• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN Insider Trade Idea: Hinrich for Darius Morris and a Pick

Swatguy

http://insider.espn....as-a-big-impact

. The Atlanta Hawks trade PG Kirk Hinrich to the Los Angeles Lakers for SG Darius Morris and a first-round pick (either the Lakers' pick or Dallas' pick from the Lamar Odom trade)

Why the teams should make this trade: The Lakers are dire need of a point guard, and they've coveted Hinrich in the past. They possess a trade exception of $8.9 million acquired via the Odom trade, so they can absorb Hinrich's salary. He is a versatile combo guard who is an excellent passer and can score. He owns a nice shooting stroke and would make teams pay for doubling Kobe Bryant or Gasol and Andrew Bynum in the post.

Hinrich also offers insurance if Steve Blake is injured again. He's a tough, gritty competitor who would bring the defensive mentality Mike Brown loves. He could flourish in L.A. instead of languishing on the Atlanta bench, where he has lost traction as a result of Jeff Teague's emergence.

The Hawks have to look around at their competition in the East and realize they do not have the pieces to beat the Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls or even the Philadelphia 76ers. Although they are currently 20-14, this team cannot make a deep playoff run with Al Horford out of the lineup until possibly April or May. The Hawks need a center, and by giving up Hinrich they would be able to either grab a big man in the draft or an asset they could flip to give them roster flexibility in order to trade for a big in the offseason.

Morris is a talented point guard who should have stayed at Michigan for another year. In time, however, he could be groomed for the starter's role or serve as a valuable backup.

Where did this come from? As mentioned yesterday this needs a link to where it came from otherwise I'll have to remove it due to copyright reasons.

Never mind I found the link and updated your post. In the future please make sure that you include the source page link.

There would have to be 2 seperate trades considering that the Lakers cannot combine their TPE with picks or players so more like Hinrich for Lakers' TPE and then 2nd rounder for Morris and a 1st (although that trade itself might be illegal considering we are still over the cap). Now how that 1st helps the Hawks get a center I do not f***ing know but it's the thought that counts.

I'm guessing we'll look to get a center with our lottery or close to it pick. You are right though about them not being able to combine the player and the TPE and honestly I don't see us having a need for a guard who won't be able to offer much this year. If we're going to take 1 of their younger players I'd rather try the SF Ebanks and see if he can play at this level.

There would have to be 2 seperate trades considering that the Lakers cannot combine their TPE with picks or players so more like Hinrich for Lakers' TPE and then 2nd rounder for Morris and a 1st (although that trade itself might be illegal considering we are still over the cap). Now how that 1st helps the Hawks get a center I do not f***ing know but it's the thought that counts.

The Lakers (or Dallas) is not a lock to make the playoffs. If Kobe misses significant time they miss the playoffs. Sund needs to make both moves quickly.

• Premium Member

So, we just give HInrich away. A 1st fronm the Mavs or Lakers aint worth a plug nickel. The big market teams always get the players they want and the wannabe's loike the Hawks continue to suck. But that is the NBA, always has and always will be.

Edited by Vol4ever

• Moderators

So, we just give HInrich away. A 1st fronm the Mavs or Lakers aint worth a plug nickel. The big market teams always get the players they want and the wannabe's loike the Hawks continue to suck. But that is the NBA, always has and always will be.

We acquired him for the 27th pick in the draft (enhance that value a bit for some demonstrated performance and reduce it a bit for having to take on Bibby's salary). That seems to be about his going rate.

• Premium Member

We acquired him for the 27th pick in the draft (enhance that value a bit for some demonstrated performance and reduce it a bit for having to take on Bibby's salary). That seems to be about his going rate.

Oh Kirk is much has much better value than a end of the first round pick. Might as well say it is a second rounder. The problem is not Hinrich or Teague, its the coach. LD is not a NBA head coach.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Oh Kirk is much has much better value than a end of the first round pick. Might as well say it is a second rounder. The problem is not Hinrich or Teague, its the coach. LD is not a NBA head coach.

The Lakers as of today would be tied with us for the 20th pick in the draft. That isn't a second rounder. That is Jeff Teague, Tayshaun Prince, Josh Smith, territory.

• Premium Member

The Lakers as of today would be tied with us for the 20th pick in the draft. That isn't a second rounder. That is Jeff Teague, Tayshaun Prince, Josh Smith, territory.

The only problem with that logic is the Lakers WILL improve their club and get better if Kobe is ok, on the flipside the Hawks HAVE NO INTENTION of improving their club.

The only problem with that logic is the Lakers WILL improve their club and get better if Kobe is ok, on the flipside the Hawks HAVE NO INTENTION of improving their club.

Sometimes there is something to be said for addition by subtraction. I am a Kirk fan but since he's come back the dynamic of our offense has changed quite a bit, without a noticeable improvement in our defense. Kirk is a FA after this year so we could keep him and hope that our offense improves, which it likely will not, and lose him in the offseason for nothing or we can trade him now and get a 1st round pick for him. Considering the lack of youth on our bench I'm all for having 2 first round picks next year and I also like the chances of our offense improving once Pargo is running the 2nd unit.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If the Lakers don't trade for Howard, it is very easy to see a situation where Bynum goes down injured - yet again - and the Lakers are left struggling now that they no longer have Lamar Odom to put in the lineup when Bynum goes down. It is no guarantee that the Lakers do better over the rest of the season.

• Like 1

Sometimes there is something to be said for addition by subtraction. I am a Kirk fan but since he's come back the dynamic of our offense has changed quite a bit, without a noticeable improvement in our defense. Kirk is a FA after this year so we could keep him and hope that our offense improves, which it likely will not, and lose him in the offseason for nothing or we can trade him now and get a 1st round pick for him. Considering the lack of youth on our bench I'm all for having 2 first round picks next year and I also like the chances of our offense improving once Pargo is running the 2nd unit.

If the Lakers don't trade for Howard, it is very easy to see a situation where Bynum goes down injured - yet again - and the Lakers are left struggling now that they no longer have Lamar Odom to put in the lineup when Bynum goes down. It is no guarantee that the Lakers do better over the rest of the season.

After reading these two post... I say, make the trade! lol beer.gif

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

• Premium Member

You guys kill me............you have accepted the mediocrity that the Hawks have become. Sticking up for a guy who is not an NBA coach. A GM and ownership that let Crawford walk with no compensation, and its about to happen again with Hinrich.

Yep go ahead and trade Hinrich for some bum that is not NBA material and a draft pick that will never see the court for the Hawks. The Hawks should be trying to improve the team, not giving parts away.

You guys kill me............you have accepted the mediocrity that the Hawks have become. Sticking up for a guy who is not an NBA coach. A GM and ownership that let Crawford walk with no compensation, and its about to happen again with Hinrich.

Yep go ahead and trade Hinrich for some bum that is not NBA material and a draft pick that will never see the court for the Hawks. The Hawks should be trying to improve the team, not giving parts away.

I would do it simply for the pick. The Hawks have a history of screwing these picks up, but you could get some considerable talent with a late 1st round pick. MarShon Brooks went 25th and Norris Cole went 28th in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. We could find a player who contributes as much as Kirk w/o costing $8M a year. Darius Morris is a toss-in.

Edited by atlbraves93
  • Like 1