• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brooklyn and Atlanta are engaged in talks on a possible Joe Johnson trade

GameTime

His advanced stats based on minutes were solid as was his defensive impact. Aminu is not half the player Marvin is right now.

Which "advanced stats" would those be? And where does he rank among SF's in the NBA at them? And what are the guys ahead and behind him being paid?

Which "advanced stats" would those be? And where does he rank among SF's in the NBA at them? And what are the guys ahead and behind him being paid?

In WP48, he is 9th. In overall wins produced, 11th. He's 9th in total rebounds per 48, and is actually a decent offensive rebounder. There are some guys like Jared Dudley, Jeremy Evans, Renaldo Balkman, Matt Barnes...etc that are definitely cheaper ahead of him.

PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48 15.8 .542 .494 6.0 16.9 11.5 7.7 1.7 0.9 6.8 18.0 113 101 2.7 2.1 4.9 .156

http://www.82games.c...112/11ATL10.HTM

Look at his opponents per 48 and look at his. He is only giving up 11.7 and they are shooting 27% iFG. You are right, we can find someone like Richard Jefferson or Aminu to do that right?

Edited by Joker

A person with knowledge of Atlanta's plans said Ferry and the Nets are involved in trade discussions involving Johnson, a six-time All-Star. The Hawks were not close to making a deal as of Sunday afternoon, but the teams planned to continue talks, according to the person.The person said the proposed trade of Johnson is one of several being discussed by the Hawks. That's an indication that Ferry, hired last week to replace Rick Sund, is willing to make major changes to the roster by trading one of the team's core players.The person did not want to be identified but was quoted as saying " The Hawks dont want to shoot they wad all in one trade". Sorry I couldnt resist,.

Edited by NJHAWK

Marvin usage rate is 17.9. Statistically, he is an efficient SF. He has some of the better tools in the NBA at the position. Defensively, he is a top 10 defender for his position. But you want to amnesty him? Why? It doesn't make sense.

Can't a chunk of those offensive numbers be chalked up to the fact that he doesn't do much to create his own shot and just stands around waiting to be left wide open? It's not like we can just give him the ball more and expect those numbers to be the same.I do agree that he is a pretty good defender though and I'm neutral on amnestying him or not.

Guest Walter

Question: WHEN does someone have to be amnestied? Before the season or during the season. Ideally we could amnesty MW during the season but before he picks up his option, but I don't think we amnesty MW unless we have a bigger FA fish in mind and need the money to get them. MW's contract alone might get us a 1st rder next year. W

In WP48, he is 9th. In overall wins produced, 11th. He's 9th in total rebounds per 48, and is actually a decent offensive rebounder.There are some guys like Jared Dudley, Jeremy Evans, Renaldo Balkman, Matt Barnes...etc that are definitely cheaper ahead of him.

Jeremy Evans and Renaldo Balkman made me laugh. Renaldo barely played this year. Evans did nothing except compete in the dunk contest. They should be cheaper than Marv. They aren't even close to the player he is.

Question: WHEN does someone have to be amnestied? Before the season or during the season. Ideally we could amnesty MW during the season but before he picks up his option, but I don't think we amnesty MW unless we have a bigger FA fish in mind and need the money to get them. MW's contract alone might get us a 1st rder next year. W

Before the season. It must be used within 7 days of the official start of free agency.
  • Like 1

Can't a chunk of those offensive numbers be chalked up to the fact that he doesn't do much to create his own shot and just stands around waiting to be left wide open? It's not like we can just give him the ball more and expect those numbers to be the same.I do agree that he is a pretty good defender though and I'm neutral on amnestying him or not.

He doesn't stand around, he actually is in constant movement. His issue is he doesn't demand the ball and he doesn't create his own shot. He is someone that rather play a role than be a true option. Edited by Joker

A person with knowledge of Atlanta's plans said Ferry and the Nets are involved in trade discussions involving Johnson, a six-time All-Star. The Hawks were not close to making a deal as of Sunday afternoon, but the teams planned to continue talks, according to the person.The person said the proposed trade of Johnson is one of several being discussed by the Hawks. That's an indication that Ferry, hired last week to replace Rick Sund, is willing to make major changes to the roster by trading one of the team's core players.The person did not want to be identified but was quoted as saying " The Hawks dont want to shoot they wad all in one trade".Sorry I couldnt resist,.

