• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Today might be the most dynamic day in Atlanta Hawks history

Joker

There is major talk about Dwight was getting trading to Atlanta yesterday. I spoke on this in the chat last night. Dwight got a hold of the news and said he's returning to Orlando only to change his mind since his agent wants him in NJ and he thought he could convince them to not trade him and he can opt out anyway. I've said it once, he doesn't want to be in Atlanta. The city would turn on him if he left. Josh tells him how terrible Atlanta is all the time nor does his parents respect Atlanta as a Basketball organization.

I've already said Atlanta is willing to put everyone(which is mainly Al, Joe, and Josh) on the block for Dwight and take Hedo's contract which almost no one is willing to do outside of Atlanta for a rental. Not even NJ. It's also said that a combo of Joe and a choice of either Al or Josh but not both is what's on the table. Orlando really didn't want Joe's contract but for the talent, that's the best offer on the table for an unextended Howard. Houston doesn't want to part with Lowry. The other contenders didn't want to part with their key pieces and Orlando doesn't want Brook Lopez at all. Horford is the piece that might get us a rental Dwight but they really wanted Josh instead of Joe but Atlanta barely wanted to offer Horford so offering both Smith and Horford is overkill. While no one is mentioning it media wise, it's likely, not possible but likely Dwight will be a Hawk. I have no clue who Orlando wants more, Al or Josh but I would take a bet that Josh and Dwight will be teammates and the lineup would look like it does now except take out Joe for Marvin and Zaza for D12.

Do you think this is a championship roster?

PG: Teague, Pargo

SG: Hinrich, Stack, T-Mac

SF: Marvin, Turk

PF: Josh, Rad, Ivan

C: D12, Zaza, Collins, Dampier

I have absolutely no belief that would be a championship roster.

But that wold be a hell of a way to kick off a rebuilding period once Dwight left...

And Dwight will leave. He's basically told everyone that he's a rental for everyone but Brooklyn. The issue with Atlanta is that the squad is an excellent defensive team as it is with Joe. With Dwight, this is the best defensive team in the NBA with a lot of great three point shooters. This would be the Orlando Magic on steroids. Dwight could win it all in Atlanta. If he wins it all in his hometown with his best friend. It would be PR hell for him to leave for NJ and if he gave a lackluster performance it would be the same. His ideal choice is NJ but Orlando doesn't want none of their pieces outside of Deron. They really don't want Brook Lopez. His foot issue is drawing serious press among personnel in the league saying he might not be half the player when it's all said and done. The one thing I know is NJ isn't getting Dwight in a trade today. Heck, S. Curry stock is very low for the same reason and it's a legit concern. Injuries have derailed a lot players more talented than Curry and Lopez and will continue to as well.

If he is traded on a rental, his agent clearly prefers Houston to Atlanta. No exp. No loyalty. He can leave with no quarrels. Houston won't win it all anyway. He gets to play with Lowry who's a quality PG.

Atlanta is too much of a plan breaker and Orlando knows that as well. Orlando would really prefer not to have Joe's contract but Horford or Smith is the player they want.

You can tell Atlanta fans a thousand times that Dwight will just be a rental but once the wins come and Josh and Dwight play together, Fegan knows it will be hard for Dwight to kick Atlanta to the side.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Well I'm having a hard time picturing what a deal with Dwight would look like.

Considering this is the day of the deadline... throw us out a possible scenario so we can better get our heads around it.

Dolfan, just today will you let more speculative trades (like this one) be out in HomeCourt?

Well I'm having a hard time picturing what a deal with Dwight would look like.

Considering this is the day of the deadline... throw us out a possible scenario so we can better get our heads around it.

Dolfan, just today will you let more speculative trades (like this one) be out in HomeCourt?

Atlanta gets: Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu

Orlando gets: Al Horford, Joe Johnson

Straight up.

