Ranking the QBs part II - The young guys.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think because guys are young, you have to serious consider their skillsets aside from the grizzled vets. Young = 2 yrs are less.

So here's my take.

1. Cam Newton

2. Andrew Luck

3. RGIII

4. Russell Wilson

5. Colin K.

6. Andy Dalton

7. Nick Foles

8. Ryan Tannahill

9. Christian Ponder

10. Brandon Weedon

11. Jake Locker

When I look at skillset, ability, and what they have to work with, I would say Cam is the best of the young guys. Unfortunately, he plays for one of the worst organizations in football. Luck is outstanding. Had he gone to Denver, they would have been better than they are now.

• Moderators

Jake Locker is a lot better than Foles, Weeden, and Ponder. No way Cam is number one after the season he just had. I'd put Cousins and Gabbert over Foles. I believe Cousins will be a starter in this league someday. My list:

1. Luck

2. Wilson

3. RG III

4. Kaepernick

5. Newton

6. Dalton

7. Tannahill

8. Locker

9. Ponder

10. Cousins

11. Weedon

Jake Locker is a lot better than Foles, Weeden, and Ponder. No way Cam is number one after the season he just had. I'd put Cousins and Gabbert over Foles. I believe Cousins will be a starter in this league someday. My list:

1. Luck

2. Wilson

3. RG III

4. Kaepernick

5. Newton

6. Dalton

7. Tannahill

8. Locker

9. Ponder

10. Cousins

11. Weedon

That's a pretty good list and yes Ryan TannEhill is definitely better at this point than Foles, as are the other young guys. I also agree about Cousins and think he's going to be pretty good. I might have put ponder ahead of Locker but I'd be fine with it either way.

• Moderators

I've seen Locker play in person and the dude can ball. One of the most mobile white boys I've seen. More so than Luck and about even with Wilson. He throws a lot of passes in the dirt, but I expect that to correct with experience and getting some targets outside of Britt. I think Cousins has that "it" factor and I believe Kaepernick moves ahead of RG III once he learns the playbook better and starts utilizing the no huddle. I'm worried about RG III because I think he is going to be injured most of his career and Redskins' fans will be left with thoughts of what could have been. Being a rookie and already having missed as much as he has missed and the ACL tear he has is no joke, but then again, Matthew Stafford was labeled as a china doll, but just completed two complete seasons no injury, so we shall see... I hope Greg Jennings signs with the 'Phins because I think that'll help Tannehill move up the list. When I look at Weedon and Ponder, I just see two guys with short careers ahead of them. Ponder due to injury and Weedon due age and not being much better than Colt McCoy. Get Dalton a legit running game and O-line and the Bengals will become a constant appearance in the playoffs. All of this young talent and the shift towards mobile quarterbacks has me worried about Matty Ice being able to win Atlanta a SB.

I've seen Locker play in person and the dude can ball. One of the most mobile white boys I've seen. More so than Luck and about even with Wilson. He throws a lot of passes in the dirt, but I expect that to correct with experience and getting some targets outside of Britt. I think Cousins has that "it" factor and I believe Kaepernick moves ahead of RG III once he learns the playbook better and starts utilizing the no huddle. I'm worried about RG III because I think he is going to be injured most of his career and Redskins' fans will be left with thoughts of what could have been. Being a rookie and already having missed as much as he has missed and the ACL tear he has is no joke, but then again, Matthew Stafford was labeled as a china doll, but just completed two complete seasons no injury, so we shall see... I hope Greg Jennings signs with the 'Phins because I think that'll help Tannehill move up the list. When I look at Weedon and Ponder, I just see two guys with short careers ahead of them. Ponder due to injury and Weedon due age and not being much better than Colt McCoy. Get Dalton a legit running game and O-line and the Bengals will become a constant appearance in the playoffs. All of this young talent and the shift towards mobile quarterbacks has me worried about Matty Ice being able to win Atlanta a SB.

I've seen a little of Locker and yes he's very mobile but I don't know if I'd put him ahead of Luck as far as mobility goes, although it's pretty close. He doesn't throw on the run very well and that's where Luck really kills him and every other young QB. I hope that RG3 won't have an injury plagued career but I could easily see it. Tannehill did pretty well last year for a Miami team without a legit RB and without a #1 and really #2 WR or a TE who could stretch the field. I expect all of those will be addressed this offseason and he'll be much better next year. I like Dalton but I think he's a little overrated as he's got an absolute stud in AJ Green he can just throw the ball up to and often does. Rumor from Cleveland is that they're already looking to replace Weedon so that should tell you something. I think that Ryan can win a SB but not until the Atlanta curse is broken...

• Premium Member

Maybe but Cam is a very streaky passer, unlike RG3 who is crazy accurate. RG3 is also the far more intelligent QB. Wilson may be a product of the system but their oline wasn't that amazing.

As I rank O-Lines.

I have to say:

Seattle = 1.

Houston = 2.

