a limited set of minutes focusing on distributing the ball to our starters and playing better D than Bibby. Instead, he was given erratic minutes, DNP-CDs, and time only with the worst players on our roster which asked him to do more than he was ready to do. That just didn't make sense to me.

Most times he hit the floor, he was useless on both offense and defense. I get that Teague was probably despondent about not getting minutes. But he didn't even do the things that a guy playing just a few minutes per game can still do, though. If he went out there and simply moved his feet on defense (something that does not require a "rhythm" or consistent minutes), I think he would have seen a lot more of the floor. Instead, he defended with his hands on one end and just passed the ball to Jamal at the other.

Unless he was a practice superstar, it makes perfect sense to me that he had trouble finding a spot in the rotation on a playoff team, where minutes for young sub-lottery players have to be earned instead of gifted. I really don't think you'd have seen a significantly different result with any other decent coach given our record, our roster, and the way Teague played (again, unless Teague was a practice superstar).

Edited by niremetal

:stirthepot:

OK. So, he didn't shoot very well last night - went 1-6.

But, consider what else he did.

Free throws 5-6. 6 rebounds. 2 assists. 1 blocked shot.

Hawks are a very different team when he's in there with 4 starters. He doesn't have the experience.

He doesn't have the polish. His timing on offense, and especially his shooting, is off.

So what. If he makes the team better, isn't that what we really need? And, I believe the Hawks

are a better team with JT starting. With Captain Kirk on board, we may limit JT's minutes. But,

they should be with the other starters. 7 1/2 minutes to start and 7 1/2 minutes to open the 3rd.

gives him the 15 minutes some are talking about.

With experience, his game will improve. Now is the time for that.

Thanks Diesel.

GO HAWKS!!

:biggrin:

• Premium Member

I'm sorry but I don't see why anyone owes Teague an apology. He's not effective at the position. Drew said as much last night. Drew said he needs Teague to do more than play defense and bring the ball up. He's not creating and his lack of a consistent jumper is a huge negative for the offense.

to me he is still woefully inadequite for offense to be a starter. but larry drew is doing the right thing in taking advantage of his strengths which is quick hands on defense (playing to a players strength) which is something woody would never do. just by looking at these past 2 games it has seemed to energise our defense.

but if you cant shoot you have got to make a higher percentage of your runners to the basket.

and for the life of me i cant figure out how is it that josh smith can develope what is becoming to be a silky smooth net scorching jumper and marvins jumper be so erratic.

he only has given us one good season to where he shot the jumper well ( he actually shot the 3 ball well that yr.)

Teague threw some good, crisp passes that Powell and Marvin wasted. He had good game except maybe last several minutes (turnover and charge) which equal to decent overall. He still played better than Jamal, who, at one point, moved away from JR when he attempted a drive. leaving path to the basket wide open. That was just disgusting.

I'm not saying that bad games from Crawford make JT a good player, but if the former deserves 30 mins, so does the later (and actually neither does).

On the last games since Bibby left Teague is

+6 against Denver

+5 against Portland

+24 against GS

-5 against Phoenix

In fact yesterday Denver cut the lead when Jamal replaced him at PG. Definately he is struggling on the offensive end but is playing well enough defensively 1, 4 SPG to earn the minutes. I would keep him on the starting lineup giving him around 25 minutes to develop him if he keeps playing the same way. I still think he can become a good offensive player.