• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Closing window?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Is there a sense of urgency for these Hawks. This year, Joe is older and making more money. Soon, it will be necessary to amnesty Joe to save money. Horf out for the season but he's signed for 4 more. Smoove has his contract coming up next season. Marvin.... same. Teague will be coming off his rookie contract soon and CapN Kirk is in his final year under contract.

Is the window closing?

Is a big move needed for this season or do these Hawks have another season in them before making a big move?

If you had your druthers... what players would still be here in 3 yrs?

In 3 years. Teague and Josh or Al, but probably not both. (Based on this season Josh, though Al is younger and a better rounded player.) If Joe can continue to play like he has this year, then fine, have him too. But if his game falls off, its looks like Amensty for him.

The Demise of Joe has been greatly exaggerated. He has never relied on foot speed and athleticism. I see Joe having productive years ahead of him but if not the amnesty is the trump card.

in a few seasons our roster is gonna AL, Teague, Joe with some decent role players and the rest vet minimums unless we make some big franchise changing moves. No way we are keeping josh after we tried to trade him a couple times and he probaly wouldnt want to sign here again.

Unless teague breaks out and become an all star type player or AL becomes like an Lamarcus aldridge type player ( which he still can be) I think we will be a sub .500 team that will be fighting for a playoff spot. (just my opinion people)

Give me Teague, Al, and whoever will be here from Trading Josh Smith. Joe Johnson is NOT a superstar, and his contract is absolutely ridiculous. If he is not cut with the amnesty clause, I will be upset. He just isn't worth what he is making. He doesn't fire the team up with a pep talk on the sidelines, and he isn't the voice of the team off the court. All of that belongs to Al Horford. Horford is the leader of this team.

I love the Smith that bangs on the boards, and stays down in the paint. I ABSOLUTELY HATE the Josh Smith that thinks he has a jump shot and takes 10 of them a game. Overall, I think he would better serve us bringing more pieces back than staying here.

do people realize that when you get amnestied you still get paid??? So the amnesty is for teams that need to clear cap space to sign major free agents, make big moves, or is over the luxury tax with a bad contract. Unless this team is looking to do any of that joe is staying no matter what.

do people realize that when you get amnestied you still get paid??? So the amnesty is for teams that need to clear cap space to sign major free agents, make big moves, or is over the luxury tax with a bad contract. Unless this team is looking to do any of that joe is staying no matter what.

I just want that ridiculous contract removed, or restructured. It is insane that we are paying a role player that kind of money, and he isn't even CLOSE to playing at the level that the REAL superstars are at.

Give me Teague, Al, and whoever will be here from Trading Josh Smith. Joe Johnson is NOT a superstar, and his contract is absolutely ridiculous. If he is not cut with the amnesty clause, I will be upset. He just isn't worth what he is making. He doesn't fire the team up with a pep talk on the sidelines, and he isn't the voice of the team off the court. All of that belongs to Al Horford. Horford is the leader of this team.

I love the Smith that bangs on the boards, and stays down in the paint. I ABSOLUTELY HATE the Josh Smith that thinks he has a jump shot and takes 10 of them a game. Overall, I think he would better serve us bringing more pieces back than staying here.

We all know the ASG overpaid him, what else is new. If Joe get's amnestied it will be when he has a year maybe 2 on his deal. If we amnesty him next season who do you replace his production on offense and defense with (and yes he still gets paid plus you have to pay for the replacement).

I just want that ridiculous contract removed, or restructured. It is insane that we are paying a role player that kind of money, and he isn't even CLOSE to playing at the level that the REAL superstars are at.

I guess you haven't been watching Hawks games closely.

The player gets paid but his salary isn't on the books for cap purposes. Chances are the ASG won't own this team for more than another year and looking at our future salary we could easily amnesty Joe after next season and we'd build around our core of Teague, Smith and Horford and we'd have room to add 2 big time free agents. So I'd guess that due to Horford's injury ownership will give this group one more year and then drop Joe and pick up some new stars in FA.

