• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vescey "Joke" : Are the hawks relocating to STL? (not legit)

ncthompson11

• Premium Member

The ASG owes a $100+ million dollar debt to the city of Atlanta and the Fulton County Recreation Authority. This has to be paid off before the Hawks can move. Legally, this debt can be paid off early and the team could be moved right now, but it will cost an additional $75 million dollars to do so. For whomever might be looking to buy and move this franchise, these are additional costs that have to be factored into the purchase.

I don't know the market value of the Hawks, but someone just bought the Grizzlies for around $350 million. Lastly, if the team was moved, they may also be looking at an additional relocation tax/fee from the NBA (when the Thrashers moved, they were hit with a $60 million fee).

Also consider that the NBA would have to approve this move. Why would they, considering:

- The team has a brand new arena (probably the largest factor in terms of cities losing an NBA franchise)

- The NBA has a huge TV deal with TNT (based in Atlanta)

- Atlanta has one of the TOP 10 viewing markets in the country (link)

- Atlanta is the SECOND largest market for African Americans (link)

- Atlanta responds in a MAJOR way to marketable athletes

- they come out in droves to support the better teams

- see the record for single game attendance in the NBA (link)

While playing at the Dome, the Hawks broke the NBA single-game attendance record with 62,046 fans and went on to break the single-season home attendance record as well.

Atlanta is also a popular city that attracts all sorts of entertainment and sports figures. Once a winner is on the court, with a desirable face and play style, it will attract fans to the games. Lots of them and they will buy lots of merchandise. It will also attract viewership. These are things that the NBA WANTS. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely that the NBA is going to approve someone to to grossly overpay for the Atlanta Hawks and move them to a new city, with a much smaller market, any time soon.

Dolfan can we get some kind of sticky on this? Seems every week someone pops in with a rumor about us being moved...lol

• Admin

You can't compare viewing audience to supporting the Hawks. They are copletely differnet things. Atlanta has never really supported the Hawks (not really during the Nique years....not during the Deke/Smitty/Mookie years...and not during the 50 win teams from Smith/Horford/JJ years)This is nothing to do with them moving .... I don't see them moving either but saying we have a large television audience is no reason to say that this is why we have a team here.

• Premium Member

You can't compare viewing audience to supporting the Hawks. They are copletely differnet things. Atlanta has never really supported the Hawks (not really during the Nique years....not during the Deke/Smitty/Mookie years...and not during the 50 win teams from Smith/Horford/JJ years) This is nothing to do with them moving .... I don't see them moving either but saying we have a large television audience is no reason to say that this is why we have a team here.

It's a factor. I'm not trying to imply that all of these people are watching the Hawks, but it is to the NBA's advantage to have a team in a market with a lot of viewers. Moreover, people always talk about this team as if we're a small market, can't attract free agents, and that there are better locations to put a franchise. And that is just not the case.

• Premium Member

As far as not supporting the Hawks...this is also an argument that I am tired of. They haven't supported the team because they've always been a poor man's Pistons. There's no history with this club and no marketable face other than Nique.

• Like 1

But you have to remember that Falcons had the same problem years ago when the Smith had control of that team, including many rumors of this team leaving Atlanta but Mr, Blank brought the team and now, they are working together to bring a new football stadium that will exceed 1B (with hotel tax going up again). I think if Hawks established themselves as an Elite team and the ownership marketing them correctly, they can bring them in.

• Premium Member

But you have to remember that Falcons had the same problem years ago when the Smith had control of that team, including many rumors of this team leaving Atlanta but Mr, Blank brought the team and now, they are working together to bring a new football stadium that will exceed 1B (with hotel tax going up again). I think if Hawks established themselves as an Elite team and the ownership marketing them correctly, they can bring them in.

Absolutely and there is no doubt in my mind. There is too much room for potential here.

You can't put a team on the court, firing up a bunch of jumpshots, that gets beat every year in the 2nd round of the playoffs and expect people to come out in droves. This is also not Boston or LA or NY in terms of history. If a winner steps on the court here, what's the first response from local fans?

???

You already know. Now compare that to a down season for LA or Boston, and then all of a sudden they've got a team that looks like it might be good enough for the 2nd round - they're thinking championship, they're recalling memories of Bird, Magic, etc. While we remember what?

There are people here that will support this team. LOTS of them. But the right product has to be on the floor and we have to start making history NOW. The day this club has a team like that and ends up in the finals, the city will burn down.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A dude on 790 said after contacting Vecsey that he responded that he "was only joking". Or at least trying to. Well har-de-har-har. ~lw3

I'm adding that to the thread title.

• Premium Member

As far as not supporting the Hawks...this is also an argument that I am tired of. They haven't supported the team because they've always been a poor man's Pistons. There's no history with this club and no marketable face other than Nique.

Not to mention Joe Johnson has been a horrible front man for the game in this town. Sorry Joe fans but it's the truth. Joe has the personality of a rotting corpse.

Everyone knows how attractive a living destination the A is for young Black athletes. Now we have the money and vision to throw at them, I see no reason why we can't flourish after next season. I love my hometown to death, and evidently, millions of transplants do too. Besides, after having a Summer Olympics, there's no way we have less than 1 team in every major sport. It's almost ridiculous to think we wouldn't have a basketball team. Atlanta loves exciting basketball, which is why the fans all but boycotted the JJ era. 2 of the major free agents next year came up in Atlanta AAU! Vessey just pulling legs.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Everyone knows how attractive a living destination the A is for young Black athletes. Now we have the money and vision to throw at them, I see no reason why we can't flourish after next season. I love my hometown to death, and evidently, millions of transplants do too. Besides, after having a Summer Olympics, there's no way we have less than 1 team in every major sport. It's almost ridiculous to think we wouldn't have a basketball team. Atlanta loves exciting basketball, which is why the fans all but boycotted the JJ era. 2 of the major free agents next year came up in Atlanta AAU! Vessey just pulling legs.

I'm hope older white and young Asian PGs find it attractive as well.