• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

joe fn johnson

HawkItus

I will say that that is the Joe Johnson we should expect in crunch time. Max money. Just imagine if he played consistently throughout the season the way he did in the 2nd half of that game..... murder.

Props to Marvin too. Big shots.

stanley2.gif

Edited by Bawse

I will say that that is the Joe Johnson we should expect in crunch time. Max money. Just imagine if he played consistently throughout the season the way he did in the 2nd half of that game..... murder.

You can't expect anyone to play that quite that well consistently, but I do wish we could see more of this against good teams. 15.6 on 39% against winning teams isn't going to cut it come playoff time.

You can't expect anyone to play that quite that well consistently, but I do wish we could see more of this against good teams. 15.6 on 39% against winning teams isn't going to cut it come playoff time.

1st half, Joe was 1-9.

2nd half, Joe was 10-14, with Hinrich on the floor. Coincidence? Maybe. But you can't help but recognize Kirk was creating and making perfect passes. The shot at the end of the 4th was pure clutch though.

Regardless it was good to see us come back and win these type of trap games, I think last season these games are the ones we would've just conceded the loss.

In the end I just ask for consistency, 1-9 shooting in the first half was bad and I was thinking it was going to be another dreadful night for Joe... but he caught fire, and this is the Joe Johnson we need in order to win playoff games.

Edited by Bawse
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

I'm outta town and missed my first game of the year. The boxscore and this thread don't give me a real feel on the game. Can someome help?

1) Were we down big in the second half? Or was it just a good comeback against an inferior team?

2) Is Teague okay?

3) All of this Joe talk..i see a steal and a three in the thread, what happened?

Any more minor details to paint the picture would be great!

OMG, we came back against a terrible team and beat them like we should. Our star player had a great second half and hit a clutch 3 to send it to overtime. I just wish I had this great feeling more often and after more important games. C'mon. Turning last night into a platform to rationalize the Joe contract and shout down his, excuse me while I puke in my mouth while I use this childish term, "HATERS" is ridiculous. But nonetheless, it's nice to see it can happen every once in a while. Just tell Joe to open up that can of 2nd half whoopass against a team that doesn't suck and he'll have a lot more respect.

• Premium Member

OMG, we came back against a terrible team and beat them like we should. Our star player had a great second half and hit a clutch 3 to send it to overtime. I just wish I had this great feeling more often and after more important games. C'mon. Turning last night into a platform to rationalize the Joe contract and shout down his, excuse me while I puke in my mouth while I use this childish term, "HATERS" is ridiculous. But nonetheless, it's nice to see it can happen every once in a while. Just tell Joe to open up that can of 2nd half whoopass against a team that doesn't suck and he'll have a lot more respect.

First and foremost, the game is not a financial game. We see what we see on the court. It kills me how fans all the same become valuators when it comes to basketball. I really wish that the details of no contract were known then maybe, it would be about the game again? As far as the game, some of what you said is correct, we are supposed to beat Detroit but on a night when we fell behind, it was good to see our team pick themselves up and play themselves into a win. That's called Heart. Ask the Knicks fans if their team has heart!!!

• Like 3

cam1218 In the first half, Hawks couldn't hit the side of the barn - from inside the barn. Detroit played a great, physical defense and while they weren't hitting a lot of shots themselves, they shut down on Atlanta. The Hawks had more turnovers in the first half than their average for entire games. Some were the hard work of the Pistons and some were just those stupid, oops type. All this accounted for the double didgit lead @ the half. Hawks fought back in the 3rd quarter. And, it was a fight. Detroit didn't just slowly give away a big hunk of their lead. I believe they were still up by 5 to begin the 4th. There they settled in to maintain that working margin. JT scored his first basket with a soaring drive to the basket. He landed on someone's foot and turned his ankle and was lost for the rest of the game. Pargo didn't see the floor as Captain Kirk stayed in for 1 1/2 quarters without releif. Zaza played a great physical game, grabbing rebounds and scoring. He had a couple of slam dunks. Josh had one of his better games. Marvin had the type game we all want him to have every night. He played some good defense, he grabbed rebounds. he was physical inside and he made his shots. JJ had a second half. Yes, he did. He, like all his teammates, could do nothing right before halftime. Down 6 points with less than one minute left, Hawks hurried down the floor and the Piston's defense aparently fell asleep. MW found himself alone behind the arch. Nothing but net for 3!! Then, half their 6 point lead erased, the Pistons brought the ball up court and started inside with it, hoping to draw the foul. Instead, JJ played the thief and brought the Hawks back down court. His spinning, fade away shot with the defense up close, settled nicely into the goal with 1.9 seconds remaining on the clock. Since he was behind the arch, this tied the game. Overtime! All the starch was taken out of the Pistons by this pair of 3's by Marvin and Joe. The Atlanta boys ran away and hid in overtime. We stay in the back pocket of the first place Heat and gained another game on the third place Magic who lost again.

Edited by Gray Mule

I feel we need to give Marvin a lot of credit for the win last night tho. Without him we dont get that W... 5 three pointers and great defense.. thats the marv weve all been wanting to see

• Like 2

Anybody have a link to highlights of this one? Sportscenter was next to worthless. The top 10 was all Heats highlights.

Check the right side of the Hawksquawk homepage as it has the 20 most current NBA.com Hawks related videos on it and the 1st one listed right now are the highlights to the game.

• Premium Member

cam1218 In the first half, Hawks couldn't hit the side of the barn - from inside the barn. Detroit played a great, physical defense and while they weren't hitting a lot of shots themselves, they shut down on Atlanta. The Hawks had more turnovers in the first half than their average for entire games. Some were the hard work of the Pistons and some were just those stupid, oops type. All this accounted for the double didgit lead @ the half. Hawks fought back in the 3rd quarter. And, it was a fight. Detroit didn't just slowly give away a big hunk of their lead. I believe they were still up by 5 to begin the 4th. There they settled in to maintain that working margin. JT scored his first basket with a soaring drive to the basket. He landed on someone's foot and turned his ankle and was lost for the rest of the game. Pargo didn't see the floor as Captain Kirk stayed in for 1 1/2 quarters without releif. Zaza played a great physical game, grabbing rebounds and scoring. He had a couple of slam dunks. Josh had one of his better games. Marvin had the type game we all want him to have every night. He played some good defense, he grabbed rebounds. he was physical inside and he made his shots. JJ had a second half. Yes, he did. He, like all his teammates, could do nothing right before halftime. Down 6 points with less than one minute left, Hawks hurried down the floor and the Piston's defense aparently fell asleep. MW found himself alone behind the arch. Nothing but net for 3!! Then, half their 6 point lead erased, the Pistons brought the ball up court and started inside with it, hoping to draw the foul. Instead, JJ played the thief and brought the Hawks back down court. His spinning, fade away shot with the defense up close, settled nicely into the goal with 1.9 seconds remaining on the clock. Since he was behind the arch, this tied the game. Overtime! All the starch was taken out of the Pistons by this pair of 3's by Marvin and Joe. The Atlanta boys ran away and hid in overtime. We stay in the back pocket of the first place Heat and gained another game on the third place Magic who lost again.

Thanks a lot Gray Mule, great description as always. I finally got to see the highlights and that sure was a great ending to the 4th.