Other deals are

Houston: Dragic, Scola, Daly, Martin for Dwight and Jameer

Chicago: Boozer or Deng with Gibson

NY: Amare

Boston: Rondo and KG for Dwight and Jameer. They aren't interested in a deal for Rondo for Dwight. In fact a couple months ago, they didn't want Smith as a main piece either which is why they wanted Atlanta to offer Horf but they wouldn't if it was a rental.

Cleveland: They offer everyone but Thompson and Irving. Even offer a 1st which intrigued them.

LA: Gasol and everyone outside of Bynum and Kobe

NJ: Everyone outside of Deron and they offer numerous picks which will be late of course. Orlando really doesn't like their offer. It's behind some rental ones.

That's all I've gathered so far. Most of these deals have been on the table. Orlando called some teams up for pieces but those teams wouldn't bulge if he's just a rental.

I think I would consider a deal like the one you mentioned:

Simply based on the fact that it rids us of Joe Johnson and is horrible contract.

I hate that we would lose Horford, but it sets us on the rebuilding path, which could very well be what we need barring a miracle.

I really doubt Orlando would want to take on Joe though because they have already used their amnesty on Gilbert Arenas.

Guest Walter

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219758/Dwight_Howard_Admits_Mistakes_Plans_To_Opt_In

Dwight has been a f$ck-up throughout all of this. Wow. I'm, glad for him that he apologized for his waffling, baffling positioning, but I doubt staying in Orlando one more year (likely, as Orlando isn't getting better any time soon) is going to solve anything but perhaps help him financially. It may even hurt his PR should the same sort of thing happen next year.

Why couldn't he just be candid and say, "I love Orlando. The fans have been great to me and I love my team mates. Despite the best of intentions, I believe Magic management has made some catastrophic roster decisions while I've been here. I currently do not think we can build a contender in the next few years. I am willing to give management until the trade deadline this season to prove to me otherwise. I would like to be a part of a winner and my decision to opt in or out will be determined by my belief as to whether the Orlando Magic can accomplish that within the next year or two."

Howard doesn't have to believe this and it offers wiggle room, but it at least is "candid". It also puts the onus on management, not him for whether or not he decides to stay. Therefore the fans have ownership to blame.

Dwight has handled this so poorly he almost out-Lebroned Lebron. Oh well, likely Dwight is off the table.

W

He's not opting in. He's telling Orlando that so they don't trade him to a rental like Atlanta. He wouldn't be so quick to cry if it was Houston. He knows he can leave without much fanfare. He trying to get Orlando to keep him so he can go to NJ but Orlando wants no part of it. He said he will sign the opt out on Thursday but he wouldn't, he's just saying that to keep from being traded. Orlando is a business, they gave him the papers, told him to sign it and he doesn't want to at all.

I think I would consider a deal like the one you mentioned:

Simply based on the fact that it rids us of Joe Johnson and is horrible contract.

I hate that we would lose Horford, but it sets us on the rebuilding path, which could very well be what we need barring a miracle.

I really doubt Orlando would want to take on Joe though because they have already used their amnesty on Gilbert Arenas.

Considering the deal makes me feel uncomfortable, it's probably a fair one. I definitely can see why Orlando does it, and it is huge for us in the short-term. Building on Joe/Horf while getting rid of Hedo's contract is not bad considering they will be left high-and-dry if they don't trade Dwight by today.

Long-term, while I've been a major proponent of doing anything to rid ourselves of Joe's contract, is a bit scary. Losing Horford with his favorable deal just stings... but is probably a necessary evil.

If we do this deal, would we be able to sign and trade Dwight at the end of next season should he decide to walk?

We could, but he probably would not agree to it. He'd sign a four-year deal instead of five as they both are priced at about the same. If a sign-and-trade were done, the team he'd be traded to would be stripped of assets and hurt his chance of winning. Considering he'll get a max deal again in four years, he'll sign freely in the open market.

If we do this deal, would we be able to sign and trade Dwight at the end of next season should he decide to walk?

