• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Griffin possibly out of Team USA. Why not Smoove?

ATLSmith

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8160453/los-angeles-clippers-blake-griffin-injures-knee-team-usa-camp Griffin will likely have surgery on an injured knee and will not be able to play for 8 weeks. ESPN is reporting that Anthony Davis would be Griffin's replacement should he officially resign from the team. Wait, what? I'm not doubting if Davis can handle the assignment but Smoove is a more apt replacement for Griffin... I just don't get it.

Its not a all star team of players. Players tryout for the Olympic team unless you're a superstar like Lebron, Durant or Kobe. Josh wasn't interested and Davis was already supposed to play until he hurt his ankle.

Because they don't want to lose the gold medal when smoove takes a 22' jumper at the end of the gameHe can't even make all-star game and def isn't making the Olympic teamInconsistent highlight reel players are not what it takes to win the gold

Edited by Nicholasp27
  • Like 1

http://espn.go.com/l...e-team-usa-camp but Smoove is a more apt replacement for Griffin... I just don't get it.

You don't get it because on NBA2K12 Smoove is probably better than Griffin but in the NBA its the other way around by a wide margin. Edited by Buzzard

You have to be invited to play on the Olympic team. Smoove wasn't invited so even if he wanted to play on the team he can't unless he gets an invitation.

They only accept guys that have been in their pipeline as part of Team USA camps or the select team. This has been part of Colangelo's plan to have a more unified group that has played and practiced together representing the country rather than the mixmatched mess we had back in '04 where we thought that we could still just get away with talent rather than chemistry.

Josh was a part of one of their camps 3-4 years ago to be in that pipeline but was amongst the first people cut from the group because, you'll never guess this, he took too many brick jumpers.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/Josh_Smith_To_Participate_In_Team_USA_062509.html

Look at the list of guys there:

LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers/Texas); Trevor Ariza (Los Angeles Lakers/UCLA); D.J. Augustin (Charlotte Bobcats/Texas); Jerryd Bayless (Portland Trail Blazers /Arizona); Ronnie Brewer (Utah Jazz/Arkansas); Glen Davis (Boston Celtics/LSU); Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder/Texas); Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies/Connecticut); Danny Granger (Indiana Pacers/New Mexico); Jeff Green (Oklahoma City Thunder / Georgetown); Blake Griffin (University of Oklahoma); Devin Harris (New Jersey Nets/Wisconsin); Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers/Arizona); Kyle Korver (Utah Jazz/Creighton); David Lee (New York Knicks/Florida); Brook Lopez (New Jersey Nets/Stanford); Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves/UCLA); O.J. Mayo (Memphis Grizzlies/USC); Paul Millsap (Utah Jazz/Louisiana Tech); Greg Oden (Portland Trail Blazers/Ohio State); Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls/Memphis); Brandon Roy (Portland Trail Blazers/Washington); Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder/UCLA); and Thaddeus Young (Philadelphia 76ers/Georgia Tech).

That camp established most of the auxilliary players that went on to make up the World Championship team and current Olympic squad. Josh had his chance and blew it.

ask Isiah... Smoove just does not seem like a good teammate, IMO. and now that i think about it, what's up with Horford? Not as a player but this childish "watch out for bricks" act he does when opponents shoot free throws?....Exactly what I like to see out of our "leader"

Edited by PlayaPat420

ask Isiah... Smoove just does not seem like a good teammate, IMO. and now that i think about it, what's up with Horford? Not as a player but this childish "watch out for bricks" act he does when opponents shoot free throws?....Exactly what I like to see out of our "leader"

What's this now? Was that something he did in the game last night? I didn't get a chance to watch so maybe it happened then but I don't remember hearing anything like that other times.

Regarding Josh it would be great to see him get to play on the team and after last season he seems like he'd be a good replacement for Blake but personally I'd rather not have any of our guys risking injury playing on the team.

I only saw him do that off of an airball three that he didn't want touching him as it went out of bounds and another rebound that went off his head. I stopped watching once coach Cal emptied his bench in the 3rd so I don't know, maybe he put Al back in after.

