• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who sent this stat to Mark Bradley?

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

from:http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/05/18/the-hawks-move-to-keep-larry-drew-and-more-hope-fades/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

The most damning number on Drew involves, as do many damning Hawks numbers, Josh Smith: In his final season under Woodson, Smith took 263 shots of 16 feet or longer (this according to Basketball-Reference.com); in his first season under Drew, he took 526.

This is actually a good stat so I know it didn't come from the AJC.

So which one of you sent this to MB?

Josh had to shoot the ball more. We just didn't have many options. Joe was only going to play within himself. As a winning team, you can't expect Joe to take a lot of shots when defense specifically game-plan for him. No Jamal or Al. That's the reason why Josh did what he did. Does it make him smart, no but I understand. Looking back at everything this past season. Josh is the player I am least mad with. I am mad at ASG more than anything. The fact that Josh was what he was showed me a lot. Josh might not be a Hawk much longer but he can still be an impact player and maybe more.

This is the main reason I want Josh traded. He kills our offense with those shots and with his insistence on handling the ball too long or being the guy to lead the ball up the court.

Josh Smith has a negative impact on half court offense. He's an up-tempo tweener who can play PF. If you are a running team with an up-tempo PG, you can improve greatly with Smith. As for the playoffs. I don't think so. Smith isn't a championship player. then again, there are several talented players who I don't think are championship players but are tier 1 players. Personnel is everything.

Josh Smith was 2nd in the league in shot attempts from 16' out and more........1st was Kobe.Evidently Josh has the shot selection of Kobe Bryant. That is his problem. He surrounds himself with "yes men" who give him bad advice and it has caused him to be down right delisional about what kind of player he actually is.

• Like 1

He needs to show the shooting % at that range though. If he took more shots but his shooting was better, it probably isn't as damning.There were a few games this year where Smoove got going form that range and it really helped the team.Obviously not his best shot, but if he's working on it and getting better, I don't hate it.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

He needs to show the shooting % at that range though. If he took more shots but his shooting was better, it probably isn't as damning.There were a few games this year where Smoove got going form that range and it really helped the team.Obviously not his best shot, but if he's working on it and getting better, I don't hate it.

That's the thing. No one wants to admit that Josh has been getting progressively better at jump shooting. Yeah he should be working on his post game, but he should also get credit for working on the part of his game that needed the most improvement. Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Something to consider is if this team kept the way it is, will Josh's numbers be the same or better than last year? I doubt it. The reason he averaged more points per game is because he took more shots. With Al back, he won't get anywhere near the shot attempts he got last year. On top of that, what will his shot selection look like with the shots he does get?

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

That's the thing. No one wants to admit that Josh has been getting progressively better at jump shooting. Yeah he should be working on his post game, but he should also get credit for working on the part of his game that needed the most improvement.

The thing is......he hasn't improved. 8 years at it and had only one season of close to mediocre production from there......that was last year.But excuse me, I'm just a hater.He's second to only Kobe shooting from that distance but.....shooting 4% worse....and it's not as if they are contested pullup/fadeaway/step back/double teamed/ hand in his face/daggers.....they are wide open set shots.But excuse me, I'm just a hater.
  • Like 3

• Moderators

That's the thing. No one wants to admit that Josh has been getting progressively better at jump shooting. Yeah he should be working on his post game, but he should also get credit for working on the part of his game that needed the most improvement.

Couldn't disagree more.

Josh Smith

10-15 feet: 31% on 0.8 attempts per game

16-23 feet: 39% on 4.3 attempts per game

3pt range: 33% on 2.0 attempts per game

2011 Overall 10ft+ Jump Shooting %: 36.4% // efg% 45.7%

10-15 feet: 34% on 0.7 attempts per game

16-23 feet: 37% on 6.3 attempts per game

3pt range: 26% on 1.6 attempts per game

2012 Overall 10ft+ Jump Shooting %: 34.6% // efg% on jumpers: 39.4%

How is this (a) improving or (b) a good thing that his shot volume just continues to increase on these long jumpers?

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Couldn't disagree more.

Josh Smith

10-15 feet: 31% on 0.8 attempts per game

16-23 feet: 39% on 4.3 attempts per game

3pt range: 33% on 2.0 attempts per game

2011 Overall 10ft+ Jump Shooting %: 36.4% // efg% 45.7%

10-15 feet: 34% on 0.7 attempts per game

16-23 feet: 37% on 6.3 attempts per game

3pt range: 26% on 1.6 attempts per game

2012 Overall 10ft+ Jump Shooting %: 34.6% // efg% on jumpers: 39.4%

How is this (a) improving or (b) a good thing that his shot volume just continues to increase on these long jumpers?

This is dead on. Smoove lovers look at his overall FG% and think that is ok. What they do not think about is almost two thirds of his jump shots equal a turn over and he shoots a lot of them. He is a PF that could easily shoot .475 or higher if he would quit the chucking. But it aint happening. Seven years and counting, I am tired of counting.

Well, while we are at it- why the heck does he just keep trying to bring the ball up court by himself on a fast break rather than pass it to Teague. Two bad habits which he could easily change and turn himself into a great player. Not by doing something impossible, but something easily within his ability to control. Anyway, he says he wants to be traded. Its time to do it.