• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Message to Chris Paul and Dwight Howard from a hawks fan:

JTB

Dear Mr. Chris Paul and Mr. Dwight Howard,

I know you two have BIG decisions coming up this summer and as a fan I thought I will give you a bit of advice....CHOOSE WISELY!

CP3: realize that blake isnt a robin and you cant do it on your own.

Howard: realize that everybody around you is on their way out and that the Lakers are so over the cap they wont have any real cap room until 3 years from now to replace some of these old timers by that time your 30!

signed,

Think-About-Your-Future

LOL but seriously guys taking all that in prospective I cant believe these two guys arent talking about teaming up SOMEWHERE especially the hawks! not saying this cause Im a fan but it looks to me that we have everything these two need to succeed.

-there is already a above average player here (Horford)

-smith will surely take a pay cut just to stay with a team like this

-this team has cap room to surround you both with role players

-this team has different abilities all over the place

-NUMBER ONE this team is young and good and championship material with you 2 on the team.

I will never get this! If they dont end up here I seriously question their desire to win a championship. Not because Im a hawks fan but because hands down this lineup of:

cp3/teague

harris/lou

smith/korver/dahantay

horford/ivan/tolliver

howard/zaza/rookie BIG

is the best lineup and bench they can put their selves in! That lineup is flat out championship written ALL over it! How do they not see this?......Choose wisely thats all Im saying...CHOOSE WISELY

I agree with you man. It does seem like an ideal situation. Falcons seem to get what they want...the Braves don't have a problem getting awesome pieces to keep them in the hunt....but this is the Hawks...its different with them. I just don't see it happening.

I get your argument for Dwight but I don't see Paul moving. Blake is a very good player and is still young. The Clippers can still make moves to improve the team.

I'm not trying to under value Blake by no means he is a good player. BUT I really do think that horford is a better power forward. Blake is a fantastic finisher but he lacks a jumpshot and defense.I just think cp3 would be better paired to horford a better overall pf without the flash but gets the job done.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I actually agree with the logic...and there's a "but" coming...but it's not the "we have no shot in hell at getting them" card. I agree with the logic, but this isn't the first time we've been the "perfect destination" for big time free agents. It is the perfect fit for both of them, but until we change the culture around here, it'll be this same story every year that a big name becomes available.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Paul's a smart guy. After the playoffs, he will have to decide if a core of Griffin, Jordan and Crawford is good enough to win titles or is good enough to beat Oklahoma City and other teams like Golden State and Houston out West who will be making vast improvement. I really take Paul seriously when he says he will explore his options in free agency.

I actually agree with the logic...and there's a "but" coming...but it's not the "we have no shot in hell at getting them" card. I agree with the logic, but this isn't the first time we've been the "perfect destination" for big time free agents. It is the perfect fit for both of them, but until we change the culture around here, it'll be this same story every year that a big name becomes available.

Thanks my purpose is to just notify hawk fans that if we had those 2 players we are instant champions adding them to this years team.Also I think too many general nba fans over value the clippers. I'm not trying to hate but it is what it is. If we had cp3 we would have been better than this clippers team many speak so high of.

Paul's a smart guy. After the playoffs, he will have to decide if a core of Griffin, Jordan and Crawford is good enough to win titles or is good enough to beat Oklahoma City and other teams like Golden State and Houston out West who will be making vast improvement. I really take Paul seriously when he says he will explore his options in free agency.

When did Paul say this? Last I heard he said he was definitely signing back with the clippers and his decision was made.

One question, who have the Hawks actually lost out on that we could A) promise the money, B) offer a winning situation? I don't remember us losing out on a guy like that. We lost out to guys when either we did not pursue them or we were just a bad situation.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Another thing for them to consider is the fact that the East is the better of the two conferences now with Miami, New York, Indiana, and Chicago over here. They would also be in the same division as the Heat and although that could create media interest, they may not want to play Miami four times as opposed to out West where they only have to play these teams twice. The best team in the West is OKC and the rest of the teams having their issues whether it be talent, chemistry, or age. The East is on the up and up, while the West is degrading which may appeal to Dwight and Paul because they'll have a better chance at winning and putting up numbers vs. Sacramento, Phoenix, and Nawlins. Sure they'd be playing in a division with the Magic, Wiz, and Cats, but playing Miami 4 times, Chicago 3-4 times, Boston 3-4 times, and New York 3-4 times may be a deterrent. Then again, if they are real competitors, that may be incentive. They may want the big time games like that. Atlanta w/ Paul and/or Dwight vs. New York/Boston/Miami/Chicago will grab more attention than Lakers/Clippers vs. Spurs/Mavs/Nuggets/Rockets/Blazers. Either way, competition is a factor that they will consider.

