• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is Horf's plateau as a PF?

Wurider05

• Premium Member

Next to a LEGIT center, I think Horford can be really good. I think playing that position would help him inside, because what he might lack in refined post moves, he would more than make up for by over powering guys with his size and strength. I also think he would be an absolute handful for opponents to keep off the glass.

• Premium Member

How good of a PF can Horforf be if we were to acquire Brook Lopez?

Horf would still have to be our banger.

I think that the fact that Lopez can play low post is the only saving grace for this trade... unless we can also get a #1 pick?

Next to a LEGIT center, I think Horford can be really good. I think playing that position would help him inside, because what he might lack in refined post moves, he would more than make up for by over powering guys with his size and strength. I also think he would be an absolute handful for opponents to keep off the glass.

Agreed 100%. Horf was almost grabbin 10 boards a game playing and that was playing against centers when he always had the disadvantage in height, and possibly in strength against most guys. You put him against PF where he has a bigger body he can push people around inside and be grabbin 10+ boards a game and his low post game would improve alot against smaller defenders.

• Premium Member

Agreed 100%. Horf was almost grabbin 10 boards a game playing and that was playing against centers when he always had the disadvantage in height, and possibly in strength against most guys. You put him against PF where he has a bigger body he can push people around inside and be grabbin 10+ boards a game and his low post game would improve alot against smaller defenders.

Well, therein lies the problem. Horf doesn't have a LOW POST game. Horf is a classic High post, face to the bask player. However, unlike KG or even the Mailman, Horf doesn't have the speed or handle to be a High post guy that drives the basket. Him at C works because most Centers don't want to chase him to the high post and he can shoot over most everybody else out there. This part of the reason why you watch him crumble against defensive bigs like Asik and Noah. Those guys will chase him out to the high post and force him to do something. If you consider moving him to PF, no longer will he have those guys who won't follow him to the High post. Most of those guys live there. And he loses his speed advantage. Defensively, he doesn't have to bang as much, but can you see him trying to chase LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love? I think being at PF will make him a little more ordinary.

Well, therein lies the problem. Horf doesn't have a LOW POST game. Horf is a classic High post, face to the bask player. However, unlike KG or even the Mailman, Horf doesn't have the speed or handle to be a High post guy that drives the basket. Him at C works because most Centers don't want to chase him to the high post and he can shoot over most everybody else out there. This part of the reason why you watch him crumble against defensive bigs like Asik and Noah. Those guys will chase him out to the high post and force him to do something. If you consider moving him to PF, no longer will he have those guys who won't follow him to the High post. Most of those guys live there. And he loses his speed advantage. Defensively, he doesn't have to bang as much, but can you see him trying to chase LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love? I think being at PF will make him a little more ordinary.

Diesel I have to disagree some on this, until last season Horford and Smith owned Noah. Just check the stats man from previous years. The big difference with the Bulls now and in last years playoffs is a healthy Boozer, who is a true big man who can not only match both Josh and Al's length but he has the girth and post game to push them both around.

Until last season we literally owned Noah in the same manner we owned Bosh when he was in Toronto...Get Al a big man like Boozer to play with and I am sure you will see some post game defensive and offensive improvement from us also.

Edited by Buzzard

You would have to ask Tito.

Good one.

In his best season, he was statistically the best post defender (even better than Howard) and the best big-man mid-range shooter by far in the league if I remember correctly. If he can achieve those type of accomplishments, I'll be satisfied. But a considerably improved post repotoire on offense damn sure wouldnt hurt.

Edited by benhillboy

Depends on the center and the PG. A true center can help him better with the overall game. A legit PG would do wonders to his stats. At the end of the day, with this personnel, he's limited and that's all that matters.

Depends on the center and the PG. A true center can help him better with the overall game. A legit PG would do wonders to his stats. At the end of the day, with this personnel, he's limited and that's all that matters.

True. All things considered, an efficient 18.5 and 10.5 with his leadership and good health is what I expect next season with or without major changes to PG, C, and Josh still on the roster.

With more rebounding and much better post defense.

Basically..........an allstar.

Much better defense, skill, shooting ability, bbiq, skill, intangibles, etc. I hate this forum sometimes.

True. All things considered, an efficient 18.5 and 10.5 with his leadership and good health is what I expect next season with or without major changes to PG, C, and Josh still on the roster.

He ain't getting that if Josh Smith still on the roster. I'm tellling you that right now. Which smoove will not be imho.

Well, the thread was about Horford, so I was talking about Horford. Oops my bad. I thought Horford was 17/10 last year, but actually it was 15/10.

I believe the Hawks played at fairly slow pace last year.

Under a different pace you would see better numbers.

One thing to remember is how efficient Horford was when putting up those numbers.

Al shot 29-87 from 10-23 feet during the playoffs. No double team help defense vs. Boozer and Ryan Anderson. It all depends on how well he scores vs. defenders playing the 4 who are generally much better perimeter defenders than 5s.

I simply don't see the huge payoff with him playing forward unless he develops an off hand and post game.