• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will the playoffs bring more ISO Joe & Jamal?

JackB1

There was a great article recently on peachtree hoops about how this new motion offense has really hurt Joe and Jamal's production and

the numbers point to the same conclusion. But I wonder if the slower, more deliberate half court pace of the playoffs will allow us to return

to the "pre Drew" days of "ISO Joe" and "Green Light Jamal"? I think all this ball movement does, is keep us on the perimeter shooting jumpers.

We were much more efficient under Woodson's system. Will we go back to more of that in the playoffs or do we go down with the ship?

All the lowered efficiency numbers Fratello brought out during that Bulls game suggest that we absolutely should. Of course I would like to see more of Jamal than Joe. He did score more with less minutes last postseason.

Edited by benhillboy

There was a great article recently on peachtree hoops about how this new motion offense has really hurt Joe and Jamal's production and

the numbers point to the same conclusion. But I wonder if the slower, more deliberate half court pace of the playoffs will allow us to return

to the "pre Drew" days of "ISO Joe" and "Green Light Jamal"? I think all this ball movement does, is keep us on the perimeter shooting jumpers.

We were much more efficient under Woodson's system. Will we go back to more of that in the playoffs or do we go down with the ship?

Iso Joe/Jamal didn't work in the playoffs last year.

They will still be taking jumpshots but instead it will

be 1 on 1 jumpshots and everyone else

will be just standing around.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Iso Joe/Jamal didn't work in the playoffs last year.

They will still be taking jumpshots but instead it will

be 1 on 1 jumpshots and everyone else

will be just standing around.

And that differs from the offense the past 2 months...how exactly?

I like having League Pass and the ability to listen to away commentators' analyses of the Hawks. They said what I and a lot of other people around these parts have noticed: The "motion" offense has been largely scrapped since December, and we're back to relying heavily on one-on-one plays (ie ISOs and post-ups) and one-pass jumpers. Sometimes, the players go through the motions of the offense for a few seconds after the ball crosses half court (and even then, it's usually not all the players - one of my biggest beefs with Smoove this year is that he just kind of drifts around aimlessly on offense when he doesn't have the ball), but the off-ball movement almost invariably ceases after the first or second pass, while there's still 14+ seconds left on the shot clock. If they don't have an open jumper, they then look to initiate an ISO or post-up. Really, that's no different than the offense under Woody - either someone takes a jumper early in the shot clock, or else someone goes one-on-one while everyone else stands around watching.

So Woodyball is back already. The players just don't seem to realize it, probably because the reversion to Woodyball happened mostly during a period where a much more obvious changes (JJ's injury and early return) occurred.

Edited by niremetal

We havent seen much isolation this season . People need to learn the difference between simple nba spacing an actually isolation.

The problem wasnt isolations just as the problem now isnt the motion offense . The problem is we have ignored the development of our bigs and now they simply dont fit into any style of play .

We wouldve been better off bringing Al,Josh,Joe,Jamal,Teague ,Zaza etc in hiring some developmental coaches and work extra hard on helping our bigs develop better footwork and understanding of the two man game.

We took the ball out of our best offensive players hands in favor of under developed bigs with limited offensive skills and now we are paying for it .

• Premium Member

We havent seen much isolation this season . People need to learn the difference between simple nba spacing an actually isolation.

Yeah. Clyde Drexler and Hubie Brown really need to learn the difference between those things, because clearly when they said the Hawks were still relying too much on ISOs during games in the past two weeks, they didn't know what they were talking about.

</sarcasm>

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

The Hawks don't Isolate...that's funny! In fact I would give it the Joke of the day status! If you don't consider Joe holding the ball for 18-20 seconds of the shot clock isolation we just differ in our opinion of what isolation plays are.

Who said the Hawks didnt isolate ?

Compared to last season we havent ran much isolation this season for Joe and jamal this season.

I believe LD before I believe Brown or Cylde as he knows what the actual play call is .

Big difference between the playcall being an isolation and a player basically holding onto the ball and doing whatever they want which is exactly what LD pretty much said in terms of Joe .

Every single team in the nba runs isolations again people need to learn the difference between a poorly executed plays weve ran this year and a designed isolation play like Woody was running.

The funny thing is that the Magic have some pretty putrid 1 on 1 defenders. THe Hawks have guys who can beat the first guy- to me the question always is about what happens next. Do they settle for long 2 point jumpers or do they take it into the lane, draw contact and then dish to the open guys who can attack an unsettled defense.

The first thing we need to look at when examining the Hawks' offense is their iso performance. Last season, the Hawks ran isolation sets 17 percent of the time (third most in the NBA) while scoring 0.89 points per possession (PPP), seventh highest in the NBA, on those plays. Drew has kept his promise and the Hawks are running isolation sets less frequently, going iso just 13.5 percent of the time (11th most in the NBA). However, the biggest problem is the efficiency of the Hawks' iso possessions has also dropped. The team is scoring only 0.79 points per possession this season (22nd in the NBA).

When looking at the reason for this significant drop-off in Atlanta's isolation performance, the initial thought is to look at Joe Johnson. However, Johnson's play in iso sets this season has almost been identical to his performance last season (0.86 PPP this season, 0.88 last season--both good for 165th in the NBA during their respective season). The biggest reason for the Hawks' drop in efficiency when working out of isolation sets has been Josh Smith. Smith has gone from posting a PPP of 0.96 on 45.4 percent shooting last season to posting 0.72 PPP on 35.9 percent shooting so far this year. Smith's drop-off when going iso comes down to the fact he is shooting more jumpers (24.4 percent last season vs. 36.9 percent this season) when he is isolated. Smith is shooting 27.3 percent on these jumpers:

http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1599

Take of it what you will.

Nice read although the play they gave as a example wasnt an isolation play just a PF chucking a long jumpshot with ten seconds on the clock .

I also noticed although that clip was at the start of the game I didnt see kirk call a play as he brought the ball up .

Kirk pushes up the ball and waits for the trailers

Al trailing the play sets a high screen for kirk

kirk takes the screen and pases it back to Al at the ft line extended

Al takes the pass fakes at the basket and looks to hand it off

He hands it off to Teague and sets a screen for Teague

Teague takes the screen and passes it back to AL

Al 18 feet out fakes at the basket and then passes to Josh in the corner

Josh shoots a 18 ft jumpshot with 10 seconds on the clock

We seem to move the ball around without a clear defined purpose at times .

I agree.....we need more of a blend iso game along with some ball movement...and we need to PUSH the tempo!

Nice read although the play they gave as a example wasnt an isolation play just a PF chucking a long jumpshot with ten seconds on the clock .

I also noticed although that clip was at the start of the game I didnt see kirk call a play as he brought the ball up .

Kirk pushes up the ball and waits for the trailers

Al trailing the play sets a high screen for kirk

kirk takes the screen and pases it back to Al at the ft line extended

Al takes the pass fakes at the basket and looks to hand it off

He hands it off to Teague and sets a screen for Teague

Teague takes the screen and passes it back to AL

Al 18 feet out fakes at the basket and then passes to Josh in the corner

Josh shoots a 18 ft jumpshot with 10 seconds on the clock

We seem to move the ball around without a clear defined purpose at times .

All the lowered efficiency numbers Fratello brought out during that Bulls game suggest that we absolutely should. Of course I would like to see more of Jamal than Joe. He did score more with less minutes last postseason.

we need to get the ball in the post more....Al can easily be a 20/10 guy in this league