• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is David West back in-play?

sturt

• Premium Member

Never made a whole lot of sense to me that NO would trade West for Jermaine O'Neal... and now it's being reported that there's some hesitation by the Hornets to make a deal with the Celtics after all.

I propose that West might just be the kind of piece that ASG would be willing to take on salary to get. Hope I'm right about that.

Still, I'm not sure what we'd send their way, unless it would be a SnT of Crawford.

Never made a whole lot of sense to me that NO would trade West for Jermaine O'Neal... and now it's being reported that there's some hesitation by the Hornets to make a deal with the Celtics after all.

I propose that West might just be the kind of piece that ASG would be willing to take on salary to get. Hope I'm right about that.

Still, I'm not sure what we'd send their way, unless it would be a SnT of Crawford.

Why would we want West? He does nothing to help us , and I sure would not offer Smith or Al for him..

• Premium Member

Answer: A healthy West gives you the fairly-reliable low-post scoring threat and defensive banger that we do not currently have. Yes, there's an injury history, but that's the only way you even have a shot at a West-type player with the assets that we have to work with. And, ASG is on-record that it will take a difference-maker for them to be willing to pay tax... West has been a difference maker when he's been healthy.

Been thinking more about this... NO was interested in Crawford... so it's not totally out in left field to think the two sides ought to talk.

What's more, I think acquiring a legit low-post threat makes it much more plausible to sell Billups... while he's a different player, in terms of the rotation, he gets the minutes Hinrich or Crawford would have gotten, and he can get more money from us than MIA.

I doubt it. The Pacers will offer him now that Nene seems to be a lock for the Nets.

Gilbert Arenas seems to be the Hawks most likely move. They could do other moves that can REALLY get us to the next level but they aren't a serious organization.

Considering the main issue with this deal is getting NBA approval, how would the hawks succeed where the celtics failed? Crawford may be a better player than JO, but would then be signed to a longer deal, while JO is a free agent at the end of the year. How would they justify a trade to the hawks for a 30+ years old player after nixing the lakers and celtics trade for not bringing in enough young talent back and for not giving them enough cap flexibility?

Not to mention, why the hell would Crawford sign up to that? Why would he willingly go to a franchise completely in distress?

Edited by dlpin

<p>

<br />

Never made a whole lot of sense to me that NO would trade West for Jermaine O'Neal... and now it's being reported that there's some hesitation by the Hornets to make a deal with the Celtics after all.<br />

<br />

I propose that West might just be the kind of piece that ASG would be willing to take on salary to get. Hope I'm right about that.<br />

<br />

Still, I'm not sure what we'd send their way, unless it would be a SnT of Crawford.<br />

</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>I know that adding David West is not popular on this board, but I think I'm in favor of it. Let's assume that the NBA is willing to grant us a sign-and-trade with New Orleans. Let's also assume that he can stay relatively healthy. I'm still working this out in my mind, but I might be on to something.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Our team is small... we've got a lot of speed and athleticism (Teague, Smoove, JJ in his own way) and we've got a few shooters (JJ, Hinrich, Horford from mid-range). J-Smoove is a remarkable slasher. Marvin is none of the above, and I think this move could push him out of the starting lineup.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>I know the Smoove to 3 is a tough sell because with each position, we assume that they must have Ability X, Y, and Z. I don't buy this at all. All that matters in the end is that our best players collectively have a complete skill-set to attack teams with any strength.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Would Teague/JJ/Smoove/West/Horford be a tragic lineup? Looking at it, we would be pretty thin from a 3pt perspective although Hinrich could be a plug off the bench... I don't know how I feel about this anymore.&nbsp;</p>

Edited by ryandauwalker

2 yrs - 20 million for West?

That's actually a smart signing for Indy. Instead of being on the hook for a 3 or 4 year deal worth 20 million, they'd rather overpay and give West 10 mill a year for 2 years. That's similar to what we eventually acquired Jamal for ( by taking over the final 2 years of his deal ).

That deal enables the Pacers to pay West his maximum worth right away, while also being able to get out of his contract quicker. Good move by Indy.

2 yrs - 20 million for West?

That's actually a smart signing for Indy. Instead of being on the hook for a 3 or 4 year deal worth 20 million, they'd rather overpay and give West 10 mill a year for 2 years. That's similar to what we eventually acquired Jamal for ( by taking over the final 2 years of his deal ).

That deal enables the Pacers to pay West his maximum worth right away, while also being able to get out of his contract quicker. Good move by Indy.

West was getting offers for 7-7.5. He got lucky Indy got desperate. Mayo to Indy is next for a SnT of McRoberts. McRoberts can play both C and PF and fits Memphis system.

• Premium Member

Happy it's Indy and not Boston, but I think Indy would love to get Craw to finish off the roster. Assuming they can't sign him outright anymore, could we use Craw to spring free Hansbrough?

~lw3

Can't see that given West's injury history.

I can't believe the Pacers just gave West $20 mill over 2 years.

the key to success under the new cba according to Cuban is year to year flexibility . After this season West becomes a 10 million dollar expiring contract which they can use at next years deadline if needed .