• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Top 5 quarterbacks... RIGHT NOW.

Diesel

Flacco took his game to another level this season especially in the playoffs. Matt Ryan hasn't done that yet. I am not saying that he isn't a good player but look at his weapons. He has so many comebacks because of his bad decsion making that ges us in trouble. I put him in that 3rd tier of quarterbacks. Until we go to a superbowl, Chris Chandler is the best quarterback in Falcon's history.

I would think that technically, Brett Favre is the best QB in Falcons history, unless you're going by what they did in a Falcons uniform. It's hard to argue against Chandler as he took a good team, although not as talented as this current Falcons team, all the way to the SB and that's something that Ryan still hasn't done. Ryan is obviously the more gifted QB but so far he's only got 1 playoff win to show for it and like it or not that's going to be something that haunts him if he doesn't change it.

I agree...still a good debate tho lol

I've enjoyed it :)

Matt Ryan has more 4th quarter comeback victories then any other QB in the NFL since he entered the league. As previously stated Ryan has the 2nd best winning pct in the NFL since he entered this league. Matt Ryan finished 1st in completion pct, 5th in passer rating, 5th in passing TDs, and 5th in passing yards last season.

This attitude of "What has he done" needs an attitude adjustment........or perhaps you just have not payed attention to the Falcons. That is unerstandable for a Miami fan who probably focuses on the AFC more then the NFL.

Sure Matt Ryan had offensive weapons last year. He also had a mediocre offensive line without any OL playing any where near a Pro Bowl level. Matt makes them look good b/c he can read defenses and get rid of the ball so quickly. It didn't matter who our RB was last year b/c our OL could get no push off the line of scrimmage which made ATL consistently throw short passes on 3rd &1. Depite the fact of having to throw so many short passes on 3rd and short..........Ryan finished 7th in YPA.

He also came 12 yards from a Super Bowl at 27 years of age. I would take Ryan ahead of both Eli and Big Ben at this stage in their careers. Both Big Ben and Eli had better defense on their side then any defense the Falcons have had. Same with Flacco and the Ravens Defenses he has had the last 5 years.

4th quarter comebacks are nice but you've got to look at why they've had to make so many comebacks? I don't watch many Falcons games but I did watch the playoff games and I noticed a trend that he seemed to have 1 really good half and 1 ok / poor half. I don't know if that was the case throughout the season or in seasons past but I don't really consider 4th QB comebacks as a super impressive feat unless the QB has an absolutely shitty defense that can't stop anyone and that certainly hasn't been the case for the Falcons.

As to his great numbers I'd certainly hope so with 2 of the top 10 WRs in football, the greatest TE of all time, a very good running game and playing indoors. Most QBs don't have the luxury of just heaving the ball down the field and knowing that his WR's are going to come down with it, something I've seen Roddy and Julio do in highlights more than I think I've seen any other team.

As to the attitude and all that, I'm sorry but to me I don't really care what a QB does in the regular season. Sure at the end of the day he'll have great numbers but if he's not elevating his team in the playoffs then what difference does it make? It's the big reason why Marino isn't considered the greatest of all time. He got his team to the Super Bowl at age 23 and in only his 2nd year but got beaten down by Montana and he only had 8 career playoff wins, which is hardly anything to write home about. Marino also had crap tons of records and 4th quarter comebacks and what not but he'll never be considered the best QB simply because when it mattered most he was rarely able to elevate his team.

That is not the only thing that defines a qb. Winning a super bowl will just add to what he already is as a qb.

That is not the only thing that defines a qb. Winning a super bowl will just add to what he already is as a qb.

It's what separates the good from the great and the great from the greatest. Otherwise you can only argue about stats and those can always be manipulated.

Only one team wins the super bowl every year, Brady or manning haven't win in years and yet people put them at the top of their qb list for RIGHT NOW....not career achievement but RIGHT NOW. And that's simply bc every year they put their teams in position to be able to win. ONE team a year...manning even before his super bowl win was talked about as one of the best of all time and Marino as well while he was playing.....but their legacies after their done playing is what takes the hit bc of not winning super bowls. Right now Matt Ryan is one of the most skilled qbs in the league. He has flaws just like every qb but again to say he isn't in the conversation with the other guys I think is crazy. Call me a homer but I think the dude is special and like I said earlier that super bowl isn't far off now with the moves we've made this offseason.

I don't think Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers would be seen as the unquestionable best in the league without all of their playoff wins and Super Bowl titles. It's not just about the SB win either it's about all of their playoff wins too. You got Brady with 17, Big Ben with 10, Peyton with 9, Eli with 8, Rodgers with 6, Brees with 5. Then Ryan way down there with 1. Those guys all have trophys lots of playoff wins and the regular season wins and stats like Ryan has. Ryan could easily turn it around and end his career with 10+ wins and a trophy or two though so we will have to revisit this topic again 5-10 years from now.

