• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta continues to show why they have the worst fans

capstone21

I live in Australia and would give anything to be able to watch the Hawks live in Atlanta on a regular basis. Its a shame people who live in Atlanta take having a good NBA team to watch for granted, the best league here is AUS is lucky to have a few NBA rejects.I went to Atlanta last year to see a home game, best day of my life. Every game on TV I watch through some crappy internet stream I cant help but wish I was there cheering them on and help giving them a true home court advantage.The Hawks last year went out of there way to grant me my wish of meeting assistant coach Nick Van Exel, he was my favorite player and hero growing up. The Hawks didnt have to do anything, I already paid for a ticket and being from Australia I cant buy season tickets....but ill always love the Hawks for caring about the little guy and ill always be forever greatful to the team.I just hope some of the people who attend regularly appreciate how lucky they are, as someone like me would love to be there in person.Would like to mention the cheer squad who hold up the big posters of the players faces, you guys do a great job supporting the team and one day If I can ever afford to return to Atlanta for a vacation Id love to get tickets and sit up there in all my Hawks gear with you. Keep up the good work, and go Hawks.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The cheer squad is obviously a group paid by the team to be there. Notice they have all kinds of professionally produced props. Not a single one of them ever leaves the section before the game is over. Its not a bad idea but a little bit pathetic.When we show up against the big teams people will get behind the Hawks. In the 90s you had Braves fan in every ball park in the country.

• Premium Member

I'm glad someone brought up the guys with the big heads. There is no way these aren't being paid by the team to do that. They get almost as much camera time as the team does when you watch the game locally. I think its a great idea to have those heads, it is so cheesy you have to love it, but the fact not one of them posts on Hawksquawk shows they are paid. Any real Hawks fan knows about this site.

I think the guys in the "Fan Zone" are selected as part of a completion for the best Hawks fans and given season tickets in that section. I'm sure it's sometimes friends of friends that end up here. No matter, as long as they keep up the support.Would be awesome if the ASG could dedicate that whole section and stick the drum line in there or something. I think it's pretty cool they gave up that ticket revenue regardless.

Where do all these fans come from? Any time we meet ANY opponent, they have fans here.All Atlanta residence were not born and raised in Atlanta and surrounding areas. They movehere because of work available and Atlanta being a great southern city. When they come here,they continue to be fans of whatever team they grew up following.When that team comes to Atlanta, these fans flock to the arena to watch their team. These fansare mostly north of here. Magic and Heat fans probably just come to Atlanta to enjoy their teamsand spend their money here.Another thing. Do the Hawks spend a lot of money and effort promoting themselves outside the 285 corridor?I don't know. Just asking.-------------------------------------

• Like 1

Read the message boards for an example. There is at least 5 topics a day bashing players or critizing a player. How many topics do we see a day of giving compliments to players? It's basically the whole ATL fan base, but mainly the Hawks. We as fans point out all the negative stuff we can pull out from a player and use it against them. It's sad, but it is what it is. I can't do nothing about it. I rather point out the positives than the flaws, unless their flaws out weight their positives. Makes no sense to me. You wonder why no one wants to play for any ATL team (except Braves). You can argue against my point, but I know I'm right. I'm a huge Steelers fan, and I hardly ever come across so much negative reads about our players. Even back in the earlier years when we were horrible, I never seen a fan base be so negative to their team as the Hawks have. Honestly, If was on the Hawks and was and one of the top players on the team, I would leave in a heart beat.You can make excuses for what ever you want, but it's the same ol same excuses ATL fans have used for years. Wish we were more like a Golden State fanbase. They can have the worst team in the league and fans will still be there cheering for them. Not us. We're way to damn picky.And right when we run the players out of town, we usually do even worse than the year before. You never know what you have until it's gone. ATL fans need to start appreciating that we even have a NBA team.

Edited by AHawks89

Being born and raised in Atlanta I can speak on the lack of hawks love for at least my generation. I don't know when or why it started but I remember being made fun of as a kid for rooting for the Hawks. Now, I was born in '87 and during my lifetime the hawks has been relatively good. In the 90's we were playoff fixtures but like everybody else Jordan happened to us. With the Pacman logo hawks they could never get over the hump and beat Boston. I personally been a hawks fan my whole life and have a few friends my age who has as well and we did not grow up in households that pulled heavily for sport teams here mainly because our parents had to worry about life too much. If you look at the true demographics of Atlanta up till just recently it has been a predominantly black low income city. Now combine that with a whole lot of transplants you get nights like the bulls game. I myself did not go to a hawks game until I was in the 11th grade because the school gave out free vouchers and I caught a ride there. If my mom had money I would have attended much more. Even now due to financial reasons I can't go to games like I would want to, and it sucks. I personally try to go to games where it's not against a more popular team simply because I may get into a fight with someone. I almost did some years back with one guy who was rooting for Phoenix who was sitting next to me. I yelled at him and told him to shut up! He never said another word for the rest of the game either.

