• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Sund quote from MC

Jody23

• Premium Member

According to Michael Cunningham, Rick Sund said "We have never been a taxpaying team and our goal is not to pay the tax. You never say never."

It seems to me that they will let Crawford walk for nothing. His words also confirm what all Hawks fans have known for years-their goal is not to win, but to avoid paying the tax. Hawks fans deserve much, much better than this.

• Premium Member

According to Michael Cunningham, Rick Sund said "We have never been a taxpaying team and our goal is not to pay the tax. You never say never."

It seems to me that they will let Crawford walk for nothing. His words also confirm what all Hawks fans have known for years-their goal is not to win, but to avoid paying the tax. Hawks fans deserve much, much better than this.

If that is true..........and no reason to question it,,,,,why are we wasting our time???? I know that is a hard question, but da@m this ownership group is not playing for a championship.

Phillips will be empty this year............

• Premium Member

As I said to MC in a follow-up... that "you never say never" part could mean two very different things depending on the tone and voice inflection and context.

Having said that, like you, I fear that means the more negative of the two very different things.

As I said to MC in a follow-up... that "you never say never" part could mean two very different things depending on the tone and voice inflection and context.

Having said that, like you, I fear that means the more negative of the two very different things.

If they land a DH or someone they'd probably go over the tax. But that's about all.

• Premium Member

It's just really pathetic and it makes the contract of JJ look more short-sighted and foolish by the minute. If they were not committed to winning to begin with, then why pay a b-list shooting guard that amount of money? EVERYBODY knew that JJ could not lead a team to a title as he's not that kind of player. So again, why would you pay him that money especially when you were'nt going to spend into the luxury tax to field a title contender? Pathetic foolishness at it's worst.

• Premium Member

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/12/11/atlanta-hawks-ruck-sund-says-hawks-dont-want-to-pay-tax-making-return-of-jamal-crawford-doubtful/

GM Rick Sund said the Hawks still “have never been a taxpaying team and our goal is not to pay the tax,” an approach that essentially means the team is out of the running to re-sign Jamal Crawford or use the free-agent guard in a sign-and-trade transaction.

“It’s going to be difficult to sign Jamal in a straight signing transaction,” Sund said. “We are looking at other alternatives, of course. You always look at everything but it’s not nearly as easy as if you had four months. Four days instead of four months makes it more it more difficult.”

• Premium Member

GMs should be earning their pay and stop relying on deep pockets to make the job thinkless.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

Wait. Are you guys mad that they are avoiding paying the luxery tax? They screwed the city by mismanaging the Thrashers and then gave it away, they tried to unload the team to a guy who couldn't afford it, and they've publicly begged for 'investors' for over a year now. I think its amazing we haven't dumped the salaries we have. We'll at least lineup with a playoff team this year again.

On the less negative side of it I don't blame them for staying under. Someone can correct me here but paying the tax isn't really the issue right? Its not collecting the tax that hurts. I wonder what the revenue difference between being just under and $5 million over is once you add in the tax you pay and the money you don't realize.

If they land a DH or someone they'd probably go over the tax. But that's about all.

Exactly right IMO. No GM is his right mind wants to repeat the Knicks/Thomas fiasco from 6 to 8 years ago. If we can land a true superstar/all-star player to go along with most of our core, no GM in their right mind would say no to that one either.

I like that we are trying to work out a 3 team SNT with Crawford as reported. It at least shows we are trying to add some depth, picks, or a starter. Crawford does make us a player in FA, and by mid-season Hinrichs expiring could also considering how high the LT penalty will be in two years. Lakers just dumped Odom for nothing IMO to start getting ready for that. And even though the aquired trade exception may help them land Howard clearing Odoms contract was a financial move plain and simple. Kobe is pissed man!

Edited by Buzzard

Yea, I don't get why people are up in arms regarding these two comments. The comments are so non-committal anyway.

He's just saying that the Hawks would like to stay under the cap but would go over if the reward was worth the cost.

Yea, I don't get why people are up in arms regarding these two comments. The comments are so non-committal anyway.

He's just saying that the Hawks would like to stay under the cap but would go over if the reward was worth the cost.

And what is this reward? Believe me, they would probably go over for DH but who else?

And what is this reward? Believe me, they would probably go over for DH but who else?

The Lakers had Gasol all but shipped, CP3, Scola, Martin any of these guys may be worth it. Then look at the Clipps and Warriors players who are looking at moves in FA. But garbage like what the Knicks have to offer is not worth the LT now and especially not in two years when it goes up.

With a 3rd team involved I see us getting a decent player in any Knicks deal, but it would have to be a blockbuster to go into the LT. That is what I think Sund is implying.