• Moderators

One question, who have the Hawks actually lost out on that we could A) promise the money, B) offer a winning situation? I don't remember us losing out on a guy like that. We lost out to guys when either we did not pursue them or we were just a bad situation.

I remember when Dwight was a free agent for the first time and being upset that the Hawks didn't pursue him. The Hawks have NEVER pursued anybody because either A) Cap space, B) Nonchalent, never-gonna-happen-so-we-are-not-gonna-even-try attitude, or C) To busy trying to sell Terry, Shareff, and Joe as superstars to go after REAL superstars. Atlanta motto has always been that mediocrity is good enough, but now Ferry is in charge and the tides are changing... IFWT

• Premium Member

A message from Dwight Howard and Chris Paul to a Hawks fan:

"We love LA! We don't want to play in Atlanta!"

I'd be ecstatic if we were able to land both of them but I'm not going to get my hopes up. At the very least, having the ability to get these guys here will give us another fun offseason.

Edited by cam1218

I remember when Dwight was a free agent for the first time and being upset that the Hawks didn't pursue him. The Hawks have NEVER pursued anybody because either A) Cap space, B) Nonchalent, never-gonna-happen-so-we-are-not-gonna-even-try attitude, or C) To busy trying to sell Terry, Shareff, and Joe as superstars to go after REAL superstars. Atlanta motto has always been that mediocrity is good enough, but now Ferry is in charge and the tides are changing... IFWT

Well I sure hope your right about that. The main thing I'm pushing people to realize is hey...the hawks team paired with these 2 superstars are actually better as a whole than the two teams these superstars can go back to or hell other teams they can end up with.When somebody give me a realistic possible lineup that could really happen better than this ------> cp3-Harris-smith-horford-D12and a bench behind that starting lineup like this-----> Teague-Lou-Korver-Ivan-Zaza I will shut up!....it seems so possible it's crazy. When's the last time the "hawks" had a opportunity for this to happen?We wouldn't even have to worry about retaining our good players like Korver, Teague, smith. They know what's up!

A message from Dwight Howard and Chris Paul to a Hawks fan:

"We love LA! We don't want to play in Atlanta!"

I'd be ecstatic if we were able to land both of them but I'm not going to get my hopes up. At the very least, having the ability to get these guys here will give us another fun offseason.

Not trying to give anybody hopes up. Like I said if when you look at the whole picture the hawks turn out to be the best option for Howard and cp3. Horford is locked in, smith would be easily locked in. Lou can be a great 6th man. Retaining Korver, Harris and Teague should be easy. We have two first round draft picks. A rookie this year Jenkins that can shoot really well and we are young!

My question is you take all that and compare it to the clippers or lakers or any other team and the hawks are the best team to go with. REALLY What holds you back from not coming to the ATL?

.......but PSSSHHHRRR87 basically explained it. The only holding them back is coming here is competing. Like PSSSHHHRRR87 said they may not look forward to playing the heat, Knicks, celtics, pacers, nets 3-4 times a year! But to be the best you have to beat the best.

These two obviously fear challenge if they look past the ATL.....I think that's clear. Like I said cp3 and Howard know what's up!

ATL in the media or not they know what team can become an absolute beast in the matter of one summer.

Just sayin.........

You can also add 25-30 millions reasons why, there is no way to ignore that.

