• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Am I alone in thinking SHIRLEY we aren't going into the season with THIS roster...?

sturt

• Moderators

Josh Smith, Kyle Korver, DeShawn might can play SF. Ever since i've been on the squawk i've heard that SF is the easiest position to fill yet the Hawks never seem to have one that we're happy with. If Ty Corbin wasn't coaching we might could convince him to give it one more year. I think this is our roster until Jan/Feb although sometimes there are trades right before the season starts right?

• Premium Member

I'm getting concerned now that Drew is installing yet-another offense... that would seem to suggest that, indeed, the roster isn't changing and that since it isn't, the previous offense isn't going to work for this group.

• Moderators

I'm getting concerned now that Drew is installing yet-another offense... that would seem to suggest that, indeed, the roster isn't changing and that since it isn't, the previous offense isn't going to work for this group.

I don't think you should make the assumption that those two concepts are linked at the hip. The fact that we need to change our offensive approach from one premised on iso-JJ doesn't depend on whether or not we swing a trade for a SF. If we get a small forward, it isn't going to be Kevin Durant or Lebron James. We will be getting somewhere between a solid NBA starter and a guy who should really not be starting. That guy isn't going to be the driver for what offense we run. Regardless of who we acquire, we are going to have a team that is going to run a LOT less iso than the last few years and will have improved perimeter shooting from prior years. That is going to necessitate changes in the offense even if that change is running more of the true motion offense that Drew claimed he was shooting for in the past. Remember, coaching a basketball team is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

• Premium Member

AHF, can't argue with any of that, however one would tend to think that any trade is going to involve at least one of the esteemed shooters... so it's not just a matter of what the addition is, but what subtraction will be involved... assuming it (a trade) even happens.

• Moderators

AHF, can't argue with any of that, however one would tend to think that any trade is going to involve at least one of the esteemed shooters... so it's not just a matter of what the addition is, but what subtraction will be involved... assuming it (a trade) even happens.

No argument here. I just think we have some redundancy with the shooters so we will still be left with some dead eye shooters if we deal only one of Jenkins, Morrow and Korver.

• Premium Member

Prepare yourselves for a year of transition.Tanking may not be out of the question.Here's how i See it...Smoove is traded for picks.We tank the season.We draft James McAdoo.We make a run at a C in FAcy. A guy like Jefferson could be available.Louis might play himself into a spot.Reup Zaza/Teague..New Coach.

• Moderators

I believe we are going into this season with this roster, but for how long it stays intact is the question... If we get off to a hot start, it'd be hard to think it would get split up so quickly unless DF looks at it as the player's stock is high at that time. And I don't think LD is going to be instituting a new offense. I think he'll finally get to play his offense now that ISO Oh-no and Duck Butt is gone. As long as Smoove buys into his scheme, everyone else will and we will be okay.

The way I see it we shed both of our core starting wings because they were bad contracts. We can't expect to find two core replacements immediately. I'm fine with keeping our cap flexible, signing guys to one year deals, and not rushing to commit to players who aren't going to work long term. If we have to play a whole season with undersized guys like Korver getting minutes at SF, and then we can live with Josh playing some SF for just this year. So be it. After we got rid of JJ and Marvin we pretty much signed up for reshaping the team. Perhaps we will make a trade, but I can live with small ball for a year. It's not like we are contenders.

I was hoping the team gets blown up before All Star Break but looking at the schedule unless someone gets hurt. We will be real close to 30 wins before all-star break. Doubt if they are breaking up a team that can win 45 games even though we are not going anywhere with this roster.Its cool though. I am only half way with the franchise at this point but they are still my favorite team. I have just lost my passion because they don't want to make the moves to be great.

• Moderators

I was hoping the team gets blown up before All Star Break but looking at the schedule unless someone gets hurt. We will be real close to 30 wins before all-star break. Doubt if they are breaking up a team that can win 45 games even though we are not going anywhere with this roster. Its cool though. I am only half way with the franchise at this point but they are still my favorite team. I have just lost my passion because they don't want to make the moves to be great.

What you are saying would have been true in the past but i don't think Ferry is scared to move guys even off a successful team. He didn't amass all these expirings to just let them walk next summer.

I was hoping the team gets blown up before All Star Break but looking at the schedule unless someone gets hurt. We will be real close to 30 wins before all-star break. Doubt if they are breaking up a team that can win 45 games even though we are not going anywhere with this roster.

Its cool though. I am only half way with the franchise at this point but they are still my favorite team. I have just lost my passion because they don't want to make the moves to be great.

You have to have willing trade partners to make certain moves.