• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thaddeus Young/Wilson Chandler

reeballin4

Since we are most likely not going to get a center in FA, We need to look at signing a SF to help fill one of our needs. IMO Horford is the 4th best center in the league behind Howard, Bynum, and Howard. With the rumors of us getting new management, and by us not moving Smoove on draft day I'm sure we're moving forward with our core players (Teague, JJ, Smoove, Horford). If we can find a way to dump Marvin's contract we can have enough cap room to sign a better SF. Thaddeus Young went to GT and he's from the south so I'm sure he would think about playing for the Hawks and Wilson Chandler is a good scorer that could compliment JJ.

We should also look to sign Shannon Brown who has ties in ATL to replace Jamal Crawford. Zaza is good defensive backup and we all know he's going to play 100% all the time. Hinrich is a nice compliment off the bench also. We need a primary 3pt shooter - (James Jones/Daequan Cook). We're not that far from contending but we have to change our team mentality. We've seen flashes that this team could be a defensive minded team we just the right discipline.

Teague

JJ

Chandler/Young

Smoove

Horford

FA: Shannon Brown, James Jones/Daequan Cook

That's a big if. How do we do this?

Unless there is a drastic increase in the salary cap limit we could theoretically trade Marvin for nothing and still not have more than the MLE to use so that's not happening.

I'd offer our entire MLE to Thad and see if playing in Atlanta is a big enough incentive to take it but I doubt it.

I've said it before that Wilson is a Marvin clone right down to the demeanor and Thad is Travis Outlaw 2.0. He's not a SF, he actually sucks terribly at SF thus why he actually plays PF off the bench where his quickness is a major advantage over typical bigs....just like Outlaw did. let's not make the same mistake twice.

• Premium Member

Explain to me how Bynum is better than Al......

Other than sheer size I don't see how Bynum is better..

I definitely think you could make the argument that Al is a better "player" than Bynum. However, hands down, Bynum is a better "center". Playoff basketball clearly makes this evident as Bynum is a far better low post scorer, interior defender and has much better size for the position. Also, I wouldn't assume that new ownership has made a decision to move ahead with the current core (hate that word) just because a move wasn't made on draft night.

Edited by Jody23

Horford is a better all around player but Bynum is more of a pure center and has more size at the position, and Wilson Chandler is not Marvin's clone I've watched both play several times and Chandler is way more aggresive he will get 17-20 pts if needed and he plays defense. Thad Young is still very young he may just be 21 so he has time to grow and his athletic ability could turn this team into one of the most athletic defensive teams in the league pairing him with Smoove and Horford, plus Teague's defensive ability.

• Premium Member

Since we are most likely not going to get a center in FA, We need to look at signing a SF to help fill one of our needs. IMO Horford is the 4th best center in the league behind Howard, Bynum, and Howard. With the rumors of us getting new management, and by us not moving Smoove on draft day I'm sure we're moving forward with our core players (Teague, JJ, Smoove, Horford). If we can find a way to dump Marvin's contract we can have enough cap room to sign a better SF. Thaddeus Young went to GT and he's from the south so I'm sure he would think about playing for the Hawks and Wilson Chandler is a good scorer that could compliment JJ.

We should also look to sign Shannon Brown who has ties in ATL to replace Jamal Crawford. Zaza is good defensive backup and we all know he's going to play 100% all the time. Hinrich is a nice compliment off the bench also. We need a primary 3pt shooter - (James Jones/Daequan Cook). We're not that far from contending but we have to change our team mentality. We've seen flashes that this team could be a defensive minded team we just the right discipline.

Teague

JJ

Chandler/Young

Smoove

Horford

FA: Shannon Brown, James Jones/Daequan Cook

If there was a way to get Wilson, we should be all over it.

• Premium Member

Unless there is a drastic increase in the salary cap limit we could theoretically trade Marvin for nothing and still not have more than the MLE to use so that's not happening.

I'd offer our entire MLE to Thad and see if playing in Atlanta is a big enough incentive to take it but I doubt it.

I put it into the Dieselputer:

A+MIRACLE+HAPPENS_02.JPG

What the miracle is in this case....

Amnesty + Hard Cap set at 70 Million. + Hawks trade Hinrich for a first round pure PG and a future first.

Of course with the Amnesty, we release Marvin.

However, I don't see it happening like that.

If there were an amnesty, we might release Marvin... But we would also find a trade for Smoove. Then, these owners would reup Craw.,

So here's the new miracle step..

Soft Cap with LT at ~70.

Hawks get New owners who want to win and has large pockets.

Hawks go over cap to sign Wilson.

