• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - Jazz

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

The Beehive State ballers are on a roll, victors of their last 6 games, and primed in March (10-4) to turn upside down a bad February where they went 4-11. Included in this six-game streak are one win at Staples Center against the Lakers, without Al Jefferson, and a home win against the Thunder two days later.

The Jazz’ aggressive approach at the glass (2nd highest offensive rebounding rate) gives them 4.1 additional shots per game than their opponents, a value second only to Memphis. They are stocked with talent in the power forward position, with Jefferson’s scoring and defensive rebounding, Paul Millsap filling up much of the boxscore, and lottery youngsters Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter stepping up as needed. Unlike the last few games, the Hawks cannot fall way behind and expect to use rebounding to crawl out of their self-dug hole.

The Jazz suffered a setback with the loss of starting small forward Josh Howard for the season after he needed to undergo knee surgery. But, perhaps inspired by March Madness, former Butler star Gordon Hayward may be finding his balance right on time for the Jazz. After regaining his starting spot, in the last two games he’s scored at least 15 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. Hayward gets to the line much more often as of late and has made 46 of his last 50 free throws.

The only major turd in the otherwise sparkling team chemistry right now is the backcourt situation. Veteran guard Raja Bell will continue to miss time after he and his agent sought a second opinion on a knee the team thought had healed. Frustrations with losing his incumbency as the starting shooting guard boiled over in a confrontation with Coach Ty Corbin two weeks ago, and may have something to do with this latest medical request. Corbin seems quite happy to go with C.J. Miles as a starter, and may soon turn to rookie Alec Burks, a better defender.

Jamaal Tinsley is now first off the bench behind Devin Harris, a move Corbin tried to assure Earl Watson is not intended to be permanent. Watson, recovered from a sprained ankle but benched in all but three minutes of the last three games, is less-than-convinced and is reportedly consulting his agent as well. It’s the kind of wrinkle that comes with having veteran talent and depth at several positions. Both Watson and Tinsley are among the NBA’s top 10 in Assist Rate, while Utah as a team has the fourth lowest Turnover Rate. Harris was scoring less than 10 points per game before the latest Jazz streak but has been in double-figures every game since, averaging 7 assists in his last four games to boot.

Sharpen up on your free throws in practice, as the Jazz will take advantage of their frontline depth to send you to the charity stripe repeatedly. Utah’s opponents are second only to Toronto in free throw rate, and the Jazz commit the second most personal fouls per game.

3-point shots are not Utah’s forte. The Jazz and the Bobcats are the only teams shooting under 31 percent, and Utah makes a league-low 3.8 treys per game, taking only around 14.5% of their shots from deep. Expect the Jazz guards and wings to drive to the cup, rather than shoot over you. Utah is one of just three teams to take more than half of their shots within 10 feet of the rim.

The Hawks need to attack the rim right back, as Jefferson is not exactly a defensive juggernaut. Utah opponents make buckets at the rim at a 66.7% clip, second only to Sacramento for highest in the League. Joe Johnson and Zaza Pachulia can make hay at mid-range as well, as the Jazz give up a league-high 44.6% of field goals from 10-15 feet. Opponents haven’t figured that out, however, taking only 6.0 shots per game at this range (fewest in the league).

Currently trending locally on Twitter for his resemblance to Perry Jones III, Tracy McGrady should be available tonight. Hoping Dampier will get Collins' minutes tonight.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

Always good to see a former Hawk doing well in Corbin. The team plays very similarly to the Sloan squads with probably a little less picking and a little more running. That Haywood kid is sneaky good, Sap always brings his lunchpale, and Jefferson has a post repetiore reminiscent of the 80's when big men could combine multiple techniques to clear space, catch, and get off the shot they want. Josh will have his hands full down there, but he's never one to back down against bigger guys. I don't think they have a perimeter defender who can stop Joe for 4 quarters, so he should have a nice run to help determine the game, hopefully it dosent come late with drama. Kentucky should inspire Teague, seeing his little brother advance to the Four. He has shown a penchant for getting dominated by some guards, Harris shouldn't be one of them as his playmaking ability is either on point or awful. Winning at Energy Solutions is no easy task, but I wanna say Hawks in another squeaker, finally against a quality team buying Coach Drew a little good grace on the Squawk (.557 winning percentage, 2 semi-final wins, eh?) Double-digit boards from Zaza, efficient minutes from Ivan, and someone other than Joe getting hot from downtown should do it.

Edited by benhillboy

Will miss the first half (Church) so try to keep things close untilI get back - OK?Things have gone well for Atlanta for a while - This one worries me.Facing a red hot team and having played on Friday and Saturday nights,We come to the game tonight with our energy low.Home cooking should be good, but will it help us tonight? Our home courtsometimes sounds like the visitor's home. Will it tonight?GO HAWKS!!

^Only correction: tonight's game is at the Highlight Factory (aside: someone mentioned the NBA tries not to schedule games in Utah on Sundays, is that true?)

Mormons are not big on working on the Sabbath so they don't schedule Sunday home games because of the event staff and fans aren't supposed to do anything remotely close to work related.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Joe Hater Club is officially DEAD. DEAD as in DEAD. Joe with 18 first quarter points and cold as damn ICE hitting that last shot to end the period. Poor little Joe Haters! Now you gotta get at the end of the bandwagon.

• Like 1

What the f&@k is going on with Joe? He get hit by gamma rays or something? This gotta be his first 50 point game. If he's hungry, he'll take it.

LD put Joe on ice....held him out for too long in 2nd Q - he won't hit 50, might not get to 30.

Joe Hater Club is officially DEAD. DEAD as in DEAD. Joe with 18 first quarter points and cold as damn ICE hitting that last shot to end the period. Poor little Joe Haters! Now you gotta get at the end of the bandwagon.

I sure do love these d*ck headed kind of posts. Just keeps the negative vibe truckin along but hey, I'll be your Huckleberry. Josh is having a pretty good game I think too.I love the way these 2 seem to be finally complimenting each other though. Good games to watch lately. Edited by thatsmydawg

• Premium Member

I sure do love these d*ck headed kind of posts. Just keeps the negative vibe truckin along but hey, I'll be your Huckleberry. Josh is having a pretty good game I think too.I love the way these 2 seem to be finally complimenting each other though. Good games to watch lately.

I'm glad you love those posts, they'll keep coming. Just like now. JOE FN JOHNSON WITH THE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Premium Member

I hate to sound like a broke record but where ya at now Joe Hater Club? 37 points in FIFTY FIVE minutes playing on a third night of back to back to back? GTFO if you still hate a man that can do that. That was one of the best games in franchise history we witnessed tonight.

Posted Today, 02:32 AMI hate to sound like a broke record but where ya at now Joe Hater Club? 37 points in FIFTY FIVE minutes playing on a third night of back to back to back? GTFO if you still hate a man that can do that. That was one of the best games in franchise history we witnessed tonight. I just think josh is better. Dont hate joe. Nothing has changed for me other than joe earning his pay lately.Joe still struggles in one on one situations with the clock going down. It's plays like that that remind me he can't take us to Ringville.