• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - Wizards

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Tonight, the next ex-Hawk to grace the Highlight Factory with his coaching presence is the Washington Wizards’ Randy Wittman. The consolation of a six-game winning streak to conclude 2011-12 is a distant memory as he stares a possible 0-10 record in the face. Wittman is up a crappy creek without either John Wall or Nene Hilario paddling due to injuries. It’s especially bad when the Bobcats can offer condolences as they rocket up the Southeast Division food chain: “Sucks to be you!”

And Wittman is clearly at Wit’s End with his Washington O-fers. “I'd love to have an 8-9 man rotation. That's my dream. And I'm playing 12-13 every night. You can't do that in an NBA game… I don't know who to start. Who to play. Who not to play.” Putting Jordan Crawford back in the starting 2-guard spot ahead of Bradley Beal for the past two games illustrates those last statements quite well.

“Jordan Crawford will someday lead his team in scoring, and when that day comes, we’ll all be sorry!” Fools like yours truly exclaimed such nonsensical things back in 2011, when the Hawks shipped the remnants of Mike Bibby and Mo Evans along with Crawford and a first-round pick that became Chris Singleton to D.C., in exchange for Kirk Hinrich and a ham sandwich on rye. Well, friends, that day is here. With Wall (knee) and Nene (plantar fasciitis) out of service in the nation’s capital, somebody has to score, and at 12.2 PPG, Crawford’s more than happy to take that alpha-dawg role. Yet only the Wizards seem to be feeling sorry.

It’s not all bad for He Whose Name Can Now Probably Be Mentioned. Crawford’s passing, long-range shooting, and overall efficiency is as good as it’s been in his brief career history. But in Wall and Nene’s absence, this was a time to see one of the high-salaried veterans to step up their offensive output – Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza, I’m looking at you – not leaving the pressure of scoring leadership to 24-year-old Crawford, 19-year-old Bradley Beal, and 22-year-old Kevin Seraphin -- the only Wizards serving up 10 or more points per game. A usage percentage for Jordan Crawford above those of Rudy Gay, LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin, or even Jamal Crawford is not a recipe for success.

While they’re certainly happy to be rid of Rashard Lewis’ contract, the players acquired in that deal seem to be, like Lewis, just happy to be here. 16 points, 11 rebounds, and just under 3 steals, blocks, and assists sound mighty tasty at first, until you realize that’s what Emeka and Trevor are contributing in combination. Wizard fans have come to merge the $21 million hydra into “Okariza” as a coping mechanism, since neither seems all that willing to stand out individually. Mek is shooting just under 40% and Ariza 35% on the season. Again, just not a recipe for success. Taken together, it’s an island of misfit toys right now.

ESPN rumored that the Zards may get some help by inserting Nene back into the lineup tonight, although Wizard fans are not so sure about that. Good footwork is as essential for Nene’s game as anyone, so it wouldn’t be wise to rush him. But it’s clear he can’t return soon enough for Wittman. “I'm looking down the whole roster, and if I had a cell phone, I'd be calling the waiver wire, trying to find another body,” Wittman said after Monday’s setback to the Pacers. “I'm just searching. Searching for people to give me consistency.”

Wittman would do well to get some of his more efficient players a greater share of the floor time. Their most effective three-point shooter, Cartier Martin, gets eight minutes per night. Atlanta metro native Singleton is literally nowhere to be found. It was the same with lottery pick Jan Vesely, until his last two games starting, and he’s still not getting shots. Veteran pickup Shaun Livingston will help to slow down the erratic play they’ve endured with A.J. Price starting. Like Price, Beal is just shooting 33% from the floor, but should work to get to the line. He’s the only rookie hitting 90% of his free throws.

Opponents are taking only 18 percent of their shots against the Wizards from 3-point range, the lowest proportion in the league. Oddly, though, their opponents are taking more long-twos (16-to-23 feet) per game than those of any other team, despite shooting just 34 percent.

Conversely, Wizard foes take the second-fewest short-range shots (3-to-9 feet) despite shooting the fourth-highest FG% at the range (45 percent). This is an ideal game for Josh Smith, Al Horford and the Hawk bigs to pound away on the inside. Only the Wizards (18.3 FGA/game) are taking fewer shots at the rim than Atlanta (20.5 FGA/game). But when they go there, Atlanta is -- dare I say it -- finishing? The Hawks are third in the NBA for at-rim field goal percentage (69%) and third in short-range FG% (47%). They will want to watch out for the crafty hands of Ariza, who leads the NBA in steal percentage (4.6% of possessions).

To turn things around, D.C. needs to find somebody willing to go to the hoop as well. Washington has somehow managed to lead the league in percentage (65%) of baskets assisted at the rim, although this may have more to do with Okafor failing to post up and Seraphin launching hook shots. But the guards and wings are clearly settling for outside jumpers. A league-leading 57% of their shots are beyond 15 feet from the basket. “Martell Webster for three” is still an actual thing, for some reason.

The Hawks will want to keep their claws on the Wizards’ neck in the second half. Indiana nearly salted away a 20-point lead in D.C. on Monday before pulling away. Around the same time, the Hawks’ subs took a late 24-point lead against the hapless Magic and nearly turned it into a barnburner. More sensible rotations by Larry Drew will help seal the deal.

Happy Thanksgiving! Go Hawks!

~lw3

The holidays suck just like this game will. If we lose we are horrible if we win so what you can not really learn anything by a win against a team like the Wizards. This home stand is filled with games like this unfortunately.

The holidays suck just like this game will. If we lose we are horrible if we win so what you can not really learn anything by a win against a team like the Wizards. This home stand is filled with games like this unfortunately.

Every team gives you the same opportunity to play SMART basketball. I would be thrilled to see the Hawks play smart basketball even against the Wizards. Maybe create some good habits. Or they could what they usually do against bad teams and simply outlast their talent. In that case we'd learn nothing. Also, why am I not surprised you hate the holidays?
  • Like 1

Formerly, our Hawks have played "up or down" to our opponent.Our last win was a struggle until the second half. We do thatagain tonight and we may be back to .500 and Wash. will havevictory #1, thanks to a sleepwalking Atlanta team.GO HAWKS!!

What was Okafor's projection for the NBA when he came out? Does his size hold him back or his workmanship? I havent followed him but its gotta be one or the other. I thought everyone was of the opinion he was sure money in the league, at least by now. He's arguably the biggest bust out of UConn as far as I can remember. Well he and Villanueva.