• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks #28 on Forbes value = must get starpower ASAP

wolvetigers

http://www.forbes.com/teams/atlanta-hawks/

I know some Hawks Fans keep forgetting that professional sports is a business, and the Hawks challenge is to put a good team on the floor, but at the same time provide the star power to increase revenue. We all see what happened to the Kings (NBA), Thrashers (NHL) etc.,

Danny Ferry's challenge is to maintain a competitive team on the floor while building a sustainable product that can make money. This is why - whenever a Hawks fan says let's build through the draft etc., even in a draft with fewer developed stars doesnt help the Hawks...Now don't get me wrong drafting say a Trey Burke (Guard) and a Big Man (Plumlee or kenny Kadji) will certainly give us more size and backcourt help - but we can't solely depend on the draft for a superstar b/c this draft certainly doesnt have that....

So what to do - well that's why Ferry gets the big bucks but his dilemma is deciding on keeping an Atlanta Hawks rising, leaderless, record keeper in Smith...And hoping to put him with Howard. .This is why Dwight Howard or bust is Ferry's plan...

He saw first hand the effects of Lebron James leaving Cleveland - the franchise lost 26% value....so his second chance around he will try to build a team centered around Howard and maybe Smith or Horford...Interesting time to be a Hawks Owner - If Ferry's doesnt succeed the Atlanta Hawks could very well be elsewhere in the next few years...

Edited by wolvetigers

ESPN's coverage is directly attributable to franchises' worth, hence talking about the Cowboys all season when they're irrelevant, discussing A-Rod ad nauseum when he should be designated for assignment, or following the Lakers' every missed rotation. We aren't gonna make up 20-something spots overnight so I wouldn't worry about it. If the ASG were shrewd businessmen, they'd worry about it more. I for one am not in the "Inwant a superstar at all costs" crowd, though. The Pistons won without a single one, the Lakers are terrible with supposedly 3.

• Like 1

ASG has been horrible at marketing, managing and keeping the fans interest. They rode buzz our "core" way past its expiration date. There was no excuse to not make major changes after that 2010 magic series. We were embarrassed beyond belief on national tv and the biggest change you make is promoting our f***ing assistant coach????

After that series stuff started going down.

Offseason we signed joe johnson to that ridiculous contract, made no roster changes but signed some vet minimum guys, we promoted our assistant head coach and thats it. 2010-2011 season was awful we were getting blown out at home very frequently, our attendance went down, If I can find the article I will show you. It was an AJC article that showed in the 2010-2011 season our tv ratings were down big time. I think by like 40%. that is exaggerating. ASG made a panic move and traded for kirk hinrich but that didnt do much. just everything was bad. Expect winning a game in the 2nd round but they damn sure didnt help our marketability much.

here is some proof list from jan 2011 - http://www.forbes.com/2011/01/26/knicks-lakers-bulls-business-sports-basketball-valuations-11-teams_slide_24.html - See on this list how we were 23rd these statistics were mainly from the 09-10 season

Next year our value dropped to 28th list from jan 2012 - http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45gmie/28-atlanta-hawks/

• Like 1

ESPN's coverage is directly attributable to franchises' worth, hence talking about the Cowboys all season when they're irrelevant, discussing A-Rod ad nauseum when he should be designated for assignment, or following the Lakers' every missed rotation. We aren't gonna make up 20-something spots overnight so I wouldn't worry about it. If the ASG were shrewd businessmen, they'd worry about it more. I for one am not in the "Inwant a superstar at all costs" crowd, though. The Pistons won without a single one, the Lakers are terrible with supposedly 3.

Well you have to understand that the Atlanta Media market is bigger than Detroit - Atlanta Media market is #11 in radio and #9 in TV so when a team is ranked 28th in worth an owner(s) would view that as under performing...and nowadays socialmedia, internet, TV all can bring revenue to a franchise....Look no further than the Atlanta Falcons - they are building a new arena in part to bring the Superbowl to the city in the next 5years..big money business...So Ferry may have the concept build it and they will come - which basically means he will try his hardest to bring immature dwight with immature Smith and hold a big name coach can bring it all together...Phil Jackson handled the egos in LA - so if Ferry succeeds and brings in Howard - I would expect his next move is to bring in a big name coach or atleast a proven coach...paging David Blatt

remember this..

