• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How bout them Falcons!

jy23

I thought they were looking ahead to the Giants, I know some fans were. Weeks ago outside of the NO games NY was to one the had to get, after what happened last season and one of the few winning teams on the schedule. A loss is ok, just pissed on them sleepwalking in the first half, I'd take 3 FG's instead of a goose-egg.

Best game by far this year....beat the brakes off the defending champs.wanna see them try and ignore us today

• Moderators

Best game by far this year....beat the brakes off the defending champs.wanna see them try and ignore us today

Check espn.com. No lie the only mention is a tiny headline on the right that says 'Giants get routed'

The friggin headline is about the niners and says:

"Withstanding a furious Foxborough rally, the 49ers might have pulled off the most impressive win by any team all season"

Really?? A 34-0 drubbing of the super bowl champs isn't impressive?

• Moderators

Lol Atlanta can do nothing right

You're right. It is totally laughable at this point that a team that has had this good a season and just embarrassed another contending team gets no media attention this late in the season.

Afterward the irrepressible Samuel was asked if this game wasn’t an indication that the Falcons are the NFL’s best team, and he said: “I’m not really worried about that. Keep the haters hating. We like playing with a chip on our shoulder.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/12/17/the-falcons-domination-adroit-asante-and-one-great-play/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

• Moderators

Here is a more detailed ESPN article from Football Outsiders:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8754380/nfl-believe-atlanta-falcons-statement-win

Why the Falcons still aren't legit

After a season full of nail-biters, the Atlanta Falcons finally got a blowout win Sunday, stomping the New York Giants 34-0. They outgained the Giants in total offense (394 to 256), first downs (22 to 10) and also forced more turnovers (three to zero). It was the first time this year the Falcons have thoroughly outplayed a quality opponent. It was not, however, a "statement" win. It was just one game in a long season, and a clear outlier at that, not a new standard of excellence.

Atlanta was outside the top 10 last week in Football Outsiders' rankings, and one game out of 14 won't change that too much. Even if you're not a believer in Football Outsiders' methods, recent history is full of so-called "statement" games that didn't say much about either team when all was said and done.

The Falcons stand at 12-2 after Sunday's win, but Football Outsiders' system estimates that they "should" have won only about eight of those games, with four extra victories coming through luck in the form of soft scheduling, random turnovers or other factors. That's rarefied air when it comes to overachievement. Since 1991, 11 other teams have finished with winning records and at least three more actual wins than estimated wins.

A quick look back at those overachievers paints an ominous picture for this year's Falcons:

Overachieving teams 1991-2011 Year Team Actual Wins Estimated Wins Difference Fate Playoff wins
1992 IND 9 5.5 3.5 Missed Playoffs 0
1993 DET 10 7.0 3.0 Lost wild-card game 0
1996 MIN 9 5.7 3.3 Lost wild-card game 0
1998 ARI 9 5.8 3.2 Lost divisional round 1
1999 IND 13 9.5 3.5 Lost divisional round 0
2001 CHI 13 9.6 3.4 Lost divisional round 0
2002 GB 12 9.0 3.0 Lost wild-card game 0
2003 CAR 11 7.7 3.3 Lost Super Bowl 3
2003 STL 12 8.2 3.8 Lost divisional round 0
2004 ATL 11 7.7 3.3 Lost conference championship 1
2006 SEA 9 5.4 3.6 Lost divisional round 1

As the table shows, only two of these 11 teams reached the conference title game and only two others won even one playoff game. The other seven either missed the playoffs outright or went one-and-done, including some teams whose first game came at home after a first-round bye. The most recent team to suffer that fate: the 2003 St. Louis Rams, who went 12-4 but lost their first playoff game at home to Carolina. That Carolina team, it's worth noting, also overachieved, and was far and away the most successful of the bunch once the playoffs started.

Why are the Falcons so low in FO's rankings? Though they've lost only two games, they've been in severe danger of losing many others. Seven of their wins have come by eight points or fewer, and many of those have come over bottom dwellers such as Oakland, Philadelphia and Arizona. They should be scolded, not celebrated, for a three-point comeback win at home over the lowly Raiders, a team that has lost to the Dolphins, Broncos, Ravens, Saints and Bengals by at least 20 points apiece.

Atlanta has been particularly weak in the running game, on both sides of the ball. The Falcons have averaged only 3.7 yards per carry on their own rushes (29th in the league), but given up 4.9 yards per carry on opponents' runs (30th).

Some people reading this (many of them, no doubt, residing in the 404 area code) will insist that the Falcons have the best record in the NFC, and that means they're the best team in the NFC, fancy computer numbers be damned. Even those readers, though, should take caution and not get overly excited by one game.

[Article goes through all those specific teams.]

Games like that make Atlanta's win Sunday seem much less relevant. It was the best game the Falcons have played this year, but that, by definition, makes it the fluke, not the standard. It was an important win for the Falcons because it brought them one step closer to clinching home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. But it would be a mistake to think they're significantly better now than they were one week ago.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

"Extra victories through soft scheduling and random turnovers" is about as dubious of a method i could think of. I realize i'm a homer but seriously random turnovers?

I'm with Asante. I don't even care anymore. We're at the point where the doubters are looking dumber and dumber every week and are starting to admit failure. Its a tough league and we didn't dominate a lot people but we got victories. We'll be playing teams in the playoffs who didn't dominate a lot of people and got losses.

Go Falcons!

The great thing about the NFL -- it doesn't matter what the pundits think. The power rankings are meaningless. It will be decided on the field.

That said, this may be the most disrespected 12-2 team of all time, and that is annoying. Talking Heads still have Green Bay, SF, and even the Seahawks ahead of the Falcons in the NFC pecking order. Rodney Harrison still likes the Giants, somehow.

The fact of the matter is the Falcons have knocked off P Manning, E Manning, D Brees and T Romo in prime time at home. The Falcons will be a very tough out this year at the Dome.

The only team I would really worry about is the Packers. Even so, the blowout playoff game a couple of years ago swung on a couple of key plays -- Ryan picked off in the end zone at 17-14, Ryan pick six at the end of the 1st half when driving and down 21-17 and then Falcons have to kick off to start 2nd half and get scored on. Game over.

I don't see that sequence playing out this time. I believe this is the year the Falcons soar to new heights and drop that monkey to its death. The Falcons will get be so hungry to get that first playoff win and the Dome will be rocking. They will get it done.

If they can lock up home field throughout and the bye, I like their chances to get to the Super Bowl.

I'm so ready to get the playoffs going I don't know what to do with myself. I'm sick of listening to everybody talk about us....we keep winning and they keep hating

I am ready to get the playoffs started as well. I am very confident in this Falcons team can make a strong run in the playoffs and win it all. They showed last week what they are capable of. The only part that make me nervous is the damn Atlanta Sports Curse. I know it sound stupid. We are always on the wrong end of some bounce or bad call. It is what keep me from having the utmost confidence anytime one of our teams make the playoffs. It is not a matter of if but when something is going to happen to go against us.

I think it will be very important for the Falcons to play the majority of next week game. They are seem to be hitting a rhythm offensively. At worst play the entire 1st half and maybe a few drives in the 2nd half.On tonight game very good job by the team. They had a rough 3rd qt but got their act together in the 4th. Homefield is clinch. Congrats to Calvin on the record. He is from GA so I don't mind congratulaing him. Granted a lot of those yards were empty/stat padding yards.