• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

Probably should have quoted multiple posts on you. I just ignored Dallas because he's not going there period. No assets whatsoever.

You missed the point by a mile again..... They have cap space next year.... If you are a team that is not one of his 3 preferred destinations and trade for him..... You may face him leaving and signing in Dallas outright.... Take a moment. Digest the info. It's not just facts and legalese. Its the application.

A little off topic, but one thing I've noticed in every single trade discussing the Hawks getting a player other than Dwight is: "(player) is best friends with Dwight, and will help the Hawks in their pursuit of Dwight and getting him to resign." I think this whole "playing-and-staying-with-friends" thing has gone way overboard. I'm sure having Josh and Morrow on the team don't hurt our chances, but I think it's ridiculous that people are justifying trades because "well, he's friends with Dwight and Josh."

• Like 1

Alright, I've given this much thought. Orlando is holding out for someone to take Turkoglu back. Salary wise, we are short.Tradeable assets right now are Horford, Teague, Zaza, Smith. Assuming Smith stays.In order to trade for both, you need 20.4 million in salary to go Orlando's way.Horf, Teague, Zaza's salaries add up to 19.68 million. .72 million short (close approximations). Assuming we could convince one of our free agents to sign with Orlando to make up the difference (say Willie Green for 3 years, 3 million per...1 year guaranteed.) to take back Hedo, Duhon and Dwight. Probably would take Houston's first next year and our first in 3 years.Would you do this if you can get Dwight to commit long term?Horf/Teague/Zaza/Green/2 firstsforDwight / Hedo / Duhon

Edited by thecampster

::::IGNORANT QUESTION ALERT!!!::::If we picked up Hedo in a deal for Dwight, could we then turn around and amnesty him immediately? Or do we have to wait? I don't know how the amnesty rules work.I understand that may or may not even be an issue Ferry is considering, but I was just wondering.Apologies if we've already covered this, but I don't remember seeing it.

Edited by HawkRock1123

::::IGNORANT QUESTION ALERT!!!:::: If we picked up Hedo in a deal for Dwight, could we then turn around and amnesty him immediately? Or do we have to wait? I don't know how the amnesty rules work. I understand that may or may not even be an issue Ferry is considering, but I was just wondering. Apologies if we've already covered this, but I don't remember seeing it.

No you cannot amnesty a player acquired via trade now or in the future. The only player the Hawks could amnesty would be Al and we're certainly not going to do that.

Alright, I've given this much thought. Orlando is holding out for someone to take Turkoglu back. Salary wise, we are short. Tradeable assets right now are Horford, Teague, Zaza, Smith. Assuming Smith stays. In order to trade for both, you need 20.4 million in salary to go Orlando's way. Horf, Teague, Zaza's salaries add up to 19.68 million. .72 million short (close approximations). Assuming we could convince one of our free agents to sign with Orlando to make up the difference (say Willie Green for 3 years, 3 million per...1 year guaranteed.) to take back Hedo, Duhon and Dwight. Probably would take Houston's first next year and our first in 3 years. Would you do this if you can get Dwight to commit long term? Horf/Teague/Zaza/Green/2 firsts for Dwight / Hedo / Duhon

I know you don't think that we can use the NJ Nets players in a deal for Dwight but considering that Ferry has apparently made an offer for Dwight at some point and that offer didn't include Horford then I'd say it's safe to assume that we'd be sending Nets players to Orlando in the deal. I doubt that they are forcing anyone to take Turk since they can "easily" buy him out next year and I believe they can do the same with Duhon. It's more likely IMO that they are trying to force J-Rich and Davis onto any team that acquires Dwight. Keep in mind that Orlando has already used their amnesty clause on Arenas so they can't use that on any of these "trash" players.

• Premium Member

The longer this thing draws out I believe it is in the Hawks best interest. If I was the Lakers there is just no way I would do this deal. Heck, Bynum is a damn good center.....no he's not Dwight but he fits them with Nash on board because he can run the court. Dwight cannot and does not run the court, he is your old time typical powerhouse under the basket type player. IMO Bynum is much more suited for the Lakers than D.Howard.I dont think the Lakers are after D. Howard, I think its more to the next contract for Bynum.Think about this.........................Ferry is bringing in shooter after shooter and NONE of our big men are low post players. The only player I could think of besides Dwight that would fit the profile would be Jefferson from Utah and I dont see that happening.San Antonio has always built around low post big men with shooters on the wing. I would say the Spurs have been a pretty successful outfit!

Edited by Vol4ever

I mentioned it before. Just does not make sense to keep Josh and extend him if we are not getting Dwight. It makes all the sense in the world to become the 3rd team as Cleveland is trying to become and take Bynum. Horford and Bynum is 10x's greater than Horford and Josh. Ferry is trying to play the hero role instead of making good solid moves if he does not see the value here. He looks like a hero along with Dwight if Dwight comes but he is not using sound strategy, and no; thinking you can keep Josh and Bynum or any other star quality free agent is just going to walk through the door next summer is not sound strategy.http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222468/Cavaliers_Emerge_As_Third_Team_In_Lakers_Magic_Howard_For_Bynum_Talks

Cavaliers Emerge As Third Team In Lakers, Magic Howard For Bynum Talks

Jul 18, 2012 5:18 PM EDT

Posted Image

The Cavaliers have emerged as a facilitator in a trade that would send Dwight Howard from the Magic to the Lakers.

Cleveland would acquire Andrew Bynum for a package of draft picks and Anderson Varejao.

Los Angeles would receive Howard, while Orlando would acquire Varejao and a collection of picks.

The Rockets have also been engaged in three-way trade talks.

ViaRic Bucher/ESPN

Read more:http://basketball.realgm.com/news#ixzz210qIDx8m

If Ferry decides to move on from acquiring Dwight this wouldn't be a horrible idea. But, only if Bynum signs an extension with us.Potential 2013-14 lineupPG - CP3 (FA)SG - JenkinsSF - Iguodala (FA)PF - HorfordC - BynumNot a bad backup plan.

Edited by GameTime

Neither one of them would be a fit as long as we have a coach that isn't the greatest personality manager. That's not necessarily a knock on LD, just an acknowledgement of how it is. Without the right head coach, neither one of these would work in my opinion.

Guest Walter

Neither one of them would be a fit as long as we have a coach that isn't the greatest personality manager. That's not necessarily a knock on LD, just an acknowledgement of how it is. Without the right head coach, neither one of these would work in my opinion.

Look. It's harder to get one of the top 2 centers in the league than to get a coach like LD. You don't make personnel decisions based upon whether or not he will work well with your avg. coach in the last year of his contract under a new GM. W
  • Like 1