• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Howard just get traded? [Nope]

Brotha2ThaNite

• Moderators

@WojYahooNBA: In current structure of deal, Orlando gets Lopez, D. James, S. Williams, L. Walton and 3 or 4 1st rounders

Is he just twitting what he thinks is going to happen or did it happen?

Just twitting rumors about current discussions. This is the framework they are currently talking about according to Wojo.

Oh okay, I'm getting a lil fed up with this crap. I wish Howard just would come on out and say... "I'm playing my contract out and going to the Hawks to play with my friends." lol

Would be nice but he doesn't really have much of a choice regarding the trade. Grated, if he said that no one would want to trade for him.

It sucks that after all this, Howard is apparently able to manipulate his way to exactly where he wanted to be, with no consequences for his lousy behavior and he and his people working the system to land him where he always wanted to be. Not fair really, but what can ya do. Sorry JJ. I like you, but if this happens, I'm going to have to be rooting harder against the Nets than even the Heat.

• Moderators

It sucks that after all this, Howard is apparently able to manipulate his way to exactly where he wanted to be, with no consequences for his lousy behavior and he and his people working the system to land him where he always wanted to be. Not fair really, but what can ya do.

I hope this is addressed in the next CBA to give more pay to the franchise players and more control for the teams. I don't think it is healthy for the league. The NBA's popularity would not be what it is today if Jordan, Bird, and Magic had forced their way out of multiple cities with this type of hamfisted PR strategy.
  • Like 2

It sucks that after all this, Howard is apparently able to manipulate his way to exactly where he wanted to be, with no consequences for his lousy behavior and he and his people working the system to land him where he always wanted to be. Not fair really, but what can ya do.

What you said. A week ago people were saying that the Joe acquisition all but killed their chances of nabbing Dwight. Now not only are they going to make it happen, but rumor has it that they're ALSO absorbing J-Rich. HUH??? Beyond frustrating, especially for a team like our Hawks who seem perenially and hopelessly hamstrung, even after shedding Joe's deal.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

What you said. A week ago people were saying that the Joe acquisition all but killed their chances of nabbing Dwight. Now not only are they going to make it happen, but rumor has it that they're ALSO absorbing J-Rich. HUH??? Beyond frustrating, especially for a team like our Hawks who seem perenially and hopelessly hamstrung, even after shedding Joe's deal.

They absorb Richardson by sending Humphries to a team under the cap who can take on some of that salary. The idea is roughly that Richardson is a toxic contract so NJ has to eat that but Humphries plus a pick is attractive enough that another team takes on Humpries' salary to help facilitate the deal. This is only possible in multiple team trade (3+). The earlier posts were correct about NJ's inability to take on Richardson's contract in a NJ/Orl trade. The question everyone is rightly asking is where NJ is getting all these picks to satisfy both Orl and Cle.

I hope this is addressed in the next CBA to give more pay to the franchise players and more control for the teams. I don't think it is healthy for the league. The NBA's popularity would not be what it is today if Jordan, Bird, and Magic had forced their way out of multiple cities with this type of hamfisted PR strategy.

A franchise player should not be forced to stay with a team after 9 years if they do not want to be there. Howard has given them 9 years. I can't blame him for not wanting to remain on a team who's best players are Nelson and Turkolu. Magic management failed Dwight Howard. Their roster is patheitc. The CBA already gives a huge advantage to Orlando in that only they can offer the extra year and $25 mil to Howard............its just not enough this time around. I Edited by coachx

• Moderators

The CBA already gives a huge advantage to Orlando in that only they can offer the extra year and $25 mil to Howard............its just not enough this time around. I

Or with Lebron... Or with Deron.... Or with Carmelo... Or with Paul... Or with Bosh... Edited by AHF

It's setting a dangerous course, that's for sure, one that has already started with what MIA pulled two years ago. There is nothing that will turn off fans more quickly than a widespread sense that things aren't on the up and up, are simply unfair and that a true competitive imbalance exists. At that point fans become seriously disgusted and begin asking themselves "Well why the hell even bother?", because the system's rigged. And at the ticket prices the NBA charges, I could see fans in droves electing not to attend games any longer and suddenly finding better things to do than pour their money into a system that's clearly broken.
  • Like 1

They absorb Richardson by sending Humphries to a team under the cap who can take on some of that salary. The idea is roughly that Richardson is a toxic contract so NJ has to eat that but Humphries plus a pick is attractive enough that another team takes on Humpries' salary to help facilitate the deal. This is only possible in multiple team trade (3+). The earlier posts were correct about NJ's inability to take on Richardson's contract in a NJ/Orl trade. The question everyone is rightly asking is where NJ is getting all these picks to satisfy both Orl and Cle.

Thanks for explaining. In general, don't you agree that when certain teams want players, they always find some miraculous way to make it work within the cap confines, yet the Hawks always seem impossibly capped to make any move at all? Then again, that could be the product of management - we've already seen DF pull off the seemingly impossible - and hopefully we'll see the fruit of that flexibility soon enough. Just amazing to me the way these situations play out. Lakers adding Nash, as a recent example, with huge contracts already on the books.

What a surprise that the CBA adding in more legal jargon and clauses still has multiple problems as well as numerous unintended consequences!!! Who ever could have foreseen this?? Well the only way to correct this is more regulation, so lets pump out some more mice type and get those attorneys back to work!

Yep. It's got holes wide enough to drive a truck through.

• Moderators

What a surprise that the CBA adding in more legal jargon and clauses still has multiple problems as well as numerous unintended consequences!!! Who ever could have foreseen this?? Well the only way to correct this is more regulation, so lets pump out some more mice type and get those attorneys back to work!

The only comment I would make is that this was a foreseen consequence - not one that wasn't expected.

• Moderators

So does this mean that the premise for winning a NBA championship is having a rich owner and a desirable location?

That is one way up the mountain. OKC nearly won with a reasonable budget and undesirable location this year.

Problem with those examples......they already played in top markets. Were they going to force their way down the media market rung especially when they didn't have Youtube or new media in general to lessen the market advantages? Add in that they played mostly pre-expansion so there was a greater concentration of talent on fewer teams. Didn't need to orchestrate a super team then because you could get one through natural diffusion.....especially if you were already in a top city.

• Premium Member

The NBA is trying to make as much money as possible. Look over the years at the winning % and what markets have won the most NBA championships. The fix has been in for years. If Boston, LA, NY or Chicago wants a player you can be assured the NBA will help out those franchises. OKC never had a chance in the finals, just look at that call in game 1 where Lebron got to the line, a blind squirrel could see that wasnt a foul.Brooklyn is now the new big city NY team. Dwight wants to go there.......................end of story.In regards to the Hawks, I guess Ferry has decided unless D12 wants to come here and sign an extension, he is not going to give Horford away.I personally just dont see the Hawks getting a CP3 here, I hope Im wrong.