• Moderators

I was born and raised in Atlanta and i have to say that this isn't really just about the Hawks and I get really enraged about it. To me this is the greatest place to live and i wouldn't want to live anywhere else for an extended period of time. I love other cities too but Atlanta is a great place to be. There has always been this culture of inferiority in Atlanta and it manifests itself in many ways. The thing is that it shouldn't at this point. You still have people who want to change Atlanta from what it is to what they think it should be. Being an Atlantan and an Atlanta fan has never been hip for whatever reason. I'd love to see more pride in the city and less tolerance of forces who want to use Atlanta for their own interests at the expense of the city. This is my main beef with ASG is that they grossly mismanaged the Thrashers and sold them out of town. It was a disservice to all of us in the city but they had taken it to a point where almost no one cared. It didn't have to be that way.

In a city the size of Atlanta you have to make noise. Bulldogs beat Florida, Auburn, or any of the elite SEC schools that is noise. Tech in the glory years of Cremins beating Duke and N.C a game or two every season that is some noise. The Falcons beating Minnesota, Tampa, Philly or Dallas that is some noise.The Hawks best noise against the elite in the last 20 years was LOSING to Boston in 7 games, then its flops since then against the elite. Do not blame the casual fan if they do not want to see the Elite beat their hometown team. After 30 or 40 years it gets redundant to say the least...

For a perfect *ss example:

We shouldn't settle for mediocrity. Is it wrong for us to get mad when a player decides to do something stupid (shoot jumpers when he shouldn't), I don't think so.

Arrogant. What's funny is that it seems to only happen to ATL Hawk fans. I don't see it in any other ATL sport. People choosing sides between players on teams for the Falcons or Braves. If you congratulate a player for doing excellent, then they feel that their player is be downgraded, so they feel like the new to retaliate. I wish the Hawks fans would come together as one and enjoy ATL Hawks basketball. It's what we have, we can't do nothing about it. It's pathetic that I only see this as Hawks thing. That's why I'm starting to think most Hawks fan only watch NBA.

I wonder if most Hawks fan are just basketball fans or sports fanatics. I'm starting to think most people that love the Hawks only like the NBA.

Edited by AHawks89

For a perfect *ss example:Arrogant. What's funny is that it seems to only happen to ATL Hawk fans. I don't see it in any other ATL sport. People choosing sides between players on teams for the Falcons or Braves.I wonder if most Hawks fan are just basketball fans or sports fanatics. I'm starting to think most people that love the Hawks only like the NBA.

I think it is just like any other sport to be honest. Most sports fans love sports. It is the history of futility that kills the Hawks karma if you will. Here is some of it:The Hawks have the 2nd longest drought as it concerns making it to the NBA finals. 50 seasons and counting, 2nd only to the Kings. And of course, 2nd longest for a NBA Championship as well. Now here is some more sad news, since 1990 we are one of only nine teams that have not been to a final. Add in that we have not had a legitimate 1st team all-star/superstar since Nique, is it any wonder why the owners have a hard time selling tickets?You can call Atlanta sports fans arrogant but you can also call the Hawks past 20 yr history pitiful...even more sad than their 50 year history.....it is hard to market pitiful! Edited by Buzzard

Look at the Red Sox before they won the World Series.. I could name teams over and over. It's mainly ATL Hawks only. I understand what you're saying, I wish we could make it to the finals too, better yet win the finals. It's just crazy how shitty our fans our. Us not showing up don't help either. We expect some billionaire owner to come in and give it to us. Hawks fans are way to needy and hardly appreciate anything, if anything.

Look at the Red Sox before they won the World Series.. I could name teams over and over. It's mainly ATL Hawks only. I understand what you're saying, I wish we could make it to the finals too, better yet win the finals. It's just crazy how shitty our fans our. Us not showing up don't help either. We expect some billionaire owner to come in and give it to us. Hawks fans are way to needy and hardly appreciate anything, if anything.

Look at Boston. Boston did try and they did spend a fortune every season on players trying. Again our one superstar in the past 20 years vs Bostons five to ten....its no contest the Sox tried. We just twiddle our thumbs and stick with our core!