• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What did Dallas do to get so good

NJHAWK

I thought they were year in and year out playoff chumps like us lately. I thought Dirk was soft as a feather in playoffs past. What did they do to get close to the finals again?

People underrate the hell out of Dirk because he's a euro but it's usually been the Houdini acts of his teammates in the playoffs that has turned their perception into that of a turnstile team. They were better defensively under Avery Johnson but lost their way in that regard with Carlisle until Chandler was acquired, he's single handedly made their frontcourt more athletic and mobile which is hard to match. Most teams frontlines suffer with finding enough bigs mobile and long enough to check both Dirk and Tyson and then they have another 7 footer who is more of a banger on the bench. Like I said they are getting near all star contributions from Terry and Barea, Marion is still versatile and Peja is having a renaissance. Kidd is still solid as a rock and even Debrick Stevenson will give you a few 3s to go along with his always tough perimeter defense. They always had a superstar but just needed the rest of the roster to click and get in gear.

• Like 1

It helped that Tyson had a very good PnR PG in Jason Kidd for offense as well. He's one of those players that if he's a liability on offense, he can be useless as what happened in Charlotte. Tyson fit and was the final piece they were looking for. Dirk shouldn't be so underrated. He is not the most talented PF but he simply is unstoppable to defend at times. One of the best scorers in NBA history.

• Premium Member

They acquired Tyson Chandler and started playing some D.

^^This.

Dallas has always been an explosive offensive team and it starts with Dirk. People don't understand what kind of nightmare he can be. A player that big is not supposed to be that deadly from long range. But he is. He's a two guard in a PF/C's body and that creates matchup problems. They've also got Jason Terry - who many of us were really sad to see go. You could tell he had something special about his game, he just wasn't a PG...and it was hard trying to pair him with the right player (funny how JJ would be that perfect compliment to him just a day late and a dollar short).

BUT...for all of Dallas' offensive prowess, and Kidd is nothing short of a bonus to that offense, they couldn't beat anybody because they really weren't a defensive team. Tyson Chandler found his groove a few years back as a defensive center. I was dying to have him here...it would have been perfect. A front line of him, Al, and Smoove would shut down the paint. But, adding him to that Dallas roster changed them from just a high scoring team, to a team that can play defense. They have the whole package now.

...and a coach that I have coveted for years too. dash1.gif

• Like 1

I think Jason Kidd developing a decent three ball helped them open up the offense too. Other teams used to sag off him to double someone and they can't do that as much now.

Yep...suddenly Kidd can (occasionally) shoot. It's almost like Cuban got all the mis-fit toys together (and a coach who could help) and it has started to GeL.

I do agree that T. Chandler has been the key though. He plays much bigger and stronger than a guy like Noah and will be a serious problem for the Heat if they get to the finals. He may be the prototype big, strong, relatively coordinated athletic center for teams that need inside presence - but not offense so much - for the future.

they got this dude named Dirk Nowitzki

Yeah they had him last year two and they were a 1st round knockout.

They acquired Tyson Chandler and started playing some D.

Tyson Chandler is the difference between 1st round knockout and the nba finals? I find that hard to believe. He was soft girl garbage tonight, Brenda played better.

It helps that this was the weakest playoffs in a long time. The spurs were old (see their losing streak down the stretch) and ginobli was hurt. The lakers were old and imploding, and the thunder are a few years away.

It helps that this was the weakest playoffs in a long time. The spurs were old (see their losing streak down the stretch) and ginobli was hurt. The lakers were old and imploding, and the thunder are a few years away.

Yea I think your answer is the best and makes the most sense.

^^This.

Dallas has always been an explosive offensive team and it starts with Dirk. People don't understand what kind of nightmare he can be. A player that big is not supposed to be that deadly from long range. But he is. He's a two guard in a PF/C's body and that creates matchup problems. They've also got Jason Terry - who many of us were really sad to see go. You could tell he had something special about his game, he just wasn't a PG...and it was hard trying to pair him with the right player (funny how JJ would be that perfect compliment to him just a day late and a dollar short).

BUT...for all of Dallas' offensive prowess, and Kidd is nothing short of a bonus to that offense, they couldn't beat anybody because they really weren't a defensive team. Tyson Chandler found his groove a few years back as a defensive center. I was dying to have him here...it would have been perfect. A front line of him, Al, and Smoove would shut down the paint. But, adding him to that Dallas roster changed them from just a high scoring team, to a team that can play defense. They have the whole package now.

...and a coach that I have coveted for years too. dash1.gif

I don't know about JT/Joe. I think JT would be a solid fit next to Joe but if Joe is still a #1 option, we are still in trouble.

I don't think Tyson is perfect for the Hawks. The Hawks PG's PnR are trash. I seen him in Charlotte, they play a style kinda like ours. He was horrible. It's no surprise Tyson is at his best with Kidd and CP3, two elite or in Kidd's case very good PnR PG's. He give you about what Jason Collins gives you on offense if he's not playing with a PnR PG. Not very good at all. Defensively he's good, extremely good in the zone that Dallas runs. He's is one of the best zone defenders I seen at the Center position. He has a better grasp of the zone than Dwight.

I really like R.C. But I am warming to LD and his potential is pretty good. He just needs better personnel.

Tyson Chandler is not in the game for scoring, he's in the game for defense, rebounding and occasional alley-oops.