• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Slam Dunk contest makes me

capstone21

• Admin

tired! ZZZZZ

Boring man...no originality and you need some name players in there. Kenny Smith is making it even worse.

The new voting system is terrible too. America votes before it is even over.

What is the point. This reminds me of when the contest during the late 90s before Vince Carter brought it back from the dead.

• Like 2

If none of the stars want to do it, why complain. Blame the stars like Griffin and Lebron.

• Like 2

Evans and Paul George dunks were class.

Evans or George should have won. Good that Evans won.

I watched the MJ/Nique one. It wasn't that much better than this just going by the dunks. Sometimes I think name carries these comps. Jason Richardson had one of the best dunk contest ever but people only talk about VC, Nique, and MJ. Sometimes Dwight and Squd.

• Moderators

We were probably better off without stars under this let-da-people-vote format. Texters could vote up to 100 times if I was reading the rules correctly, and could begin their voting before dunkers finished all their rounds. People aren't going to vote 100 times for Jeremy Evans if there's a Blake/LeBron in the mix. Evans could backflip a dunk from the free throw line and it wouldn't matter. Even if it was all-superstars, it would turn into a popularity contest, regardless of what dunks they pull off. Getting four undistinguished dunkers effectively evened the playing field, although I bet it wasn't really great for TV ratings.

~lw3

• Admin

It doesn't help that the winner averages less then 2 points a game (although that two ball dunk was pretty cool). There is no real invested interest in watching any of these guys. .... and dunking over a motor bike?? Come on...didn't we see that with a car last year?

The reason I've heard is that the reward money isn't worth risking potential injury to the player. So agents and owners advise against stars participating.

Bunk...As far back as I can remember, no one has ever gotten hurt during the dunk contest. Reward money? c'mon - this is their game they are already getting paid.

The big stars are just afraid to loose plain and simple. Besides, it's hard to come up with original dunks anymore without props. It's not easy.

Bunk...As far back as I can remember, no one has ever gotten hurt during the dunk contest. Reward money? c'mon - this is their game they are already getting paid.

The big stars are just afraid to loose plain and simple. Besides, it's hard to come up with original dunks anymore without props. It's not easy.

Apparently Shumpert was gonna jump over Jeremy Lin sleeping on a couch... woulda been pretty funny.

Oh well..

• Moderators

I did like Williams' dunk off Rubio's pass off the side of the backboard. I agree that anonymity worked best with the voting format as far as maintaining the integrity of the format. I also agree that it isn't fear of injury but fear of being shown up that keeps the stars away.