• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh talking about Dwight

Swatguy

Smith needs to help bake said cake. Josh, get in Dwight's ear and let him know this IS the place he needs to be. At the same time, Howard's agent needs to get the shoe company on board as well. I really think this shoe thing is the big reason Dwight is making all the noise he's making.My DH12 mantra:"It's gotta be the shoes"

• Moderators

Smith needs to help bake said cake. Josh, get in Dwight's ear and let him know this IS the place he needs to be. At the same time, Howard's agent needs to get the shoe company on board as well. I really think this shoe thing is the big reason Dwight is making all the noise he's making. My DH12 mantra: "It's gotta be the shoes"

I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight and Josh haven't been talking about playing for the Hawks since AAU. It's no secret that Josh and Dwight are besties and would love to play together. Josh has been saying outta his friends ear because he knows Dwight is going through enough right now with the Magic and the media. IMHO, Dwight already knows that Atlanta is where he wants to be. Why would he announce that he wants to test free agency next season? I know there is an extra $20 mil if he waits til FA as oppose to signing a max extension, but why not just give a team like the Lakers or Rockets his blessing that he'll stay... I believe Dwight (along with Ferry) knows that Dwight, Horf, and Smoove are a much better frontcourt as opposed to just Dwight and Smoove. He won't be traded here unless there is a way that we keep Smoove and Horf. Plus, I would find it absolutely hilarious if the Lakers trade Bynum for Howard, then Bynum resigns with Cleveland or whoever and Dwight ditches off to Atlanta. Screw da Lakers and especially Mitch Kupchak.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight and Josh haven't been talking about playing for the Hawks since AAU. It's no secret that Josh and Dwight are besties and would love to play together. Josh has been saying outta his friends ear because he knows Dwight is going through enough right now with the Magic and the media. IMHO, Dwight already knows that Atlanta is where he wants to be. Why would he announce that he wants to test free agency next season? I know there is an extra $20 mil if he waits til FA as oppose to signing a max extension, but why not just give a team like the Lakers or Rockets his blessing that he'll stay... I believe Dwight (along with Ferry) knows that Dwight, Horf, and Smoove are a much better frontcourt as opposed to just Dwight and Smoove. He won't be traded here unless there is a way that we keep Smoove and Horf.

Plus, I would find it absolutely hilarious if the Lakers trade Bynum for Howard, then Bynum resigns with Cleveland or whoever and Dwight ditches off to Atlanta. Screw da Lakers and especially Mitch Kupchak.

Seriously . . . why would you believe this? When has Dwight even remotely said that he MIGHT play in Atlanta at any point in his career? On the flip side, he's flat out said that he DOESN'T want to play in Atlanta. If that dude wanted to play here, he ( or his agent ) would've said or leaked it, and the Hawks would've been breaking their necks to try to get it done. ( I guess they would've )

It is not Josh Smith's duty to "recruit" Dwight. It is the job of the GM to put together an attractive enough package to entice the Magic to trade him to us.

I mean, it is OK to "dream" . . . but don't have hallucinations.

Edited by northcyde

• Premium Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight and Josh haven't been talking about playing for the Hawks since AAU. It's no secret that Josh and Dwight are besties and would love to play together. Josh has been saying outta his friends ear because he knows Dwight is going through enough right now with the Magic and the media. IMHO, Dwight already knows that Atlanta is where he wants to be. Why would he announce that he wants to test free agency next season? I know there is an extra $20 mil if he waits til FA as oppose to signing a max extension, but why not just give a team like the Lakers or Rockets his blessing that he'll stay... I believe Dwight (along with Ferry) knows that Dwight, Horf, and Smoove are a much better frontcourt as opposed to just Dwight and Smoove. He won't be traded here unless there is a way that we keep Smoove and Horf.

Plus, I would find it absolutely hilarious if the Lakers trade Bynum for Howard, then Bynum resigns with Cleveland or whoever and Dwight ditches off to Atlanta. Screw da Lakers and especially Mitch Kupchak.

Never happen in a million years. Dwight will resign wilth the Lakers and who could blame him, great town, and great history in the NBA.

• Moderators

Seriously . . . why would you believe this? When has Dwight even remotely said that he MIGHT play in Atlanta at any point in his career? On the flip side, he's flat out said that he DOESN'T want to play in Atlanta. If that dude wanted to play here, he ( or his agent ) would've said or leaked it, and the Hawks would've been breaking their necks to try to get it done. ( I guess they would've ) It is not Josh Smith's duty to "recruit" Dwight. It is the job of the GM to put together an attractive enough package to entice the Magic to trade him to us. I mean, it is OK to "dream" . . . but don't have hallucinations.