And here's a possibly crazy idea... if we could trade Marvin for an expiring contract this year, we could amnesty Joe and then we'd have enough room to go after Dwight and still add some decent players as we'd be at about $32 million Josh, Al, Zaza and Teague. A front court of Dwight, Al and Smoove would be freaking nasty!

• Premium Member

Yeah, but when you get a new contract, the owners of your old team don't have to pay that. I am in agreeance with you that our owners are not going to double pay.. but if Joe's value rises, they will amnesty him at the top of his value (real Babcockish) and let the bidding war begin.

The player gets paid but his salary isn't on the books for cap purposes. Chances are the ASG won't own this team for more than another year and looking at our future salary we could easily amnesty Joe after next season and we'd build around our core of Teague, Smith and Horford and we'd have room to add 2 big time free agents. So I'd guess that due to Horford's injury ownership will give this group one more year and then drop Joe and pick up some new stars in FA.

And here's a possibly crazy idea... if we could trade Marvin for an expiring contract this year, we could amnesty Joe and then we'd have enough room to go after Dwight and still add some decent players as we'd be at about $32 million Josh, Al, Zaza and Teague. A front court of Dwight, Al and Smoove would be freaking nasty!

Talk about Fantasy?!?

Like I told youngsta... ASG are not the owners that will amnesty Joe and pay somebody else and Joe... Fans want Joe's contract off the books, but Fans are not willing to go through life without Joe. We will immediately become the Washington Wizards. Hoping the draft could produce something good for us.. when the truth is young fellas don't win nothing and without a strong fanbase and another star player, Young fellas usually don't want to stay.

I think Josh is going to finally eek out an all-star selection this year and his value will be at it's highest. I have no doubt he is going to be traded one way or another. The only thing the Atlanta Spirit is waiting on(at least I hope they are) is for him to be an all-star and to find the best possible trade for him. I personally would like to somehow obtain a lottery pick in this years draft and an expiring contract.

Josh Smith is not going anywhere. Especially with AL out who he was outplaying while on the court in the first place. You guys can forget about the hawks being involved in any blockbuster trades for a while with the current ownership group intact. And the fellas are playing well right now, why mess that up just because the fans want you to do somethung?

• Premium Member

Josh Smith is not going anywhere. Especially with AL out who he was outplaying while on the court in the first place. You guys can forget about the hawks being involved in any blockbuster trades for a while with the current ownership group intact. And the fellas are playing well right now, why mess that up just because the fans want you to do somethung?

Why you ask? Because fans who see this team realistically know that this teams ceiling is the second round, even when fully healthy. They also know that this team is fundamentally flawed. The fans both want and deserve better.

Moreover, I think most fans are not concerned about preserving certain names on the back of the jerseys. They're concerned with preserving the name on the front. To do so effectively, change is needed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

At some point fans of Atlanta will have to realize that we are not going to get this so called elite player to come to Atlanta and play for the HAwks unless we luck up and draft one. Dwight Howard has never mentioned Atlanta and is not coming here. There are no other so called elite players available unless poster still consider players like Carmello and Amare types elite which they aren't. Any other moves would be lateral with the postential of damaging the team's salary structure. So watching the Hawks in the second round of the playoff with the potential to go to the conference finals in June sounds a heck of a lot more enjoyable than watching the Wizards or Detroit pick the Hasheem thabeet and Greg Odens of the world in June.

Edited by Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Exactly.. Thats why I laugh everytime someone mentions dwight coming here. You really think he wants to play for these owners??

I don't think he would mind playing for any owners as long as the deal is good, the team is good and the GM has a plan.

Dwight wants to go to a contender or a team with an All-Star pg(D-WIll,CP3). ATL as it is now, is not a contender, and we don't have any great PGs. Hawks and Magic are almost the same team. And with what we will have to give away to get him, we still wouldn't be a contender even if we got him.

Edited by AJtheGreat