• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We completely lost in the deal.

Joker

Do you think we won or lost the deal?   

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm no capologist. But is there a real possibility, no matter how remote, that we could eventually have CP3, SG, Smoove, Al, D12??? That's a ring right there...

No, the only way that happens is if these guys decide to take discounts.CP3-14Jenkins-2Smith-14Horford-12Dwight-16Something like that but they can't afford to cap Al, Josh, and give both CP3 and Dwight max deals

• Moderators

The nets will enjoy JJ's game for a while, then choke on his deal

This. That team of theirs is going nowhere but an early exit:Deron - Stud if he is dumb enough to resignJJ - Good player; terrible contract.Crash - Very bad contract and aging quickly.Humphries - Great rebounder but doesn't do much else.Lopez - Solid scorer but squeezably soft. 7 footer who averages 6 rpg in 2010-11 and 3.6 rpg his 5 games in 2011-12. Ugh.That is not a team that is going places in the playoffs but is a team that is capped out for quite a while.

• Moderators

No, the only way that happens is if these guys decide to take discounts.CP3-14Jenkins-2Smith-14Horford-12Dwight-16Something like that but they can't afford to cap Al, Josh, and give both CP3 and Dwight max deals

You have to let Josh walk or get rid of Horford's contract to sign them since I don't think they will take discounts. Paul, Horford and Dwight seems pretty unbelievably exciting. Nothing more than a fantasy at this point but at least one that is viable on paper.

The Nets have all but completed a trade for Joe Johnson, the six-time all-star, league sources tell NetsDaily. In return, the Hawks get expiring contracts and a first round pick. NOT included in the trade: MarShon Brooks and Gerald Green. The Nets also didn't have to give up their own first round pick in the trade. The trade will not be finalized until July 11.Johnson, who is still owed $89.3 million over the next three years, was dealt for Anthony Morrow; Jordan Farmar, who will be bought out at Atlanta's expense; Jordan Williams, Johan Petro, a signed-and-traded DeShawn Stevenson and the Rockets 2013 lottery protected first round pick.As a result of the trade, the Nets are now eligible for the full $5 million mid-level exception (which they reportedly will use to sign Bosnian forward Mirza Teletovic) and the $1.95 million bi-annual exception. They also retain two trade exceptions worth $3.0 million and $1.30 million, acquired in the Gerald Wallace trade; $3.0 million in cash considerations; Kris Humphries Bird Rights; all their own first rounders from 2013 through 2018 and the draft rights to two top European players, Bojan Bogdanovic and Toko Shenghelia.We traded: Joe JohnsonWe get: Jordan Farmar who will be broughtJohan PetroJordan WilliamsSnT DeShawn Stevenson2013 Houston lotto protected pickAnthony MorrowThe best piece is Morrow who is a borderline starter. The rest are scrubs. This sucks. We better get Dwight HowardTeagueMorrowMarvinSmithHorfordMan, this is a 43-45 win team that will be a 1st round exit without question.

Do you really think that Ferry is done?

Do you really think that Ferry is done?

This thread looks highly questionable right now but needless to say, when supporters questions the GM's and owners, they go to work and make the darn thing happen.

You have to let Josh walk or get rid of Horford's contract to sign them since I don't think they will take discounts. Paul, Horford and Dwight seems pretty unbelievably exciting. Nothing more than a fantasy at this point but at least one that is viable on paper.

Surrounded with snipers like Morrow and Jenkins. At least we can dream big for a while. Edited by coachx

I'll believe a player of CP3 or D12's caliber is coming through that door when I see it.That said, this was absolutely necessary and it has nothing to do with who we are getting back. The team was capped out and hit its ceiling in the 2nd round, in traditional Hawks fashion. JJ is declining and that deal will be the albatross of the league in 2 years' time, plus you have JSmith's contract coming up and that fractured relationship.This team was coming down from the mountain. Thanks for the memories.

Edited by jhay610

You know the real driver behind the Joe deal? Nique.Joe must have joked about breaking his Hawks scoring record and Nique was on the phone moments later invoking his "Danny Manning clause" with the owners.Nique don't play that, Joe.

