• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith says he's not eager for trade!

JTB

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/06/23/atlanta-hawks-josh-smith-says-hes-not-eager-for-trade/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

article:

Josh Smith is aware of the trade speculation swirling around him. He knows much of that speculation is fueled by the belief that he desperately wants out of Atlanta.

But Smith said today he’s not eager to be traded, though he’s bracing for the possibility.

“I’m not saying I want [a trade] to happen but if it does I will just have to deal with it,” he said.

Smith said the Hawks haven’t told him anything about a trade. But he noted that players aren’t usually privy to the team’s internal deliberations until a deal is going down.

“Right now I’m with the Hawks,” he said. “I think we have a special group. I just want to win.”

There’s no doubt Smith is frustrated about the flak he took from fans, media and Larry Drew over his shot selection. But it still doesn’t seem as if he’s pushing the Hawks to get him out of town.

Meanwhile, the latest rumors have the Magic acquiring Andre Miller and his non-guaranteed 2011-12 deal from Portland and then using that as part of a bigger deal. And since Dwight Howard apparently wants to play with Smith, that naturally leads to speculation that the Magic would use Miller as part of a package to acquire Smith.

(UPDATE: Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel reports the Miller-to-Orlando speculation is “overblown.”)

Trading Smith as a salary dump makes little sense (and is complicated by the $4 million trade kicker his new team would have to pay). Smith is still only 25. He’s productive, versatile, and valuable. The two years and $26 million left on his contract runs neck-and-neck with Al Horford’s new deal as the best bargain on the team.

If the Hawks somehow managed to unload Marvin Williams’ contract in the process of trading Smith, then the salary dump angle would make more sense. It still wouldn’t be palatable from a basketball standpoint unless they could also replace Smith’s production in the deal but clearly Williams has the kind of deal they would gladly send away.

If the Hawks also were to work a trade that included Smith and brought them back a superior player (or at least a comparable player at center or small forward) for even a one-season run then it would make some sense from a basketball standpoint. If the Hawks were able to get productive young players and draft picks in a deal, and then turn those assets into something down the line, then that might be a successful path, too.

Of course, looming in the background (or maybe the foreground) of all this speculation about salary shedding: The Hawks gave the richest contract in the league to a player that even their GM doesn’t believe is an MVP candidate.

Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat

Edited by JTB

Yep, but if we trade him, Al Horford can finnally show his true potential for being a 20-22 point scorer 10-13 rebounder.

But that cost of that will be still no true 5, hope that Howard comes here(and he wont if that trade does happens) and still be very close to LT and cant resigned Craw..

Yep, but if we trade him, Al Horford can finnally show his true potential for being a 20-22 point scorer 10-13 rebounder.

or him and his dad will complain about how he's neither a PF OR C, but really a natural SF.....

Edited by Mdizzle5

or him and his dad will complain about how he's neither a PF OR C, but really a natural SF.....

So Al and his dad aren't allowed to say what every reporter, commentator, analyst, etc say during every Hawks game? The guy has played out of position for 3 years now and is a back to back All-Star so I think he deserves to finally play his natural position next to a full sized center.

So Al and his dad aren't allowed to say what every reporter, commentator, analyst, etc say during every Hawks game? The guy has played out of position for 3 years now and is a back to back All-Star so I think he deserves to finally play his natural position next to a full sized center.

it was just a little joke, Dolfan. i don't really care what position he plays as long as he produces.

it was just a little joke, Dolfan. i don't really care what position he plays as long as he produces.

Oh sorry ... next time throw in a smartass emoticon or something so that people like me won't get so defensive :scratchhead:

• Moderators

Props to MC for getting the quotes straight from Josh Smith and props to Smith for being so professional and well spoken in the interview.

Agreed. I want to see success in Josh's future and if he is going to leave then I appreciate him not throwing the city and fanbase under the bus. Stay and keep growing or leave them wanting more.