Are you sure this didn't come from Nique?
  • Like 1

I just dont think Marvin is a SF. He plays well when he has to replace Josh at the 4 .

I don't like Marvin's lack of passion for the game, his passive nature even the way he moves up and down the court. He runs the court like an old man with a bad back... He lacks ball handling skills, a post game and the ability to create his own shot. He is more less a decent defensive player with some 3 point shooting ability... Although he hasn't even be a consistent 3pt threat throughout his entire career. He is totally the Ty Corbin of this core. Edited by Hotlanta1981

I don't like Marvin's lack of passion for the game, his passive nature even the way he moves up and down the court. He runs the court like an old man with a bad back... He lacks ball handling skills, a post game and the ability to create his own shot. He is more less a decent defensive player with some 3 point shooting ability... Although he hasn't even be a consistent 3pt threat throughout his entire career. He is totally the Ty Corbin of this core.

He actually is a good player when his is aggressive. He easily gets to the basket and can create off the dribble. Under any coach beside LD and Woodson, Marvin probably would have developed into a great player, but its too late for him now.

He actually is a good player when his is aggressive. He easily gets to the basket and can create off the dribble. Under any coach beside LD and Woodson, Marvin probably would have developed into a great player, but its too late for him now.

He has a very quick first step but gets uncoordinated badly from there. His aggressiveness is like Josh Smith and Andrew Bynum consistency. It's rarely there. Edited by Joker

He doesn't stand around, he actually is in constant movement. His issue is he doesn't demand the ball and he doesn't create his own shot. He is someone that rather play a role than be a true option.

His usage rate is only 17.8, but he gets to the free throw line at a higher rate than Joe Johnson despite the fact that Joe's usage rate is 25. At his current usage rate, Marvin shoots 4.7 free throw attempts per 48 minutes compared to Johnson's 4.2 at a 25 usage rate. Because of his propensity of getting to the free throw line, Marvin should maintain some efficiency with an increased work load on offense.

His usage rate is only 17.8, but he gets to the free throw line at a higher rate than Joe Johnson despite the fact that Joe's usage rate is 25. At his current usage rate, Marvin shoots 4.7 free throw attempts per 48 minutes compared to Johnson's 4.2 at a 25 usage rate. Because of his propensity of getting to the free throw line, Marvin should maintain some efficiency with an increased work load on offense.

Joe is much better than Marvin. My point is Marvin is a solid player and isn't bad value at SF at his price. This has nothing to do Joe who is a much better player.

Joe is much better than Marvin. My point is Marvin is a solid player and isn't bad value at SF at his price. This has nothing to do Joe who is a much better player.

IMO, Joe is just paid better and has a better reputation. Marvin is more efficient, better defender, and better rebounder. Joe is nothing more than a spot up jump shooter. That's it.

IMO, Joe is just paid better and has a better reputation. Marvin is more efficient, better defender, and better rebounder.Joe is nothing more than a spot up jump shooter. That's it.

Joe is much much better on offense, can create his own shot, is a playmaker, and defender as well. Marvin style of play and only taking shots when the coverage is off explains his efficiency. Joe is all around very good. Marvin is solid, if used correctly, could be a good SF. Edited by Joker

In WP48, he is 9th. In overall wins produced, 11th. He's 9th in total rebounds per 48, and is actually a decent offensive rebounder.There are some guys like Jared Dudley, Jeremy Evans, Renaldo Balkman, Matt Barnes...etc that are definitely cheaper ahead of him.

Thank you for taking the time to look that up KB... and for confirming what I suspected. Marvin is a nice kid but he's grossly overpaid for what he brings to the table.

IMO, Joe is just paid better and has a better reputation. Marvin is more efficient, better defender, and better rebounder.Joe is nothing more than a spot up jump shooter. That's it.

LOL I am so glad you are not our GM. Replace Marvin's role with Joe's role and let's see what happens.