• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The "New Defense"

ATLSmith

Drew mentioned last year that his focus was on implementing the offence and they only practiced his defensive scheme to a limited degree. So far this year the defense certainly does look more aggressive.

The Nets and the Wiz both have terrific Point Guards and the Hawks certainly made use of a lot of half court traps to contain them. Sometimes even with Horford and Teague trapping the PG while Marvin and Smoove guarded the lane.

A true test will come with the Hawks play a 3 headed monster like Miami. It will be interesting to see how they handle that.

What do you all think so far? What have you noticed them doing differently?

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I remember us playing this same type of D for the first 6 or 7 games last year, then ended up reverting back to weak defense. I hope the D stays the way it is now.

I also remember the sharing offense in the beginning of last year that kind of went south. These guys need to stick to what works.

Edited by CODHAWKSFAN

COD you have to keep in mind that no one is expecting them to be lights out every night but its hard to maintain any sort of consistency with Jamal and Bibby playing the 1. Even though our undersized bigs and defensive rebounding issues were one of the weaknesses of this team, I think our main problem on defense was our lack of ability to defend at the one. Its refreshing to see Josh and Al not having to guard point guards for a change or chasing after Jamals or Bibbby's guy. If the defense bends for them everynight, it will break eventually, especially against good teams.

Edited by DarnShadyRefs

I think after the playoff series last year, the players are finally starting to trust Larry Drew. It shows in that they are playing fundamental sound basketball and with this type of talent on our team, the results could be exceptional.

With that in mind, when things aren't going well (which inevitably happens), players have the option to do what they think is right (common and appropriate under Woody) or to defer to the coach. I hope as adversity comes this year, they will lean on Drew instead of their instincts to only pick up their man or to just ISO all day. Time will tell.

The length of the front court disrupting passing lanes combined with the full-court pressure of Green and Pargo has been a good combo early. I especially like the attention to detail and realizing the importance of getting a stop at the end of quarters without fouling.

Edited by benhillboy

This is Woody's D with a PG who could defend and not one who has no clue or ability to defend. This is the same scheme that Josh finished 2nd in the DPOY award. Horford was a beast in and Joe showed well.

You take away Jamal and Bibby and watch how much better we get on defense.

• Premium Member

This is Woody's D with a PG who could defend and not one who has no clue or ability to defend. This is the same scheme that Josh finished 2nd in the DPOY award. Horford was a beast in and Joe showed well.

You take away Jamal and Bibby and watch how much better we get on defense.

No. Woody's defense relied on switching. This defense has nothing to do with switching. Woody did the same thing in Detroit (switching) so it's not because of Bibby and Jamal.

LD's defense involves breaking up the pick and roll. Not allowing them to turn the corner.

The defense you're seeing is a version of the "Cappy" Miller Oregon St. Defense from the 1980s. Back when Lester Conner was called Lester the Molester because he was a lock down defender that bother opponents. Cappy Miller was the original architect of the 40 minutes of hell defense. Lester has taken what he learned from Cappy and have added things he learned from Pitino and Larry Brown and Jim O'Brien into it.

• Like 1