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/9/12/3323750/atlanta-hawks-david-blatt-assistant-coach

ASG has been horrible at marketing, managing and keeping the fans interest. They rode buzz our "core" way past its expiration date. There was no excuse to not make major changes after that 2010 magic series. We were embarrassed beyond belief on national tv and the biggest change you make is promoting our f***ing assistant coach????

After that series stuff started going down.

Offseason we signed joe johnson to that ridiculous contract, made no roster changes but signed some vet minimum guys, we promoted our assistant head coach and thats it. 2010-2011 season was awful we were getting blown out at home very frequently, our attendance went down, If I can find the article I will show you. It was an AJC article that showed in the 2010-2011 season our tv ratings were down big time. I think by like 40%. that is exaggerating. ASG made a panic move and traded for kirk hinrich but that didnt do much. just everything was bad. Expect winning a game in the 2nd round but they damn sure didnt help our marketability much.

here is some proof list from jan 2011 - http://www.forbes.com/2011/01/26/knicks-lakers-bulls-business-sports-basketball-valuations-11-teams_slide_24.html - See on this list how we were 23rd these statistics were mainly from the 09-10 season

Next year our value dropped to 28th list from jan 2012 - http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45gmie/28-atlanta-hawks/

Thats just tuuuuurible

Edited by Bonkers

Well you have to understand that the Atlanta Media market is bigger than Detroit - Atlanta Media market is #11 in radio and #9 in TV so when a team is ranked 28th in worth an owner(s) would view that as under performing...and nowadays socialmedia, internet, TV all can bring revenue to a franchise....Look no further than the Atlanta Falcons - they are building a new arena in part to bring the Superbowl to the city in the next 5years..big money business...So Ferry may have the concept build it and they will come - which basically means he will try his hardest to bring immature dwight with immature Smith and hold a big name coach can bring it all together...Phil Jackson handled the egos in LA - so if Ferry succeeds and brings in Howard - I would expect his next move is to bring in a big name coach or atleast a proven coach...paging David Blatt

remember this..

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/9/12/3323750/atlanta-hawks-david-blatt-assistant-coach

I hope to god that "big name coach" isnt mike brown like rumors say.

This is what im talking about...there are those who say howard/smith is a terrible combination and i agree by far! Horford is a way better combination than smith but you know having smith may drive howard back home.

I look at it this way....I rather have that dumbass tandem of howard/smith than to see this franchise sold away like the kings. Im telling you guys that is where this franchise is headed if we dont get a superstar. Its messed up but thats the NBA! You do what you have to do. the only thing that has saved us thus far is making the playoffs through these years.

.....huh I know ferry is feeling the pressure BIG time.

I cant stress enough how bad ASG has done with the marketing and selling the image to the fans that they are about winning. People mostly spend money to watch the other team play which is why when the elite teams come to town its always sold out.

Around the city it just isnt cool to be a hawks fan. I know tons of people who are from atlanta and are braves and falcon fans but when it comes to basketball they are usually a bandwagon celtics fan or lakers fan. I have gotten plenty of strange looks when I tell people I am a hawks fan. I dunno how many times I have been told that I should become a lakers or heat fan etc.....

Edited by yungsta

• Moderators

This is what im talking about...there are those who say howard/smith is a terrible combination and i agree by far! Horford is a way better combination than smith but you know having smith may drive howard back home.

I look at it this way....I rather have that dumbass tandem of howard/smith than to see this franchise sold away like the kings. Im telling you guys that is where this franchise is headed if we dont get a superstar. Its messed up but thats the NBA! You do what you have to do. the only thing that has saved us thus far is making the playoffs through these years.

.....huh I know ferry is feeling the pressure BIG time.

A Smith/Horford/Howard frrontline would be pretty sweet though. Expensive but sweet. Teague/Lou/Jenkins/Korver plus those three is pretty formidable. It might not be pretty (especially at the FT line) but it should be exciting.

Now that would be the best frontline in the NBA, however we definitely would need to get a great coach to bring it all together...I would love to see Phil Jackson in ATL, but that wont happen...

Atlanta isn't the zen master's mojo for sure.