• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danny Ferry New GM

HawkItus

I'm just waiting for a second press release, correcting the first by stating that they actually signed Ferry to be their new starting SF.

"I've still got something left in the tank," Ferry said in a recent interview. "I beat my wife in HORSE 8 times out of 10."

Edited by HawkRock1123

• Moderators

I'm just waiting for a second press release, correcting the first by stating that they actually signed Ferry to be their new starting SF.

"I've still got something left in the tank," Ferry said in a recent interview. "I beat my wife in HORSE 8 times out of 10."

David Stern: "Danny, when did you stop beating your wife?"
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Does anyone happen to have a history report on Ferry's draft picks?

NineOh posted the following history on all his moves:

Edited by AHF

Posted Image

[*]June 28, 2005: Traded future considerations and a 2006 2nd round draft pick (Ejike Ugboaja) to the Orlando Magic for Martynas Andriuskevicius.

[*]June 28, 2005: Traded Jiri Welsch to the Milwaukee Bucks for a 2006 2nd round draft pick (Lior Eliyahu).

[*]August 2, 2005: Signed Larry Hughes as a free agent.

[*]August 2, 2005: Signed Donyell Marshall as a free agent.

[*]September 8, 2005: Signed Damon Jones as a free agent.

[*]September 17, 2005: Signed Alan Henderson as a free agent.

[*]September 27, 2005: Signed Zendon Hamilton as a free agent.

[*]September 27, 2005: Signed Mike Wilks as a free agent.

[*]February 6, 2006: Signed Stephen Graham to two 10-day contracts, then signed to a contract for the rest of the season.

[*]February 23, 2006: Traded a 2006 2nd round draft pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for Lee Nailon and a 2006 2nd round draft pick (Daniel Gibson). Philadelphia did not receive the 2nd round draft pick because Cleveland did not finish with at least the third best record in the league.

[*]February 23, 2006: Traded Mike Wilks to the Seattle SuperSonics for Ronald Murray.

[*]June 28, 2006: Selected Shannon Brown (1st round, 25th pick), Daniel Gibson (2nd round, 42nd pick) and Ejike Ugboaja (2nd round, 55th pick) in the 2006 NBA Draft.

[*]August 18, 2006: Traded Martynas Andriuskevicius to the Chicago Bulls for Eddie Basden.

[*]August 18, 2006: Signed Scot Pollard as a free agent.

[*]September 5, 2006: Signed David Wesley as a free agent.

[*]October 13, 2006: Traded Luke Jackson and cash to the Boston Celtics for Dwayne Jones.

[*]September 27, 2007: Signed Devin Brown as a free agent.

[*]September 29, 2007: Traded David Wesley to the New Orleans Hornets for Cedric Simmons.

[*]October 29, 2007: Signed Demetris Nichols as a free agent.

[*]February 21, 2008: As part of a 3-team trade, the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Donyell Marshall and Ira Newble to the Seattle SuperSonics; the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Shannon Brown, Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes and Cedric Simmons to the Chicago Bulls; the Chicago Bulls traded Joe Smith, Ben Wallace and a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Danny Green) to the Cleveland Cavaliers; the Chicago Bulls traded Adreian Griffin to the Seattle SuperSonics; and the Seattle SuperSonics traded Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

[*]February 22, 2008: Signed Kaniel Dickens to the first of two 10-day contracts.

[*]February 22, 2008: Signed Billy Thomas to two 10-day contracts, then signed to a contract for the rest of the season.

[*]March 13, 2008: Signed Lance Allred to two 10-day contracts, then signed to a contract for the rest of the season.

[*]June 26, 2008: Selected J.J. Hickson (1st round, 19th pick) in the 2008 NBA Draft.

[*]June 26, 2008: Traded a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Robert Dozier) to the Miami Heat for Darnell Jackson.

[*]June 26, 2008: Purchased Sasha Kaun from the Seattle SuperSonics.

[*]August 4, 2008: Signed Tarence Kinsey as a free agent.

[*]August 13, 2008: As part of a 3-team trade, the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Joe Smith to the Oklahoma City Thunder; the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Damon Jones to the Milwaukee Bucks; the Milwaukee Bucks traded Mo Williams to the Cleveland Cavaliers; the Milwaukee Bucks traded Desmond Mason to the Oklahoma City Thunder; and the Oklahoma City Thunder traded Adreian Griffin and Luke Ridnour to the Milwaukee Bucks.

[*]September 5, 2008: Signed Lorenzen Wright as a free agent.

[*]September 29, 2008: Signed Jawad Williams as a free agent.

[*]September 30, 2008: Signed Ronald Dupree as a free agent.

[*]January 12, 2009: Signed Jawad Williams to the first of two 10-day contracts.

[*]February 3, 2009: Signed Trey Johnson to the first of two 10-day contracts.

[*]March 4, 2009: Signed Joe Smith as a free agent.

[*]April 9, 2009: Signed Jawad Williams as a free agent.

[*]June 25, 2009: Selected Christian Eyenga (1st round, 30th pick) and Danny Green (2nd round, 46th pick) in the 2009 NBA Draft.

[*]June 26, 2009: Traded Sasha Pavlovic, Ben Wallace, cash and a 2010 2nd round draft pick (Dwayne Collins) to the Phoenix Suns for Shaquille O'Neal.

