• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ENOUGH w/J Smoove Hate

frankthetank966

I'm sick and tired of all these fans in Atlanta talking about how much they hate J Smoove. For the past few years he has been the goat of the franchise. It was inevitable he would miss that shot last night and fans would blame Smith for the loss. I challenge you to not only look at the stats in the playoffs, but look even further into the seasons stats.First off, Smith was playing with an injured knee. He sat out one game and decided to come back immediately. Smith averaged 16.8 PPG in the series, shot 38%, 4.8APG and 13.8 RPG. He not only shot a higher FG % than Joe Johnson, he also average more assists throughout the playoffs. Josh Smith put up his best season, and nobody even took notice. Smith tallied 18.8PPG, 9.6RPG, 3.9 APG while shooting 45% from the floor. Joe Johnson, who put up a similar FG%, matched Smith PPG and APG.During the playoff and regular season there's no comparison on rebounds, because JJ only averaged 3 in each.If you want someone to blame, look at Joe Johnson who was shut down by Paul Pierce and was inconsistent throughout the series offensively and defensively. Despite playing very well in the final 4 minutes, Al Horford had 7 turnovers. Or you can blame the team for loosing to a more motivated team.This was a team effort. The Hawks had multiple chances down the stretch to seal the deal. Teague missed a layup, JJ missed his fade-away jumper, JSmoove missed an 18-footer (that he hit most of the 4th quarter) and Al missed the teams only FT. WE win as a TEAM, and WE loose as a team.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It isn't all on Josh. He still has the potential to be the best player on this team if he can just play to his strengths instead of his weaknesses on offense. I am frustrated with the jumpers (as always) but am not ready to ship him out just to be rid of him. Joe doesn't make plays like the block of Bass and the threatened block that led to a key turnover by Rondo. Josh nets out to the positive but the negative side of things makes it so much easier on our opponents than it needs to be. I would definitely either look to trade him or to bring in a coach to try to get him to play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. The status quo is only OK if we plan on repeating the playoffs results of the last two years.

• Premium Member

It isn't all on Josh. He still has the potential to be the best player on this team if he can just play to his strengths instead of his weaknesses on offense. I am frustrated with the jumpers (as always) but am not ready to ship him out just to be rid of him. Joe doesn't make plays like the block of Bass and the threatened block that led to a key turnover by Rondo. Josh nets out to the positive but the negative side of things makes it so much easier on our opponents than it needs to be. I would definitely either look to trade him or to bring in a coach to try to get him to play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. The status quo is only OK if we plan on repeating the playoffs results of the last two years.

Josh needs a coach. This entire team needs competent coaching. The halfcourt offense is putrid. It is so frustrating to see the team still not know what to do on offense after 2 years under Drew. The Hawks REALLY need a good coach out there. I think a good coach would make Smoove the best PF in the East. DId I mention that the Hawks need a new coach?

What kind of player begs for a technical while waiting to come into the game tho and not just any game, a crucial game thats a must win or go home. And what kind of coach sits there and stands right next to him and lets him do it. The teams gotta be rebuilt simple as that, and I would rather see Josh leave than Joe or Al. Al proved his worth these last couple games. We could get back a legit SF and a draft pick easily for him. Then stat Zaza at C.

Edited by hawkrule152

If Smith had 7 turnovers and missed the most clutch free throws of the year, there would be 100000 threads about it right now. Don't have to worry about that though because Horford was that guy.

Edited by AHawks89
  • Like 1

If anyone had to be blamed for the loss, it's Al Horford.

The guy who scores 11 points in the 4th quarter? Yeah that makes sense. Don't blame the guy that went 1-8 in the 2nd half and took the worst shot of the season with 7 seconds on the shot clock and Ryan freaking Hollins guarding him. Smith doesn't deserve all of the blame for the loss. Neither does any one player or coach but they all share some blame.
  • Like 3

If Smith had 7 turnovers and missed the most clutch free throws of the year, there would be 100000 threads about it right now. Don't have to worry about that though because Horford was that guy.

Wouldn't have needed that free throw if Smith hadn't gotten that horribly dumb tech against him.

Horford definitely cant be blamed for this loss, because honestly, if he hadnt have played, we would have lost by an even bigger margin. Im gonna get slandered for saying this, but Horf was our most clutch player the last 2 games. (and no dont every1 bring up that FT). He dominated the 4th qtr of both of those games. Without him we would have been out in 5 games.

The guy who scores 11 points in the 4th quarter? Yeah that makes sense. Don't blame the guy that went 1-8 in the 2nd half and took the worst shot of the season with 7 seconds on the shot clock and Ryan freaking Hollins guarding him.Smith doesn't deserve all of the blame for the loss. Neither does any one player or coach but they all share some blame.

Haha I originally wrote this, but had to edit it out because to many people would raise hell. Was going to act like the people who say that about Smoove, but had to delete it so people won't flip. But yeah, those last few minutes were rough. But that don't change the fact about people posting 1000 threads if Josh had 7 turnovers and missed clutch free throws; regardless if he had put up 30 20 and 7 assist. Edited by AHawks89

Josh needs a coach. This entire team needs competent coaching. The halfcourt offense is putrid. It is so frustrating to see the team still not know what to do on offense after 2 years under Drew. The Hawks REALLY need a good coach out there. I think a good coach would make Smoove the best PF in the East. DId I mention that the Hawks need a new coach?

Agreed, the only reason Hawks got so far was based on talent. I didn't see much coaching the whole season. I also thought LD kept the starters out of the 4th qtr. way too long. 6 mins? C'mon bro!