Rodgers with 6? If I'm not mistaken I thought the guy had one year of winning playoff games and was one and done every other year.....what other year did he win a game besides the super bowl year?

The Falcons defense has a lot to do with the fact Matt Ryan has the most 4th quarter comebacks since he entered the league. Clutch play like that is a good thing, not bad. Atlanta has never had a top 10 defense since the Dimitroff / Smitty / Ryan era. I think the highest they have ever place is 12th and most seasons the defense has ranked in the 20's. The 49ers defense deserves alot of credit for their NFC Championship Game win. They were the best defense in the NFL last year. The Falcons came 12 yards from a Super Bowl.

Lets compare how Rodgers and Ryan played vs. that vaunted 49ers defense in the 2013 NFL playoffs:

Matt Ryan:

396 passing yards / 3 TD / 1 Int / 1 sack / 87.2 QBR / 9.4 YPA / 114.8 RAT

Aaron Rodgers:

257 passing yards / 2 TD / 1 Int / 1 sack / 68.6 QBR / 6.7 YPA / 91.5 RAT

Packers has 104 rushing yards and Atlanta had 81 rushing yards. ATL's offensive line was man handled in the run game.

Football is a team game. More so then baseball or basketball in that you have so many different teamates involved in the final out come. Each an every play involves 22 men being heavily active particapents.

4th quarter comebacks are nice but you've got to look at why they've had to make so many comebacks? I don't watch many Falcons games but I did watch the playoff games and I noticed a trend that he seemed to have 1 really good half and 1 ok / poor half.

Edited by coachx

Rodgers with 6? If I'm not mistaken I thought the guy had one year of winning playoff games and was one and done every other year.....what other year did he win a game besides the super bowl year?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00/gamelog/post/

He had 1 in 2007, 4 in 2010, and then 1 more in 2012. He's also got 3 playoff losses.

The Falcons defense has a lot to do with the fact Matt Ryan has the most 4th quarter comebacks since he entered the league. Clutch play like that is a good thing, not bad. Atlanta has never had a top 10 defense since the Dimitroff / Smitty / Ryan era. The 49ers defense deserves alot of credit for their NFC Championship Game win. They were the best defense in the NFL last year. The Falcons came 12 yards from a Super Bowl.

Lets compare how Rodgers and Ryan played vs. that vaunted 49ers defense in the 2013 NFL playoffs:

Matt Ryan:

396 passing yards / 3 TD / 1 Int / 1 sack / 87.2 QBR / 9.4 YPA

Aaron Rodgers:

257 passing yards / 2 TD / 1 Int / 1 sack / 68.6 QBR / 6.7 YPA

Packers has 104 rushing yards and Atlanta had 81 rushing yards. ATL's offensive line was man handled in the run game.

I'm not saying having the ability to come back in the 4th is a bad thing, but it's not really something you hope for as a coach.

How are you quantifying top 10 defense? I would have to go back and look at my earlier post but they've been top 10 in total yards multiple times and top 10 in points allowed at least once as well.

Rodgers did that at San Fran, which is a BIG difference from playing at home in Atlanta.

Edit - here is my post from earlier where it shows the Falcons defensive rankings in the 2 most widely used categories of defining which defense is best.

The problem with your theory is that it's not only completely wrong but also in all but Ryan's rookie year the Falcons have had a better and often much better defense than the Ravens, Steelers and Giants in their SB years. So it must be saying something that Eli, Big Ben and Flacco took teams with inferior defenses than the Falcons and got them to the SB and won 4 out of 5 times. As to the Falcons and an elite defense, they finished in the top 10 in scoring defense in 4 of these 5 years so they've been more than good enough to give the team a chance to win it all.

The 2012-2013 Ravens (SB win) were a middle of the pack defense this year, 17th total defense and 12th in scoring. Flacco absolutely carried that team throughout the playoffs and won the Super Bowl. They had a few lucky plays but that happens to just about every Super Bowl winner sometime in the playoffs. The Falcons had the 8th total defense and 7th in scoring defense.

In 2011-2012 the Giants (SB win) had one of the worst defenses, 27th total defense and 25th in scoring defense. The Falcons had the 10th total defense and 7th in scoring defense.

In 2010-2011 the Steelers (SB loss) were 14th total defense and 12th in scoring defense. The Falcons had the 16th total defense and 5th in scoring defense.

In 2008-2009 the Steelers (SB win) were 22nd total defense and 20th in scoring defense. The Falcons had the 6th total defense and 10th in scoring defense.