[*]June 26, 2009: Purchased Emir Preldzic from the Phoenix Suns.

[*]July 13, 2009: Signed Anthony Parker as a free agent.

[*]July 24, 2009: Signed Jamario Moon as a free agent.

[*]August 12, 2009: Signed Leon Powe as a free agent.

[*]October 1, 2009: Signed Coby Karl as a free agent.

[*]January 23, 2010: Signed Cedric Jackson to the first of two 10-day contracts.

[*]February 17, 2010: As part of a 3-team trade, the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Emir Preldzic and a 2010 1st round draft pick (Lazar Hayward) to the Washington Wizards; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Sebastian Telfair to the Cleveland Cavaliers; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Al Thornton to the Washington Wizards; the Washington Wizards traded Antawn Jamison to the Cleveland Cavaliers; and the Washington Wizards traded Drew Gooden to the Los Angeles Clippers.

[*]March 23, 2010: Signed Zydrunas Ilgauskas to a contract for the rest of the season.

Good move I think. This organization needs some fresh blood and a new way of thinking.Probably means no moves in this years draft though but look out come trade deadline and next years draft.

NineOh posted the following history on all his moves:

I freaking love the draft picks he selected considering what number they were picking in the draft

• Premium Member

Call me a negative Nancy...but I think the whole Spurs tree things has been overblown. Throw out some names of ex Spur coaches/front office people to have done anything of note afterwards. How many of those titles were won without future HOFers doing the heavy lifting? Not all luck, but they're not exactly bunch of basketball scientist over there either.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

I freaking love the draft picks he selected considering what number they were picking in the draft

They were mostly solid but not move the needle type picks:2006: Shannon Brown and Daniel Gibson over the move-the-needle Paul Millsap2007: #22 and #24 picks in the draft previously traded by Cleveland for Welsch and Pavlovic (boo)2008: JJ Hickson over Ryan Anderson, Serge Ibaka, Nicholas Batum, DeAndre Jordan and others; 2009: Christian Eyenga drafted in Round 1 over DeJuan Blair, Marcus Thornton, Jodie Meeks and others; Danny Green in Round 2 (#48) was excellent value, although he didn't do much in Cleveland.Solid, but not much to write home about at the end of the day.

They were mostly solid but not move the needle type picks:2006: Shannon Brown and Daniel Gibson over the move-the-needle Paul Millsap2007: #22 and #24 picks in the draft previously traded by Cleveland for Welsch and Pavlovic (boo)2008: JJ Hickson over Ryan Anderson, Serge Ibaka, Nicholas Batum, DeAndre Jordan and others;2009: Christian Eyenga drafted in Round 1 over DeJuan Blair, Marcus Thornton, Jodie Meeks and others; Danny Green in Round 2 (#48) was excellent value, although he didn't do much in Cleveland.Solid, but not much to write home about at the end of the day.

Hey, solid is better than a complete miss. All of those players are servicable players in this league. I'd take them over many of the misses that we've had.

The way I see it the amount of money and thelength of Ferry's contract will determine how much power he has. I'm just glad this is a total departure from what the ASG has been doing over the last few years...something diferent and unexpected.

The Hawks started this off-season off on a weak note by resigning Drew. Some spectators believe he did a great job with the Hawks last year especially with all the injuries that occured. He is cheap and could be a bargain. I personally think he needs a fire under his butt, he is too passive. Great guy, doesn't know how to motivate his team.This is a very interesting move. Ferry has so much potential.

I give LD half a season or maybe Ferry's 1st move would be announce they are going in a different direction and replace LD.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

it is telling that Ferry got Pres of basketball ops as well as GM. This is a move that I hope signals Gearon is stepping away from the day to day opps of the team.Let's also hope the scouting department gets a significant upgrade.Lastly, in looking at Ferry's record, the guy can wheel and deal. Multiple 3-way trades. Those are hard to pull off and he did it twice with the Cavs. This makes me think he was brought in because management knows the team needs to be reconstructed.

• Premium Member

I give LD half a season or maybe Ferry's 1st move would be announce they are going in a different direction and replace LD.

Happened in the NFL. Raiders fired their 1st-year coach when they bought in a GM. I'm not into seeing guys fired, but if he is fired that's saying something. To me it says Ferry is in complete control, since we know ASG would not initiate the idea of paying 2 coaches. Edited by NineOhTheRino

For the first time in several years. I am actually excited about the Hawks again. This hire really has lifted my spirits as a Hawks fan. Ferry is too smart to accept this job with this current ownership unless they promise to be just owners and let Ferry do what he need to do.

I would say things are looking up. I value the Spurs' tree very highly, so now we'll have someone who can think critically and outside of the box. With an actual scouting department made of intelligent basketball minds, I would expect him to finagle a young starting-quality foreigner and wrestle away a very valuable pick from someone in the mid first round within 3 or 4 years. Getting rid of Joe sooner than later will be a magic trick though.

Hey, solid is better than a complete miss. All of those players are servicable players in this league. I'd take them over many of the misses that we've had.

Sounds like AHF wants perfection...............that game can be played with any GM.If you told me last week the Hawks should hire Danny Ferry.............I would say you nuts b/c there is no way a top candidate like Ferry would come to Atlanta................but I'm sure glad that he did. Edited by coachx