NYG = 3

SF = 4

Broncos = 5

Bucks = 6

Saints = 7

Pats = 8

Falcons = 9

Redskins = 10

Point is, that's a top ten OL. Where would I rank Carolina? Probably 30. The redskins rushed for 5.2 ypc and the QB was sacked only 30 times.

Carolina rushed for 4.5 ypc (that's even with Cam rushing) and Cam was sacked 36 times.

The Redskins definitely provides better pass protection and they know how they want to play RGIII. Cam gets none of that.

• Moderators

Newton's immaturity would drop him down around 4-5 in the rankings for me.

Luck

RGIII (assuming full recovery)

Kaepernick

Newton

Wilson

I can rearrange 3-5 at any time with some internal debate but Newton is the guy who makes me the least comfortable as far as whether he will ever really dial in and get his head on straight. His physical talent is amazing and he is a better passer already than I ever expected (given his limited passing in college).

• 2 weeks later...

Luck and Kaep are better than everyone else. Griffin can do some amazing things, but he can't make a professional throw in my opinion.

RGIII can't make a professional throw? 3,200 yards passing, 20 TDs, only 5 INTs, and the HIGHEST completion percentage in NFL history for a rookie at over 65% and you don't think he can make a professional throw? Here is a terrific article from some Redskins site that breaks down just how good his rookie season was. If this guy is able to stay healthy he's going to be a lock for the Hall of Fame as he's special on the field, is incredibly intelligent, and a terrific leader as well.

I think that Luck is going to be right there with him and I'd probably take Luck over RGIII simply because Luck is more physical and stands in the pocket longer and should have a longer career but both will be among the best ever when they hang them up. Time will tell on Kaepernick and he looks really good right now, but he played on a team that was already pretty damn good with a very average Alex Smith at QB.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/2/5/3955720/robert-griffin-iii-inside-the-numbers-just-how-good-was-he-in-2012

One thing I found interesting was drop rate. Redskins receivers have dropped 8.9 percent of Griffin III’s passes thrown in their direction. Not only was that the highest percentage recorded this year, but the second-highest that PFF has recorded in its five-year existence (David Garrard, 9.0 percent, 2008). So for Griffin to still manage a completion percentage of over 65 percent when close to one out of every ten of his throws are dropped is pretty remarkable.

Let’s keep going with this. Say those dropped passes were caught. Let’s also take spikes and throwaways out of the equation, too. PFF keeps track of that as well and then calculates a new “accuracy percentage.” When you adjust the completion percentage to factor this in, Griffin III’s mark shifts to a whopping 79.6 percent. That number is tops in the league next to Aaron Rodgers’ 80.2 percent, and just above Peyton Manning’s 78.6 percent.

One of his biggest criticisms is that his efficiency numbers are inflated due to not taking shots downfield. And you know what? There is truth in that statement; RGIII doesn’t take many shots downfield. His 36 attempts of 20 yards or deeper is among the fewest in the league, and only 9.2 percent of his attempts fit that category. Only Christian Ponder has a lower percentage of those deep attempts.

But, when Griffin III does challenge defenders downfield, he’s been extremely effective. On balls thrown deep, he has an adjusted accuracy percentage of 50 percent, which is fifth in the NFL, and seven of his 36 deep attempts resulted in touchdowns. In other words, when RGIII threw it deep, 20 percent of the time it resulted in a touchdown. That’s not really a sustainable mark over time, but it’s astonishing that he pulled that off over the course of a full season nonetheless.

Under pressure, Griffin III again topped the league in adjusted accuracy, and was third in completion percentage.

Luck and Kaep are better than everyone else. Griffin can do some amazing things, but he can't make a professional throw in my opinion.

Wow....REALLY????

Wow....REALLY????

He hits wide open receivers and the majority of this completions are high percentage throws. Let me know when he makes a throw in a small window between defenders. He is a gimmick quarterback through and through.

I will Kaepernick over Griffin any day of the week. My 49ers bias aside...Luck and Kaep are the two best young quarterbacks in the game.

So basically you're trying to tell me that the redskins had one of the best receiving cores in the league...bc for him to throw to open receivers most of the time these guys must be amazing at getting open. I had no idea Santana moss n Pierre garçon were so good.

So basically you're trying to tell me that the redskins had one of the best receiving cores in the league...bc for him to throw to open receivers most of the time these guys must be amazing at getting open. I had no idea Santana moss n Pierre garçon were so good.

Duh, they're vastly superior to Crabtree, Davis, Moss, Ginn, etc. plus the Redskins have an amazing head coach, offensive line, running back corp, and they are Gods team.

Griffin may have the worst set of WRs in the league.

Nah Miami's are far worse! Our starting WR's combined for 2 TD's last year, then we had 7 TD's to the TE's, 3 to the RB's and 1 to a backup WR. All told Miami had 13 passing TD's.

Washington had Moss with 8, Garcon with 4, Hankerson with 3 and Morgan with 2. All told they had 24 passing TD's.