In 2007-2008 the Giants (SB win) were 16th total defense and 14th in scoring defense. The Falcons had the 23rd total defense and 29th in scoring defense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00/gamelog/post/

He had 1 in 2007, 4 in 2010, and then 1 more in 2012. He's also got 3 playoff losses.

That Giants game was nightmare. We fell down big early in the game and had no choice but to thow the ball. Pass rushing was the strength of that Giants team with Tuck, Pierre Paul, and Osi all in their primes. They pinned their ears back and let us have it. That game was a pure beat down. The better team won that game.

Don't see how you crucify a rookie QB for throwing just 1 INT in a playoff game vs. the eventual NFL Champs. As rookie QB its a huge accomplishment to make it that far. The better team won that game.

That Giants game was nightmare. We fell down big early in the game and had no choice but to thow the ball. Pass rushing was the strength of that Giants team with Tuck, Pierre Paul, and Osi all in their primes. They pinned their ears back and let us have it. That game was a pure beat down. The better team won that game.

Don't see how you crucify a rookie QB for throwing just 1 INT in a playoff game vs. the eventual NFL Champs. As rookie QB its a huge accomplishment to make it that far. The better team won that game.

Are you talking about 2 different games? Cause as a rookie he lost to the Cardinals but he didn't play the Giants until last year. I certainly wouldn't criticize a rookie QB for not winning his 1st playoff game and I'm not doing that here. But he definitely deserves a lot of criticism for that Giants game as he was hot garbage that day. Yes the Giants D was playing very well but they weren't playing THAT good to have been able to shut out a good Falcons offense in their house. Don't forget he also had that really awful game against Green Bay in the 2010 playoffs. I'm sure he will improve on his big game record but right now he's 1-4 and that's just not very impressive, especially with the only win being a last second comeback to win by 2 points. Granted that was some excellent play by him (and some lazy Seattle prevent defense) but it's not a win that should be bragged about since he pretty much didn't do anything in the 2nd half until that last drive.

Are you talking about 2 different games? Cause as a rookie he lost to the Cardinals but he didn't play the Giants until last year. I certainly wouldn't criticize a rookie QB for not winning his 1st playoff game and I'm not doing that here. But he definitely deserves a lot of criticism for that Giants game as he was hot garbage that day. Yes the Giants D was playing very well but they weren't playing THAT good to have been able to shut out a good Falcons offense in their house. Don't forget he also had that really awful game against Green Bay in the 2010 playoffs. I'm sure he will improve on his big game record but right now he's 1-4 and that's just not very impressive, especially with the only win being a last second comeback to win by 2 points. Granted that was some excellent play by him (and some lazy Seattle prevent defense) but it's not a win that should be bragged about since he pretty much didn't do anything in the 2nd half until that last drive.

Yes I was refering to 2 different games.

In the quote I was responding to you mentioned his interceptions the Cardinals and Giants. I agree the Giants game was train wreck. When Pierre-Paul, Tuck, and Osi can pin their ears back and rush the QB in your in for a long day.

Yes I was refering to 2 different games.

In the quote I was responding to you mentioned his interceptions the Cardinals and Giants. I agree the Giants game was train wreck. When Pierre-Paul, Tuck, and Osi can pin their ears back and rush the QB in your in for a long day.

Okay I thought so but was confused so that's why I asked. You gotta blame the coaching staff for not adjusting to the Giants blitzing like that and run draws at them and short timing throws to get them to slow down that pass rush. It just seemed like in that game the Falcons kept trying the same thing over and over with no success.

• Moderators

I would think that technically, Brett Favre is the best QB in Falcons history, unless you're going by what they did in a Falcons uniform.

I don't think there is any other way to look at it besides what they did in a team's uniform. Johny Unitas for greatest QB in Chargers history? Unitas is undoubtedly better over his career than any other Chargers QB but he completed 44% of his passes for the Chargers and threw a total of 3 TDs and 7 INTs for them.

You have to look at what they did for a team more than just looking at their place on the list of great quarterbacks and seeing if they spent 5 minutes on a team's roster.

I don't think there is any other way to look at it besides what they did in a team's uniform. Johny Unitas for greatest QB in Chargers history? Unitas is undoubtedly better over his career than any other Chargers QB but he completed 44% of his passes for the Chargers and threw a total of 3 TDs and 7 INTs for them.

You have to look at what they did for a team more than just looking at their place on the list of great quarterbacks and seeing if they spent 5 minutes on a team's roster.

Sorry I should have included a smiley face or something as I was completely joking there. Of course I'd only consider what a player did in that uniform for a team.

• Moderators

Sorry I should have included a smiley face or something as I was completely joking there. Of course I'd only consider what a player did in that uniform for a team.

Some people say that about Favre without joking around!