Not trying to give anybody hopes up. Like I said if when you look at the whole picture the hawks turn out to be the best option for Howard and cp3. Horford is locked in, smith would be easily locked in. Lou can be a great 6th man. Retaining Korver, Harris and Teague should be easy. We have two first round draft picks. A rookie this year Jenkins that can shoot really well and we are young!My question is you take all that and compare it to the clippers or lakers or any other team and the hawks are the best team to go with. REALLY What holds you back from not coming to the ATL?.......but PSSSHHHRRR87 basically explained it. The only holding them back is coming here is competing. Like PSSSHHHRRR87 said they may not look forward to playing the heat, Knicks, celtics, pacers, nets 3-4 times a year! But to be the best you have to beat the best.These two obviously fear challenge if they look past the ATL.....I think that's clear. Like I said cp3 and Howard know what's up!ATL in the media or not they know what team can become an absolute beast in the matter of one summer.Just sayin.........

As awesome as it sounds, we can't keep all of those players.

If we get CP3 AND Dwight, we certainly can't keep Smith, we almost certainly can't keep Teague (like 99% we can't), and we could only keep one of Korver/Pachulia on the $3M exception if they take a paycut. Dwight and CP3 would need to take a small paycut too. It sucks, but it's true because of capholds and what not.

Having said that, we could still get both of them and field an incredible team, or just get one of them and surround them with Horford, perhaps Smith and/or Teague, and a bunch of high level roleplayers to field an incredible team.

As awesome as it sounds, we can't keep all of those players.

If we get CP3 AND Dwight, we certainly can't keep Smith, we almost certainly can't keep Teague (like 99% we can't), and we could only keep one of Korver/Pachulia on the $3M exception if they take a paycut. Dwight and CP3 would need to take a small paycut too. It sucks, but it's true because of capholds and what not.

Having said that, we could still get both of them and field an incredible team, or just get one of them and surround them with Horford, perhaps Smith and/or Teague, and a bunch of high level roleplayers to field an incredible team.

(( Ding !! ))

Horford + Lou + Jenkins + two 1st round draft picks = around 20 million

The cap holds on Smith and Devin Harris alone total over 29 million

Both CP3 and D12 will get max deals, totaling about 37 - 40 million together in the first year

Even if you renounced everyone else's contracts, we'd only have about 11 million under the salary cap to sign both CP3 and D12. To sign both of those guys, we'd have to cut ALL of our free agents . . . including Smith and Jeff Teague.

So Horford, Lou, Jenkins, two 1st round draft picks, CP3 and D12 = between 57 - 60 million . . . hopefully the salary cap is at least that high, otherwise, we can only afford one of them.

At this point, we are now over the salary cap, and can only add a MLE level player, a LLE level player, and some rookie and vet minimum guys to fill out the roster.

Would Harris or Korver come back for a MLE level contract? 2 yrs - 10 mill . . ( can't have them both, because both will probably will get a deal close to MLE type money from someone else. So pick one )

Would Ivan come back if we gave him the LLE ( Bi-Annual )? 2 yrs - 4 million . . ( which basically doubles what he's making right now )

Fill out the rest of the roster with vet minimum guys and non-drafted/cut rookies.

Edited by northcyde

Agreed, the only way to get D12 and CP3 and field a championship team with quality role and bench players is for both of them to sign for less than the maximum. It's all well and good to have the stars but as Miami has shown you still need a quality bench.

(( Ding !! ))

Horford + Lou + Jenkins + two 1st round draft picks = around 20 million

The cap holds on Smith and Devin Harris alone total over 29 million

Both CP3 and D12 will get max deals, totaling about 37 - 40 million together in the first year

Even if you renounced everyone else's contracts, we'd only have about 9 million under the salary cap to sign both CP3 and D12. To sign both of those guys, we'd have to cut ALL of our free agents . . . including Smith and Jeff Teague.

So Horford, Lou, Jenkins, two 1st round draft picks, CP3 and D12 = between 57 - 60 million . . . hopefully the salary cap is at least that high, otherwise, we can only afford one of them.

At this point, we are now over the salary cap, and can only add a MLE level player, a LLE level player, and some rookie and vet minimum guys to fill out the roster.

Would Harris or Korver come back for a MLE level contract? 2 yrs - 10 mill . . ( can't have them both, because both will probably will get a deal close to MLE type money from someone else. So pick one )

Would Ivan come back if we gave him the LLE ( Bi-Annual )? 2 yrs - 4 million . . ( which basically doubles what he's making right now )

Fill out the rest of the roster with vet minimum guys and non-drafted/cut rookies.