A SnT for Howard would get us something weak like Marshon Brooks. In all fairness, Atlanta fans will be extremely hurt if D12 left. It's easy to say well he's just a rental right now since he's not in Atlanta but once he's here, winning games and playoff series, we contend. Atlanta fandom would be at an all time high, it would be extremely hard for D12 to walk and think nothing of it. In fact, I would say Atlanta fans would be more hurt than Orlando fans because Atlanta will have extreme success with Howard. Orlando fans know this is the end of the road.

The funny thing is, Atlanta would be rebuilding if they lost Horf and Joe and Josh would leave too. Atlanta would kill their franchise but they should probably blow it up anyway. Their like 20-something in attendance and this personnel needs a PG and a center no one is available. Orlando does this trade, drafts Kendall Marshall and signs a center and they have a much better personnel grouping than this current Hawks team for the future even though Atlanta has more talent.

Marshall - Next Mark Jackson

J-Rich

Joe

Horf

Center.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

So if we do this deal, we are giving up Horford in order to get rid of Johnson's contract, plus one season of Dwight-Josh and not much else. The only way this makes sense is if we can get Dwight and Josh to sign new deals with us.

So if we do this deal, we are giving up Horford in order to get rid of Johnson's contract, plus one season of Dwight-Josh and not much else. The only way this makes sense is if we can get Dwight and Josh to sign new deals with us.

Consider the alternative: we stay as is, add nobody next year because we can't, and Josh is gone anyways. Unless we make a splash, I think Josh will be out. Also, Joe's contract will continue to cripple us.

While it is obvious that this move will help us this year, it rids us of one MAJOR problem in Joe's contract but it takes away one of our building blocks (Horford). However, there is obvious upside as you mentioned Josh and D12 signing long-term. Truthfully, I could see this happening with the love they'll get here.

Philips would be sold out quite a bit... every player would love coming back and playing for their hometown team with their best friend and contending for a title every year. I think it's a situation that once he gets in it, it'll be hard to leave.

Edited by ryandauwalker

Guest Walter

He's not opting in. He's telling Orlando that so they don't trade him to a rental like Atlanta. He wouldn't be so quick to cry if it was Houston. He knows he can leave without much fanfare. He trying to get Orlando to keep him so he can go to NJ but Orlando wants no part of it. He said he will sign the opt out on Thursday but he wouldn't, he's just saying that to keep from being traded. Orlando is a business, they gave him the papers, told him to sign it and he doesn't want to at all.

I realize he hasn't signed the opt-in papers yet but this suggests his intention is to do so. He would be in a Lebron-tough position if he didn't do so after these comments. We will see.

I would definitely do JJ/Horford for Dwight. I don't know about included 1st or 1sts but I would like to keep this year's pick regardless. Imagine then adding JT/Hinrich/1st for Nash.

W

...every player would love coming back and playing for their hometown team with their best friend and contending for a title every year. I think it's a situation that once he gets in it, it'll be hard to leave.

I agree. 3 p.m. trade deadline is coming along quickly. Will Dwight sign his opt in?

I wouldn't bet anything that Atlanta can convince him to stay. He really really wants NJ. In his mind, he's already a Net. If winning was important, he would be with the Bulls right now.

Horford is one of the best players in NBA. He's a movement player that somehow is putting up WS better than Alonzo M at the same stage while out of position with a bad fit squad. Imagine what he would do with a PG and in a right fit. He's not someone to trade and think nothing of it. He's the one player you better get someone extremely impactful for. He's not Josh or Joe where they would never overcome their flaws.

Nash isn't getting traded. I hoped he would but he wants to stay. Loves the city, staff, and organization.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I would hate, just hate to lose Horford. The one draft pick we got right. I wanted Joe to retire a Hawk also, but dang man we are stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. On one hand we lose 2 all stars to gain a rental of d12 and make a major run to the title. Then we are in rebuilding mode, which we probably need to do anyways. On the other hand if we dont make a move Joe's contract hurts us for 5 more years and we lose Smoove a year from today and we are stuck with nothing.

I hate to say it but i think we should make a play Joe and Horf straight up. Im not moving any picks since we are going to need them when D12 leaves so we can rebuild.