And why would Dwight come out say that he wants to play in Atlanta? What type of buzz would that cause? The media doesn't want to hear Dwight say, 'Hey, I want to be a Hawk.'... they want him to be in Brooklyn, LA, or Dallas. The big market teams. ESPN, NBC, and CBS doesn't want to report and create hype for Dwight going to Atlanta. It's about as interesting as if he was going to sign with the Nuggets. Dwight was once quoted at a Atlanta Dream game saying that the "Philips Arena should be my house". Joe's contract made it impossible for Dwight to come here. Now that Joe's contract is taking care of, the books are clear for Dwight to come to to his hometown and play. He never said that he wouldn't play in Atlanta. All he said was that he hated losing to the Hawks because it's his hometown team. He never said he wouldn't play here and most of what athletes say comes out of their agents mouths. Agents look to get paid and be in the spotlight too. The Hawks have made attempts to trade for Dwight. Hawks were willing to trade Horford and Teague + picks for Dwight at the trade deadline last season. It is speculated that Ferry was willing to send Pachulia, Teague, filler, and picks for Dwight. At this point, NO ONE is going to give up prime assets to Orlando when a GM could just wait and nab Dwight in free agency or steal him at the deadline. Why trade Horford when Dwight + Horford + Smoove is the best frontcourt in the NBA? And, no, it's not Josh's job to recruit Dwight, but as a member of the Atlanta Hawks and as his best friend, it wouldn't kill Josh to put a bug in his ear... He isn't expected to call him twice a day, but if he hangs out with him, he could say, "Hey man, could you imagine..."
  • Like 1

• Moderators

It wasn't Dwayne Wade's job to recruit Lebron and Bosh. Do you think they end up in Miami without him doing so? I don't.They all conspired to play together and had the dynamic that Wade loved Miami, Lebron wanted out of Cleveland, Bosh wanted out of Toronto, and Wade said, "we want to get together, let's do it in Miami." I sure hope Josh, Al and everyone else on our team is trying to convince other NBA studs that they want to team up with them and letting them know why they should do it in Atlanta.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

And why would Dwight come out say that he wants to play in Atlanta? What type of buzz would that cause? The media doesn't want to hear Dwight say, 'Hey, I want to be a Hawk.'... they want him to be in Brooklyn, LA, or Dallas. The big market teams. ESPN, NBC, and CBS doesn't want to report and create hype for Dwight going to Atlanta. It's about as interesting as if he was going to sign with the Nuggets. Dwight was once quoted at a Atlanta Dream game saying that the "Philips Arena should be my house". Joe's contract made it impossible for Dwight to come here. Now that Joe's contract is taking care of, the books are clear for Dwight to come to to his hometown and play. He never said that he wouldn't play in Atlanta. All he said was that he hated losing to the Hawks because it's his hometown team. He never said he wouldn't play here and most of what athletes say comes out of their agents mouths. Agents look to get paid and be in the spotlight too. The Hawks have made attempts to trade for Dwight. Hawks were willing to trade Horford and Teague + picks for Dwight at the trade deadline last season. It is speculated that Ferry was willing to send Pachulia, Teague, filler, and picks for Dwight. At this point, NO ONE is going to give up prime assets to Orlando when a GM could just wait and nab Dwight in free agency or steal him at the deadline. Why trade Horford when Dwight + Horford + Smoove is the best frontcourt in the NBA? And, no, it's not Josh's job to recruit Dwight, but as a member of the Atlanta Hawks and as his best friend, it wouldn't kill Josh to put a bug in his ear... He isn't expected to call him twice a day, but if he hangs out with him, he could say, "Hey man, could you imagine..."

Dwight may not have said he wouldn't play here but I think it is more telling that he has not said he would like to play for his hometown team, The Hawks were not even on his preliminary list of teams he would like to be traded to. What does that tell you? Has Josh, Morrow, Lou (all his friends) ever said that D12 would like to play here, no, not that I recall. Anyway, point is moot as he is headed to LA.

• Moderators

((Shameless re-posting, this time with PROPER television character references -- thank ya Mace))

Just because you might want to work alongside your palsy wowzy someday, doesn't mean you'll lock yourself into years of paychecks from Mr. BURNS to do it.

I'm sure Smoove and Dwight chitchat about the Hawks all the time, and I bet the convo over the years centered on stuff like, "So, your bosses been in the court longer than we're on one. Do they want Joe or not?" "That hockey team, tho! Y'all broke?" "He sells WHAT kind of pizza? That's the best buyer they could find?" "Man, why'd your boy have to poke the bear up in Boston? You need a muzzle for that boss of yours?"

If you're like Smoove, you don't have to sell the wonders of the ATL to D12, because he grew up right here with you. His family is here. Loads of friends are here. Showing off blingy dirt-cheap MTV Cribs-quality real estate and megachurches galore won't do it. Ultra lounges and glitzy strip clubs at every other corner won't do it. At day's end, you have to have a franchise that's worth promoting. And Dwight has given everyone the hint that committed ownership with deep pockets, be it "Cuban" or Russian, is enough promotion to grab his attention. Short of that, there is nothing you or anyone can text to him that would influence him.

He's also seen what has happened to this organization's top players in the eyes of the fans and media because its owners haven't/can't/won't add the talent that would put them in a clear position to compete for NBA titles.

No, in reality, Orlando was never going to ship its All-NBA marquee player to a division rival (in a division that already includes the Heatles) without said rival unloading everything else remotely of worth in return. But sure, in theory he could have come here and played Buddyball with Josh for most of a season. Then, with ASG still in charge, Josh gets his big contract elsewhere, and Dwight gets left with the pom-poms and an eye-rolling fanbase: "Didn't you used to be a superstar? Man, we thought Smoove sucked at free throws! 28 with a creaky back? Sigh. We shoulda got Bynum!" Dwight saw what happened when Joe made his deal with the devil. He doesn't want the S on his chest to stand for Scapegoat.

You want superstars that you didn't draft yourself? Your team's players don't need pom-poms. They need a new Mr. BURNS.

~lw3

• Like 1