Horford is a better all around player but Bynum is more of a pure center and has more size at the position, and Wilson Chandler is not Marvin's clone I've watched both play several times and Chandler is way more aggresive he will get 17-20 pts if needed and he plays defense. Thad Young is still very young he may just be 21 so he has time to grow and his athletic ability could turn this team into one of the most athletic defensive teams in the league pairing him with Smoove and Horford, plus Teague's defensive ability.

Your several times doesn't beat out my 4 seasons worth of watching him while living in NYC. Dig through Knicks boards and read up how they wanted him to be more aggressive and assert himself, the only season he did so was his contract year. (sound familiar?) Sure he could get you 17-20 but on bad efficiency because he can't create his own shot and Gallo was the better perimeter defender for the Knicks.

Watch the guy and look at the stats, he's Marvin to a T just with more blocks. Problem with fans and their perspective is that they see Marvin as an underachiever because of where he was drafted and Chandler as an overachiever but they are the same exact player and will be making the same money come 2012. Why make the same mistake twice?

As for Thad, he's a 23 year old undersized PF. 4 years in the league has established this (just check his stats and percentage of minutes by position at 82games)

He's a liability as a starter due to his small frame and lack of rebounding but fine as a bench scorer/energy guy. Personally I'd prefer a banger like Kris Humphries as our backup 4 over Young but with Jamal gone you can make a case for him.

If we need a SF so bad then just slide Joe over and go after quality 2guards like Afflalo, JR Smith and Nick Young that will give the team a different dimension and skillsets than we already have.

If we need a SF so bad then just slide Joe over and go after quality 2guards like Afflalo, JR Smith and Nick Young that will give the team a different dimension and skillsets than we already have.

I like the idea of going after Affalo. He's a good defender and can shoot somewhat straight.

JR Smith could have the full MLE, I would be ok with that. The man can shoot.

I agree about his worth; however for a team like the Hawks who have a big need at either starting SF or C, I'd rather use the MLE addressing one of those issues. JR Smith is a "piece" for a team that has everything else. That's the problem with retaining Jamal Crawford. He's nothing more than a complimentary piece. I know you're not going to get an All-Star for the MLE, but when your team is close to the LT, you use the MLE to address a glaring need first IMO.

Seems like we could sign Tayshaun Prince for the vet min. He's a good defender that can shoot.

I think you are undervalueing Prince. You get guys like Damien Wilkens and Mo Evans for the vet minimum.

If there is a MLE I'd bet money several teams would then offer Prince their MLE. If there is no MLE there will be teams under the cap who need a veteran. The Washington Wizards and NJ Nets immediately come to mind. Coaches love his defense and team play. At 31 I think he still has some good seasons left in him. His play has not tailed off at all yet.

Prince is still on the roster for Team USA 2010-12 teams of 33 available players.

Prince was on the active roster for the gold medal winning '07 & '08 national teams too. He is a perfect complimentary piece to a roster with superstars.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I think you are undervalueing Prince. You get guys like Damien Wilkens and Mo Evans for the vet minimum.

If there is a MLE I'd bet money several teams would then offer Prince their MLE. If there is no MLE there will be teams under the cap who need a veteran. The Washington Wizards and NJ Nets immediately come to mind. Coaches love his defense and team play. At 31 I think he still has some good seasons left in him. His play has not tailed off at all yet.

Prince is still on the roster for Team USA 2010-12 teams of 33 available players.

Prince was on the active roster for the gold medal winning '07 & '08 national teams too. He is a perfect complimentary piece to a roster with superstars.

Not to back track but that's what I thought too. I think he's the perfect fit for our team. Then I read this (not that this guy knows what he's talking about)

2011 free agent bargains

I don’t expect Prince to garner any more than the veteran’s minimum because of his age and back injuries, but having him as the glue guy who can defend the stars at the small-forward position would be a huge boost for any playoff team looking to improve at that spot.

Anyway, if we can find a way to do it i would.

• Moderators

I should note that Thad is a HUGE fan of Doug Collins after last season's playoff run, and strongly prefers to stay as a player under his guidance. Doesn't mean he's not attainable, but the price of any offer sheet that Thad would be willing to sign should be higher under those circumstances. Or maybe not, maybe he'll be nice enough to sign a low offer quickly just so Philly could match it. But I think he'll need a real high bid (read: above what he's worth) if anyone sincerely intends to pry him away from the Sixers.

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/28/11/Free-agent-Young-focused-on-remaining-wi/news_sixers.html

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/sixers/article_2f5439c3-a67e-55cf-aeeb-50156e619504.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/76ers/2011-03-10-doug-collins-turnaround_N.htm

~lw3

Getting Chandler would be great for us, but lets face it even if we wanted to sign him we couldn't. Even if we do have just enough money for him, there would be teams like the Pacers or Kings that could give him much more money then we could. I say we trade williams and 1st round pick for someone like Dorell Wright, who could really help us in attack.