We lost because we did not solve any of our real problems.If Dwight walks through the door next July fine other than that we lost.Teague-$6Jenkins-$2Smith-$14Horford-$12Dwight-$18$52 mill on 5 players is just as bad as what we were currently in which was $61-62 mill for 6 players. Dwight may be a superstar but he is no offensive juggernaut. He better be a superstar and able to sell out arena nightly or we lost badly.

so it's fine only if Dwight walks through the door? It wouldn't be fine if Andrew Bynum and James Harden walk through the door?You would rather have Joe/Smith/Al rotting as the core they were than Harden/Smith/Horford/Bynum???? ok....

so it's fine only if Dwight walks through the door? It wouldn't be fine if Andrew Bynum and James Harden walk through the door?You would rather have Joe/Smith/Al rotting as the core they were than Harden/Smith/Horford/Bynum???? ok....

I get where you are coming from there are other scenarios than just Dwight and CP3 and that is nice to speculate and dream about but why would the Lakers let Bynum just walk away and why would he just walk away from LA to Atl and the same for Harden and his situation? We are not the only team to ever have cap space, many have had it and end up settling for people they don't want or nothing at all.

• Premium Member

What bothers me the most about the trade is that we got nothing for it except cap relief. That's it. We couldn't even get Brooks or Gerald Green, just a Rockets lottery protected first rounder. I love Joe and I hated that contract but we could have gotten at least Brooks added in it. We walk away from that deal significantly worse as a team and frankly with all the hope about getting these superstars here there's other teams also with cap space waiting for next offseason to lure those same players as well. This of course is assuming those guys don't simply remain on the teams they are with or get traded to.

What bothers me the most about the trade is that we got nothing for it except cap relief. That's it. We couldn't even get Brooks or Gerald Green, just a Rockets lottery protected first rounder. I love Joe and I hated that contract but we could have gotten at least Brooks added in it. We walk away from that deal significantly worse as a team and frankly with all the hope about getting these superstars here there's other teams also with cap space waiting for next offseason to lure those same players as well. This of course is assuming those guys don't simply remain on the teams they are with or get traded to.

Sorry, but is disagree that this team is significantly worse without Joe Johnson. Joe is a good player, but he is not a player that creates wins. The Hawks over the past two years won 67% of their games that Joe did not play in. I don't see them suddenly becoming a 30 win team because they traded a player that produces between 5-6 wins a season for salary relief. In fact, I think the subtraction of Joe Johnson will actually allow the offense to flow better. You won't have Joe stopping the ball movement, and there will be no more relying upon Joe in isolation. That crutch is gone. The Hawks have been at their best over the past two years when they move the ball and have player movement. I theorize that this is the reason they are successful without Joe in the line up.

I am shocked that there are prople who don't get how great this trade was. The Hawks had hit their ceiling as about the 4th or 5th best team in the East.Where is the fun in knowing you are going to loose in the first or second round every year. You have to get bad to get great in the NBA. This season is gone. Just forget about it...it has been sacrificed for the greater good.The players coming back to Atlanta do not matter...none of them will be here more than a year.

• Premium Member

Sorry, but is disagree that this team is significantly worse without Joe Johnson. Joe is a good player, but he is not a player that creates wins. The Hawks over the past two years won 67% of their games that Joe did not play in. I don't see them suddenly becoming a 30 win team because they traded a player that produces between 5-6 wins a season for salary relief. In fact, I think the subtraction of Joe Johnson will actually allow the offense to flow better. You won't have Joe stopping the ball movement, and there will be no more relying upon Joe in isolation. That crutch is gone. The Hawks have been at their best over the past two years when they move the ball and have player movement. I theorize that this is the reason they are successful without Joe in the line up.

If this is the team we bring into the season and no trades are made it will struggle to win 35 games.You completely undervalue Joe's contribution by some blind reliance in "advanced" metrics. There is not one player on this roster that can reliably create their own shot now that Joe is gone.

You guys kill me. You complain about Joe makes to much money. Now that he is gone some of us are still complaining. Ferry did what had to be done in order for us to move forward.

If this is the team we bring into the season and no trades are made it will struggle to win 35 games.You completely undervalue Joe's contribution by some blind reliance in "advanced" metrics. There is not one player on this roster that can reliably create their own shot now that Joe is gone.

Who cares ?I'm willing to sacrifice a season for a run at greatness.