• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Keith Benson

ATLFORLIFE

Agreed, not Solomon Jr... very possibly Josh Powell, Jr.... you do have to like that he's got a frame that can probably put 15 lbs of muscle on, and be a contributor, albeit not a rotation guy, and in 2012-13, not 2011-12.

To me he looks like a DeAndre Jordan type with those wide shoulders ... and if he becomes as good as Jordan is I'm sure we'd all be thrilled!

Hey now how many times have YOU been to the gym this week? :alcoholic: ... I can tell you that I pay for a gym membership every month but usually find an excuse not to go because I'm kinda lazy and I get plenty of exercise playing center field for my softball teams 3-4 games week ... of course I wash that exercise down with a few beers as well so it all evens out LOL.

I've been 5 times this week so far and my job certainly is not dependent on athletic ability. I want to like this benson guy, but after seeing that quote that really floored me. I go to the gym because I enjoy it, not because I could make millions on whatever athletic talent I have. And damn, how many softball teams are you on? I can't imagine a team playing more than twice a week and once a week in Houston weather has to be brutal enough right now!

I've been 5 times this week so far and my job certainly is not dependent on athletic ability. I want to like this benson guy, but after seeing that quote that really floored me. I go to the gym because I enjoy it, not because I could make millions on whatever athletic talent I have. And damn, how many softball teams are you on? I can't imagine a team playing more than twice a week and once a week in Houston weather has to be brutal enough right now!

Damn good for you for going that often!

I play on 3 teams, 1 team we play a double-header every Tuesday night and the other 2 teams we play 1 and occasionally 2 games a week so I've played as many as 6 games in a week, which is awesome in 100 degree heat and even better when we're having our biggest drought in modern history. Plus I play LC or RC and lead off so I do a hell of a lot of running ... but other than that I'm way too lazy to go to the gym LOL

• Premium Member

I like the guy's highlights. He's actually a real center. You don't see much of that nowadays. He has some pretty nice moves around the basket and is pretty quick and slippery down there in the post. He has to be in order to get around larger, stronger centers though. He wasn't on my radar but it's obvious Sund put some thought into this pick. Not bad for #48. I hope he works out and is a better player than Solo was. What's strange is if a Euro or International center had this same highlight video, he'd probably be a lottery pick.

Northcyde

thanks for posting the video. Here is what noticed:

1) Benson has a SF game in a 7' body. His jumper looks nice and fluid. He has range.

2) It looks like he has a little bit of a back to the basket game as well.

3) My gosh is he weak. He was getting moved off the block constantly. That has to be his number 1 priority.

4) Footwork looks OK, but not great. He is quick though, so if he can get better footwork he might turn into a good rebounder.

Darko Jr.?

• Premium Member

Keith Benson - 100% statistically comparable to...Keith Benson.

I'm 100% happy with Benson at the minimum instead of Josh Powell. At least there's some hint of upside.

Edited by mrhonline
  • Like 1

This guy looks nothing like Solo and plays nothing like him either. Solo might have been a better defender in college but Benson is far more gifted offensively. How many non-Dirk 7'ers have you seen that can shoot a near college 3 off the dribble like he showed in his highlight video a couple of times?

Solomon Jones averaged 13pts 10 reb and 3 blocks per game

Keith Benson averaged 17pts 10 reb and 3 blocks per game

You were saying?

Solomon Jones averaged 13pts 10 reb and 3 blocks per game

Keith Benson averaged 17pts 10 reb and 3 blocks per game

You were saying?

Did I say anything about having similar stats or were you in such a hurry to try and be funny that you forgot to read my post? Go back and watch Solo's college highlights and then come back and tell me that they look like similar players, I'll wait ...

• Premium Member

If you want a nice fluff piece on Benson...

Here ya go!

Boom

For answers, we turned to Michigan Patch sites. Benson lives in Farmington (there's a Patch there), attended Country Day High School near Birmingham (and one there, too) and Oakland University in Rochester (yes, another Patch site).

Did I say anything about having similar stats or were you in such a hurry to try and be funny that you forgot to read my post? Go back and watch Solo's college highlights and then come back and tell me that they look like similar players, I'll wait ...

Hey! Thanks for waiting. You said they were nothing alike and I was just pointing out their stats which were almost exactly alike. Stats don't matter though huh? Only youtube highlights? Apparently Keith Benson is much more "gifted offensively" because he hit 11 three pointers during his 4 year college career. You're right....HE'S THE SECOND COMING OF DIRK! WE'RE SAVED!

Hey! Thanks for waiting. You said they were nothing alike and I was just pointing out their stats which were almost exactly alike. Stats don't matter though huh? Only youtube highlights? Apparently Keith Benson is much more "gifted offensively" because he hit 11 three pointers during his 4 year college career. You're right....HE'S THE SECOND COMING OF DIRK! WE'RE SAVED!

RIF! This is my quote ...

This guy looks nothing like Solo and plays nothing like him either

LOOKS nothing like Solo as in he has a different build and he's not going to remain a beanpole like Solo.

PLAYS nothing like like Solo as in he can actually hit a jumpshot and has the ability to create scoring opportunities for himself in the paint.

Get it?

RIF! This is my quote ...

LOOKS nothing like Solo as in he has a different build and he's not going to remain a beanpole like Solo.

PLAYS nothing like like Solo as in he can actually hit a jumpshot and has the ability to create scoring opportunities for himself in the paint.

Get it?

Ok...let's agree to disagree on this one. We've both got on our opinions...

A side note - Glancing over your favorite teams listed in your sig I was just curious.... Do you have a Starter jacket for each one?

I just read a quote about benson from a piece by MC. It says benson has been working out three times a week so far with his new weight trainer. Whoah there, we sure do have a gym rat on our hands!!!

/sarcasm

he needs dat dere celltech

• Moderators

Ok...let's agree to disagree on this one. We've both got on our opinions...

A side note - Glancing over your favorite teams listed in your sig I was just curious.... Do you have a Starter jacket for each one?

What is there to agree to disagree on?

Both of you agree the stats are similar. Then the only question is whether their frames and skill sets are similar...i.e., whether they look similar. If you agree that they physically look different you are really down to the style of play which isn't captured on paper in ppg, rpg and bpg.

For example, two guys who looked nothing alike physically or in terms of their game:

Mehmet Okur 2008-09 - 17.0 ppg, 7.7 rpg, .7 bpg

Paul Millsap 2010-11 - 17.3 ppg, 7.6 rpg, .9 bpg

So the unanswered question is whether you think their games are alike or not. If you think they play the same game, then you can agree to disagree. I just don't think you are at an impasse until you answer that question.