• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks preseason game on NBATV Monday @ 7pm game thread

WraithSentinel

Wasn't impressed with Smith and Horford.

Impressed with Joe and Marvin.

Meh with Teague.

T-Mac, Sloan, Wanamaker, and Sy sucked a*s.

Stephanie Ready is so damn fine.

Hmm, can't take too much from one preseason game, but here are my few observations.

JJ played smart using the attention he was drawing to get a lot of early assists.

Marvin looked better; hard to say how much, but he looked better than last year for sure.

Zaza looked to be in good shape, but still the same Zaza. Goofy shots, hustle, sloppy hard work. Had a couple nice rebounds and it was good to see him hit all four of his free throws.

Not a big fan of Sloan, he didn't do much positive.

As the biggest advocate for T-Mac coming here, he slowed like a slow old man who didn't deserve a roster spot. Our bench is back to being weak.

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the thought of a Zaza/Radmanovic combo in the game (as long as the other team's big men have NO offense). I like the thought of a banger inside and a shooter both 6'11+, too bad they both lack on defense though. Benson sure can block shots though!

I will watch the next game more carefully, hopefully we see something.

• Moderators

Stephanie Ready had as many boards as the Dirkminican. Gotta have more interior production next game.

Smoove went inside for beaucoup dunk attempts and drove to the rim enough to make the long-distance shots a distant memory... a nice block too.

Joe was Joe, I wish we could just start the season now for his sake.

Teague still can't be caught, but teammates are now crashing the glass looking for the likely offensive rebound opportunities when he drives full court. It's progress.

Marv hustled a little bit underneath... more of that please!

I've come around on The Impaler. Doesn't exactly spread the floor but can still pop those threes and be at little bit of a pest defensively depending on the matchup. But LD, not everyone should have to prove they can bring the ball up the floor.

Despite all the misses tonight, I've also warmed to the possibility of letting Sy stick around for the final roster spot. Between T-Mac and Jerry Atrics, the former has the guaranteed contract, so if one absolutely has to go it should be the latter.

I hope to see Ivan Johnson and Keith Benson in The Biggest Little City very soon.

~lw3

From what I saw it was a nice competitive scrimmage game. We got ahead , then they got ahead - I really didn't care who won. It's possible that they made the substitution pattern off-kilter on purpose to see how each teams' subs could play against the other teams' starters - if so - good thinking.

I was happy to see that all our guys "looked" to be in pretty good physical shape. We pretty much know what the top six or so can do s I wasn't worried about that.

I will say that I'm concerned about the PG position until Kirk gets back. I think Teague will be Okay-not-great at least early in the season - but I don't really see Pape or Sloan doing anything impressive early - when we need it - wish we had a vet backup. But it's just one game.

Marvin looked taller so he will have a better view of the court standing out at the three point line and watching the other four guys play offense....(this is not on Marvin..on you LD). JJ played it smooth and did fine - Smoove had some dunks and an airball - Al made a nice jumper or two - and Zaza showed he was still capable of performing at both ends of the basketball spectrum.

IMO it appears that we just lost Craw...period...nothing really in return. It may change once they get motivated in real games but Stack and T-Mac looked like they are pretty much spent. Time to go home and set records in church league.

Still...I'm pretty optimistic this year. Our core is still young and may be able to handle a condensed season better that some other - older teams.

LD obviously wants to see if he has a bench worth a damn so my only concern was watching the starters. The "this is preseason" excuse isn't going to fly because it's a truncated season and therefore time tables have to be sped up. The Hawks hit the ground running starting just next week so I was pleased for the most part at how the starters and Eastern Euros came out. Now if injury occurs or these guys need a breather.... Yikes.

I like the young bigs..Rolle has the height and weight of a legit starting center..was very active defensively and on the glass..Kito wasnt as skinny as portrayed and was very active as well...I think that when Kirk comes back teague should assume the roll as 6th man off the bench..TMac seemed lack the energy level to be a 6th man...

Edited by LastDon

We desperately need a change of pace off the bench someone who can attack and score..Mcgrady and Stack dont look worthy of being 6th men..maybe Kirk can add stability to the second unit..

Yeah LD...as much as I wanted Hinrich to be our starter for a year or two with Teague backing him and getting good minutes and learning - I think we have Teague as our starter pretty much for the season due to the way things are working out. It's sink or swim time Jeff.

If Teague can bring his best effort every game I think (hope) that his positives will outnumber his negatives. I realize that most of us have picked up on and applauded him for the positive things he has done so far - but this is regular season NBA baby - night in, night out quality performance is what we need...not just a few highlights for youtube....he's gotta make the step from "surprisingly good" to "consistent major contributor"....if we are going to win.

Edited by DJlaysitup