• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Train Station Across From Philips Arena

Bahamut

Wow it's about time someone else has got on to this.its been over a year now since I posted a link here about this story which not a lot of people seemed to be interested in. It will essentially be Atlanta's own grand central/ union station. That would be huge for the city of Atlanta.

According to the below link, the preferred design for the Multimodal Passenger Terminal is this, which would provide a covered connection all the way from Five Points MARTA Station to Philips Arena:
Posted Image
  • Like 1

Oh I forgot, THANKS OBAMA!Posted Image

Wow it's about time someone else has got on to this.its been over a year now since I posted a link here about this story which not a lot of people seemed to be interested in. It will essentially be Atlanta's own grand central/ union station. That would be huge for the city of Atlanta.

• Like 1

Agreed, and the fact that it will open up right to Philips Arena means we can all avoid walking up those steps to the box office!

Here are some cutaway views of the three design alternatives, although alternative C is the preferred design:

http://www.dot.ga.gov/informationcenter/p3/projects/mmpt/Documents/PublicHearing/MMPT%20Design%20Concepts%20July%2011%202012.pdf

Oh I forgot, THANKS OBAMA!Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

I remember the thread:

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/372519-exciting-renovations-nearby-phlips/

It sounds like the multimodal project is getting to be more than buzz words, which is interesting. Thanks for keeping us posted, it is hard to follow this stuff for those of us outside of Atlanta even though we may still be interested.

Very excited about this.

I'd love to see a mockup of the new Falcons facility and infrastructure changes along with this MMPT concept.

I'm sure we'll know a lot more about the Falcons facility and street/surface redesigns in the next year or so.

• Like 1

Interesting ideas. It will be interesting to see how they come out. I do hope the new Falcon Dome, Phillips and the city planners all work together to get the streets and other transportation worked out downtown. Right now it is a real mess.

• Like 1

Good stuff. Now if we can just get them to turn underground into something besides a marsh pit we will be a much better city.

Only way to do that is to tear down the ghettos behind Underground and GSU and start over. You can't have nice public shopping centers, with nice bars and restaurants just 3 blocks from some of the worst ghettos in Atlanta. Quality retailers want no part of the high crime and safety issues that are connected to them...........plus it hurts the bottom line / sales / $$$.........That is why the north side of the GA Dome is still still mainly a ghetto. The crime there is just not an invation for private business investment.

I'm speaking as a GSU alumni who parked in the shared parking deck imbetween Underground and the GSU campus for 2.5 years. I'm also speaking as former Falcons Season Ticket Holder. of 5 years. who parked of Northside Dr. So I know the area and its pros / cons well.

Blank and his non profit foundation are donating millions to make the area North of the Dome better...........hopefully that ideology pays off. It will take that same kind of investment / vision near Underground and GSU to turn it around. It will take non profit organizations and tax payer money to start it before businesses start shelling out their $$$.

Edited by coachx

Very excited about this.

I'd love to see a mockup of the new Falcons facility and infrastructure changes along with this MMPT concept.

I'm sure we'll know a lot more about the Falcons facility and street/surface redesigns in the next year or so.

They have not announced who the architect will be yet. I hope they make the bid plans public of the different architect model plans who are bidding for the work.

I believe they are still waiting on the exact location as well. The preferred location of the Falcons is dependent on 2 churchs being torn down and relocated. Of course you can't start the designs until you know the location as each location has different set of challenges.

Then it's time to get rid of them or they get left behind cause Atlanta is 'moving on up.' Posted Image

I doubt this will ever happen because the majority of the state legislature hates MARTA and hates trains.

Blank and his non profit foundation are donating millions to make the area North of the Dome better...........hopefully that ideology pays off. It will take that same kind of investment / vision near Underground and GSU to turn it around. It will take non profit organizations and tax payer money to start it before businesses start shelling out their $$$.

Coachx, come on dude. You really think that Arthur;s money is going to help that area. A few wing joints and a barbershop will probably open up the rest of it is going to be pocketed by those community organizers. I worked that area for 3 years as a cps investigator. Poverty and drugs are dug into that area. Let's not even mention the bluff. I say tear it all down and and create a "high rent district".

Coachx, come on dude. You really think that Arthur;s money is going to help that area. A few wing joints and a barbershop will probably open up the rest of it is going to be pocketed by those community organizers. I worked that area for 3 years as a cps investigator. Poverty and drugs are dug into that area. Let's not even mention the bluff. I say tear it all down and and create a "high rent district".

Good point. Having grown up near that area, there is not much you can do that doesn't involve gentrifying it and starting over from scratch. And even if you do that, the folks who you force out have to move somewhere, right? They will simply venture to other lower-income areas in town and make those areas even worse. That happened years ago when they tore down the city's projects, like Carver Homes, Techwood, Lakewood Village, Leila Valley, et al. Those folks moved to neighboring areas that was decent but not great and turned them into human landmines...