What kind of player begs for a technical while waiting to come into the game tho and not just any game, a crucial game thats a must win or go home. And what kind of coach sits there and stands right next to him and lets him do it. The teams gotta be rebuilt simple as that, and I would rather see Josh leave than Joe or Al. Al proved his worth these last couple games. We could get back a legit SF and a draft pick easily for him. Then stat Zaza at C.

In his defense, the ref messed up the call big time. Josh was in the wrong and in the right. If it had been the Celtics, the player would have been allowed in.

+1

Wouldn't have needed that free throw if Smith hadn't gotten that horribly dumb tech against him.

Also if Al didn't have 7 turnovers we wouldnt have needed that 1 pt. We can go back and forth all day. The tech is one facet of the game you deal with.

Agreed, the only reason Hawks got so far was based on talent. I didn't see much coaching the whole season. I also thought LD kept the starters out of the 4th qtr. way too long. 6 mins? C'mon bro! In his defense, the ref messed up the call big time. Josh was in the wrong and in the right. If it had been the Celtics, the player would have been allowed in.+1 Also if Al didn't have 7 turnovers we wouldnt have needed that 1 pt. We can go back and forth all day. The tech is one facet of the game you deal with.

If Josh and JJ don't shoot 35% for the game we don't need Al's FTs.

• Moderators

The difference for me with Smoove and Horford is that I want Horford catching that pass and getting fouled even if he misses the free throws. I don't want Smith shooting that jumper even if he makes it. Over the long haul, Horford will do very well by that play and Smith won't.I don't think it needs to be picking the "one player" who should bear the blame. Horford turned the ball over too much (no big surprise given the rust after months off - see, for example, the struggles of ZBo and Manu when they came back from less significant injuries); JJ didn't score effectively; the bench was worthless in the second half; Josh shot 1-8 in the second half; the entire team and coaching staff brain farted on Horford's second free throw; Teague struggled almost all night; etc. There is blame to share, just as there would be credit to share if they won - Horford did everything else well and was huge down the stretch; JJ was big during the 3rd quarter burst to catch up; Josh had several big plays on defense and some nice feeds passing the ball on offense and continued his good work on the boards; Teague finally made some shots in the second half; etc.The big question is where to go from here with Josh, and my view is that we hold him and try a new coach unless someone gives us a good package for him. I don't want to deal him for an expiring deal and the #15 pick. I would try to understand whether he wants to be in Atlanta long-term or not because that would seriously influence my thinking as well. New ownership remains the biggest game-changer for this franchise.

• Premium Member

The difference for me with Smoove and Horford is that I want Horford catching that pass and getting fouled even if he misses the free throws. I don't want Smith shooting that jumper even if he makes it. Over the long haul, Horford will do very well by that play and Smith won't.I don't think it needs to be picking the "one player" who should bear the blame. Horford turned the ball over too much (no big surprise given the rust after months off - see, for example, the struggles of ZBo and Manu when they came back from less significant injuries); JJ didn't score effectively; the bench was worthless in the second half; Josh shot 1-8 in the second half; the entire team and coaching staff brain farted on Horford's second free throw; Teague struggled almost all night; etc. There is blame to share, just as there would be credit to share if they won - Horford did everything else well and was huge down the stretch; JJ was big during the 3rd quarter burst to catch up; Josh had several big plays on defense and some nice feeds passing the ball on offense and continued his good work on the boards; Teague finally made some shots in the second half; etc.The big question is where to go from here with Josh, and my view is that we hold him and try a new coach unless someone gives us a good package for him. I don't want to deal him for an expiring deal and the #15 pick. I would try to understand whether he wants to be in Atlanta long-term or not because that would seriously influence my thinking as well. New ownership remains the biggest game-changer for this franchise.

I'm of the thought process that you have to move him. The Hawks simply can't afford to lose him for nothing. And yet, all the signs are pointing to him leaving. The trade request, the unnessecary comments about the fans, etc...It all adds up to him leaving in free agency. What's more, there will be suitors like Boston, Orlando and more for his services who quite frankly will probably be ranked above Atlanta on his wish list. I think holding on to him too long is asking for trouble. If you go into next season with him and things aren't working out and you want to deal him, you won't have much leverage to get the deal you want because a team won't trade valuable assets for a rental.

The difference between Joe and Josh is I honestly think Joe is doing about the best he can. He's just not good enough to be "the man." Josh on the other hand plays to his weaknesses constantly. EVERYONE on the planet knows Josh has horrendous shot selection except Josh.

• Premium Member

There are people that hate on him. But mostly, I think the majority of people who criticize him simply want him playing at his potential. That'st he best shot this team has at anything. Despite all that though, some people who defend Josh still don't get it.It's not about the missed shot, or the technical, or the turnovers...it's really simple. This game was decided by a couple of possessions. There is no defense for losing a game like that, when you have a guy doing something that is just 100% not necessary. For many reasons, on both ends of the floor, Josh Smith has been my favorite Hawk for a long time. But if it's a one possession game, elimination situation, he should not be taking a jumper. He should DEFINITELY not be taking a fadeaway jumper. And on no planet in all the nine realms do you have Josh Smith taking a fadeaway, contested, long jumper, with a hand in his face. Some possessions in the game are more critical than others. You deserve some significant blame when you make a critical play like that. Moreover, you take that shot, you take the blame that comes with missing it.As for turnovers, well...they're just a part of the game. But there are some turnovers that are just as good as GIVING the ball to the opposition. Josh should never be leading the break. Man...that is the equivalent of posting up Jeff Teague on Kevin Garnett or Dwight Howard.There is much blame to go around for the loss, not a whole lot though...because the guys played EXTREMELY hard and BS calls played a huge part. But in the end, you simply CANNOT play basketball like that, in that kind of game, and expect to win.You just cant.....

• Like 1