• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons Mock Draft Thread

coachx

Um not that high on Jenkins, maybe I just need to see more of him. I never really remember him jumping out at me when watching uga play. I still want to give peters a shot to be that guy next to babs, I don't want to go with a guy that early that's just going to be a rotational player. I want a starter. Cb or lb with that first pick, end or dt with later picks.

Um not that high on Jenkins, maybe I just need to see more of him. I never really remember him jumping out at me when watching uga play. I still want to give peters a shot to be that guy next to babs, I don't want to go with a guy that early that's just going to be a rotational player. I want a starter. Cb or lb with that first pick, end or dt with later picks.

The whole idea of Jenkins is that you move to 3 -4 and not a 4-3. If we stick to a 4 man D-Line then you go in another direction. You need entire different body types for a 3-4 NT then your 4-3 DTs.

Peters is a proto-type DE in a 3-4. Unfortunately he missed the 1st few games to injury. We gave a lot of 3-4 looks last year but without a true NT for a 3-4. The 49ers gashed us up the middle over and over again where their QB opted to give the ball to Gore on the read option. The Falcons play 5 read option teams next year including the 49ers once and Panthers twice.....so a run stuffing NT is a must b/c your LBs have to be concerned with the athletic QBs keeping the ball and running to the outside leaving your D-lineman to win their assignments and shut down the RB up the middle.

Edited by coachx

Yep you really have to have that monster in the middle who will engage 2 lineman on every play to try and keep the line backers clean as that's critical in a 3-4. That's the big difference between a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 NT. also in a 3-4 you need big DEs who can set the edge and on passing downs can pressure the QB and guys who are good at both with prototype size are almost as rare as those mammoth Wilfork types of NT.

I agree that we need a big nose tackle if we're trying to run a 3/4 majority of the time but I'm still not sure I that's what we're doing. If we do draft him I think that'll be a good sign thats what we're planning on doing but we will need to do some serious work in the draft to make that transformation a smooth one besides just drafting Jenkins. Linebackers will be a serious need for us if we plan on switching, I trust TD tho so whatever he goes with I'm good.

I agree that we need a big nose tackle if we're trying to run a 3/4 majority of the time but I'm still not sure I that's what we're doing. If we do draft him I think that'll be a good sign thats what we're planning on doing but we will need to do some serious work in the draft to make that transformation a smooth one besides just drafting Jenkins. Linebackers will be a serious need for us if we plan on switching, I trust TD tho so whatever he goes with I'm good.

I don't think that Nolan has ever run a 4-3 by choice as a HC or DC and if I remember correctly he was the guy who transitioned the Dolphins D from 4-3 that we ran forever to the 3-4 that we ran for a few years and now run a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3. It is definitely a bit adjustment personnel wise but if you get talented guys who can play the 3-4 then chances are you can run the 4-3 anytime you'd like. I would think though that if the Falcons were switching that you'd have probably heard about it by now.

I don't think that Nolan has ever run a 4-3 by choice as a HC or DC and if I remember correctly he was the guy who transitioned the Dolphins D from 4-3 that we ran forever to the 3-4 that we ran for a few years and now run a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3. It is definitely a bit adjustment personnel wise but if you get talented guys who can play the 3-4 then chances are you can run the 4-3 anytime you'd like. I would think though that if the Falcons were switching that you'd have probably heard about it by now.

We ran a hybrid last year, expecting the same this year.

We ran a hybrid last year, expecting the same this year.

and he did that due to the personnel he inherited.

We are in trouble if we do that again with our current personnel...........expect the same results of a poor defense. Nolan needs a NT type body to even a run a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4 defense effectively where you use a 3 man D-line 50% of the time.

History shows Mike Nolan prefers a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense.

Edited by coachx

Hey I would rather us run a 3/4, just wasn't sure of that was the plan or not bc I haven't heard a thing about the move. I know a lot of people were saying that cuttin Abe had something to do with switching bc he hates the 3/4 but I believe that it had more to do with his 8 million dollar cap hit. So other than that I haven't seen anything saying or hinting that we're switching. Like I said earlier tho we're going to have to do some real work in the draft to make this switch work properly. We still need a corner bc I don't think grimes is coming back, we need a mammoth NT like you said, we also need another ILB bc I don't think Dent is going to be able to hold that down (maybe Dansby), also need good pass rushers on the edges bc I don't think Nich is the guy for that (I like Nich tho).

Dansby would make a lot of sense as long as he's willing to accept a big pay cut over what he was making before. But he's a premier ILB and has history with Nolan so who knows.

Personally I think having the ability to run a hybrid defense is fantastic as you can alter your defense week to week and even during games to change based on the team you're playing or to give the offense different looks throughout the game.

But having a mammoth 2 gap NT is something that any team wanting to run a 3-4 or a hybrid defense really needs and there aren't many of those available in the draft very often. Usually those are guys who take years of bulking up and training to be able to be successful in the NFL, with the exception being these guys who are graded as 1st-2nd rounders. Heck Miami has one of the best in the game in Paul Soliai and he really didn't even get to see the field much until his 3rd year in the league as he was developing after being a 4th round pick in 2007.

Whatever we decide to do I hope it doesn't impede our progress bc it may just be the homer in me but I see this being our year. And if we bring in a big NT and he isn't ready to anchor the defense then what? That's the biggest fear of mine tryin to make this switch. I think Dansby would be the perfect fit and I hope he's the next move but im still worried about the line.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My mockable mock:

1. Margus Hunt, DT, SMU - Power rusher with the speed to flex to DE; consider Alex Okafor if DE/OLB flexibility preferred

2. Barrett Jones, C, Alabama - May start at either center of guard alongside Konz, and serve as an upgrade in either scenario

3. Trevardo Williams, OLB, UConn - Can create havoc in the opposing backfield off the edge; can bulk to a future DE if needed

4. Tyrann Mathieu, CB/S, LSU - Worth the gamble? Can serve as nickel corner or free safety; maybe relieving Quiz of returner duties

4. Bruce Taylor, ILB, Virginia Tech - Can help with run stuffing and, potentially, any future transitions to a consistent 3-4.

5. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama - Really a tackle with hands; solid run blocker on Barrett Jones' line; plenty of time to work on receiving with Gonzalez back

6. Alex Carder, QB, Western Michigan - Steady arm when he has talent around him; can compete for backup spot

7. LaAdrian Waddle, LT, Texas Tech - Bruising blocker behind Top 3 NCAA passing attack can provide depth behind Baker

7. Javon Harris, S, Oklahoma - Can compete with Chris Hope (if re-signed) and Schann Schillinger behind Willy Mo

7. Dan Giordano, DE, Cincinnati - Unathletic but high-motor DE capable of getting to the QB

7. Dan Buckner, WR, Arizona - Maturing, tall possession receiver adds to the competition at backup WR

Biggest issue: The Falcons would still need a veteran CB (Jammer?), as top-flight CBs will likely be gone by the lower ends of rounds the Falcons are picking in. They may have to reach early if they're impressed with Jamar Traylor, David Amerson, Jordan Poyer, or Will Davis as a Day-1-starting CB, or make a trade to move up.

~lw3