• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks switching to 92.9 The Garbage

Bahamut

Your radio broadcast is a paid advertisement for ticket sales. When the signal doesn't reach 3/4 of Atlanta Metro....that's a problem.

Years ago before having a network of stations, the Braves were on AM750 taking advantage of the 50,000 watt blowtorch. They developed a fanbase that stretched across 10 states. They broadcast games on TBS and reached almost every state in the union. For a while nearly every game seemed like a sell out.

The Hawks need to learn from this philosophy. Moving to 92.9 is a step in the right direction.

Thank heavens. I know some on here hate 929, but I drive around so much, I really enjoy the static-free signal (even outside of 285!) along with the majority of the programming. Plus, they actually talk about basketball for more than 2 minutes out of every day like 680. I'm completely behind the decision to have the games on 929 because now I can actually listen to them. What a novel idea - Hallelujah!!!!!!

• Like 2

I remember listening to the Hawks on AM 750 back in the mid-late 90s. I don't think they carried every game, because UGA football and Braves baseball always had precedent over the Hawks. But when they did carry a game at night, I could hear that signal all the way in Middle Tennessee.

The Hawks flagship station being on 680 AM was a complete joke, and maybe one of the main reasons why this team doesn't have much of a following around the city. Radio, especially at work or in a car, is still THE best way to follow a game.

Whenever I go to Atlanta, I can pick up 92.9 The Game almost as soon as I hit Rome, GA.

Now . . what they need to do is get a little ( no . . . A LOT ) more creativity in their PR department, and really tap into the celebrities in that city, to see if they can drum up a little more casual fan support for the Hawks.

• Moderators

I like the Gar, er, the Game. It is odd to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to hear some guy from Peoplestown debating LD's coaching philosophy, but I like it. They get a little gabby about non-Sports stuff, but being a round-the-clock local operation, they get a pass.

My one fuss (besides the crappy ads, not much they can do about that) is that some of their personalities are stretched so thin between their radio shows and their other media duties. I'm sure they don't mind the gigs as extra income and expanded local exposure, but it does affect the quality of their shows. Jerome Jurenovich just stepped away from his mid-day show, naturally, now that the Braves need him a ton on SportSouth/Fox Sports South. Morning show lead guy Rick Kamla comes across as sleepy some mornings, and rightfully so, since he's usually up all night taping NBATV broadcasts during/after games.

As I mentioned before, having the canned former Hawks PR director as their executive producer helps a ton for providing substantive, and not watered-down, critique and praise of the Hawks and serious discussion of the NBA. How securing the Hawks' contract for 2013-14 affects that remains to be seen. I presume this means Hometeam Brandon Leak makes the shift as well?

I've also noticed that since they came on 24-7, the AM stations have stepped up their, um, small-g game with more Hawks content and engaging discussion.

I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere yet, but your old friends The 2 Live Stews get out of their non-compete clause in June. So, love em or hate em, get ready!

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think 92.9 should dump the drivetime show with Kordell, and give Mel from Southwest Atlanta his own show.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

92.9's NBA show with 3D and Sam Mitchell is VERY good.Great show last night! Did get a little uncomfortable when that Sacramento reporter completely blew up 3D.

• Premium Member

looking,,,seems they only keep audio from the weekday shows.

• Moderators

92.9's NBA show with 3D and Sam Mitchell is VERY good.Great show last night! Did get a little uncomfortable when that Sacramento reporter completely blew up 3D.

I lol'd too. 3D should have let him answer his initial question first without interrupting him.

~lw3

I lol'd too. 3D should have let him answer his initial question first without interrupting him. ~lw3

Elaborate please for those of us who missed it.

• Moderators

Elaborate please for those of us who missed it.

The SacBee writer was clearly an "FTM" Kings fan advocate, and had no plans to conceal his biases against the Maloofs on an out-of-town show.

I think Dennis drew the short straw and had the Devil's Advocate role, and of course when you're only listening to the audio, it can come across as the Devil itself. Dennis asked the guy something (NineOh can correct me) along the lines of, "How can Sacramento expect to keep the team when fans hardly show up to the game anymore?"

Dennis started garbling over the guy in an attempt to elaborate on his question when the SacBee guy gave that popular line of frustration, "Are you gonna let me finish?", before intimating that anyone who would even raise the question has no clue what they're talking about. Clearly perturbed, the SacBee guy then rattled off a minutes-long list of administrative failures and neglectful actions under the Maloof Brothers watch, ever since Chris Webber went down, everything from the coaches to the current arena, concluding that the Maloofs (Joe and Gavin) were heirs who built their wealth and reputation off of what their father earned, without any sense of how to keep from running enterprises into the ground, and that Kings fans are rabid about their team but increasingly less willing to subsidize the Maloofs.

I think Sam Mitchell and the other host handled the remaining questions from there. lol

~lw3

• Like 2

The SacBee writer was clearly an "FTM" Kings fan advocate, and had no plans to conceal his biases against the Maloofs on an out-of-town show. I think Dennis drew the short straw and had the Devil's Advocate role, and of course when you're only listening to the audio, it can come across as the Devil itself. Dennis asked the guy something (NineOh can correct me) along the lines of, "How can Sacramento expect to keep the team when fans hardly show up to the game anymore?" Dennis started garbling over the guy in an attempt to elaborate on his question when the SacBee guy gave that popular line of frustration, "Are you gonna let me finish?", before intimating that anyone who would even raise the question has no clue what they're talking about. Clearly perturbed, the SacBee guy then rattled off a minutes-long list of administrative failures and neglectful actions under the Maloof Brothers watch, ever since Chris Webber went down, everything from the coaches to the current arena, concluding that the Maloofs (Joe and Gavin) were heirs who built their wealth and reputation off of what their father earned, without any sense of how to keep from running enterprises into the ground, and that Kings fans are rabid about their team but increasingly less willing to subsidize the Maloofs. I think Sam Mitchell and the other host handled the remaining questions from there. lol ~lw3

Thanks lol