• Premium Member

and this is another example of Horford allowing his child-like emotions to alter games. Atler games? Yes this is what happens when Horford reacts to every good play he makes as if he just hit the winning shot in a title game. Opposing teams she this crap then go extra hard in an attempt to return the embarrassment. Just shameful behavior from the anointed team leader. Edited by NineOhTheRino

You don't get it because on NBA2K12 Smoove is probably better than Griffin but in the NBA its the other way around by a wide margin.

That margin is not as wide as you make out, even if there is a margin at all. Griffin is a more efficient offensive player at this point because he is not in an offense that actually positions him on the perimter like Atlanta does with Josh. Griffin is also a better offensive rebounder. Those are the only things Griffin has on Josh. Josh is a better all around player, better passer, and much better defender. Josh is also slightly better as a defensive rebounder. The interesting thing about Blake is that for a guy who mostly shoots the ball at the rim, his TS% isn't that great at 55%. Back in 2009-2010 when Josh was at his most efficient offensively, he matched Blake's TS% at 55. IMO, Blake Griffin is slightly overrated, but fans think he is better than he really is because ESPN loves to highlight his dunks.

That margin is not as wide as you make out, even if there is a margin at all. Griffin is a more efficient offensive player at this point because he is not in an offense that actually positions him on the perimter like Atlanta does with Josh. Griffin is also a better offensive rebounder. Those are the only things Griffin has on Josh. Josh is a better all around player, better passer, and much better defender. Josh is also slightly better as a defensive rebounder. The interesting thing about Blake is that for a guy who mostly shoots the ball at the rim, his TS% isn't that great at 55%. Back in 2009-2010 when Josh was at his most efficient offensively, he matched Blake's TS% at 55. IMO, Blake Griffin is slightly overrated, but fans think he is better than he really is because ESPN loves to highlight his dunks.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you managed to omit your tried and true win shares in this comparison. Stat didn't fit the bias?

Ah the old excuse of how our offense positions Josh out there at the 3pt line. Considering that it doesn't position our other PFs out there I find it extremely hard to buy that excuse. The fact is that Josh grew up as a SG, came into the league as a SG/SF and still sees himself as a SG so he tends to drift out there. What's great about Blake is that he's a PF, who plays where a PF is supposed to play, and he puts up efficiency numbers of a highly skilled PF, rather than those of an average SG like Josh puts up as a PF.

Damn, I guess no one agrees with me. lol.I'm comparing Smoove and Griff because they have similar athletic ability around the basket (both offensively and defensively). I just can't think of a better replacement for Griffin. I know Smoove has his flaws but maybe Coach K would give him a earful and help to change his ways.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The simple answer is that Davis was already on the team and was an alternate. It is no surprise that they went to an alternate rather than someone who hasn't been involved in the program for years.

The simple answer is that Davis was already on the team and was an alternate. It is no surprise that they went to an alternate rather than someone who hasn't been involved in the program for years.

Uhh no, the simple answer is that it's a conspiracy and pure politics. That is all!
  • Like 1

Ah the old excuse of how our offense positions Josh out there at the 3pt line. Considering that it doesn't position our other PFs out there I find it extremely hard to buy that excuse. The fact is that Josh grew up as a SG, came into the league as a SG/SF and still sees himself as a SG so he tends to drift out there.

What's great about Blake is that he's a PF, who plays where a PF is supposed to play, and he puts up efficiency numbers of a highly skilled PF, rather than those of an average SG like Josh puts up as a PF.

I totally disagree Dolf... Our offense is a motion based offense that has a tendency of pulling our power forwards and centers out of the paint. Thats the entire point of the motion offense.. Open lanes for our guards to slash and kick out to the shooters.. And in a lot of games last year, our big men were put in bad spots away from the basket and forced to shoot from long distances.. I remember seeing Zaza taking uncomfortable long distance shots at the end of the shot clock.

Now as for Josh Smith... HE PLAYED SMALL FORWARD, SO HE NATURALLY TOOK THOSE SHOTS WITHIN THE SYSTEM...

So, the idea is that a proven NBA player is less worthy than a draftee straight out of college....????