• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How the #*$& Do You Lose Lebron on GW Shot?

AHF

• Moderators

You must have a defender on him and a defender between him and the rim. How do you leave your best defender (Hibbert) on the bench?

Bad Pacers. You deserve to lose if you defend Miami like that on a game winning shot.

Above all, you needed to force Miami to beat you on a jumper and instead you let arguably the best driver in the game go undefended to the rim.

• Like 1

They took out Hibbert for fear of Bosh/Battier stepping out but mostly that was on George. When you know you don't have protection in the paint you can't overplay on a guy and give him a lane. I can only assume that he misjudged just how much time was left.

• Moderators

They took out Hibbert for fear of Bosh/Battier stepping out but mostly that was on George. When you know you don't have protection in the paint you can't overplay on a guy and give him a lane. I can only assume that he misjudged just how much time was left.

Oh no...don't let Bosh or Battier shoot a jumper! That would only be an ideal outcome for the last shot with Lebron and Wade watching.

Taking out your best defensive player to avoid an 0-4 Battier shooting a jumper = fail.

Oh no...don't let Bosh or Battier shoot a jumper! That would only be an ideal outcome for the last shot with Lebron and Wade watching.

Taking out your best defensive player to avoid an 0-4 Battier shooting a jumper = fail.

Despite the percentages you do not just concede open jumpers to jumpshooters as a single game isn't usually indicative of their larger body of work. All I know is that Vogel had all their shooters covered and his best perimeter defender locked up on Bron. I'm sure he liked his chances on that possesion as no one would of felt that a defender of George's quality would of just allowed Lebron to waltz to the rim all the way from the 3 point line. It is what it is.

• Moderators

Despite the percentages you do not just concede open jumpers to jumpshooters as a single game isn't usually indicative of their larger body of work. All I know is that Vogel had all their shooters covered and his best perimeter defender locked up on Bron. I'm sure he liked his chances on that possesion as no one would of felt that a defender of George's quality would of just allowed Lebron to waltz to the rim all the way from the 3 point line. It is what it is.

No one would think that could happen...except that it happened also on the previous possession when he left Hibbert on the bench and Lebron easily scored going to the rim. How could you expect that Miami would go to their go to play that had just succeeded?

I would happily give up a jumper and have Bosh shooting a J on a closing out 7'2'' Hibbert rather than give Lebron the ball with one-on-one coverage and no help.

This makes as much sense as saying, "well, Josh Smith should keep shooting those jumpers because you don't pass up an open jumper." On the game deciding possession, you cannot let Lebron have a free lane to the hoop. You need a primary defender and help waiting between Lebron and the rim.

Vogel won't repeat that mistake but I think he blew his best chance of shaking this series up. Expect a Game 2 win that they don't sweat from Miami.

Well the previous play the Heat forced a switch and got Lebron on Hill, right? As in that's not the matchup that the Pacers wanted, their 6'2" PG as opposed to their 6'9" All World defender being on Lebron. They made the adjustment of making sure that George wasn't switched off him on the last possesion.

I don't quite think you know who Paul George happens to be and I also don't see why you are bothering mentioning Josh as if he's anywhere within the realm of jumpshooter as Battier and Bosh. FYI, they make shots, big shots for that matter. That's the Miami formula that has gotten them to two Finals.

Had it been the other way around where Lebron drove, drew in the defense and kicked the ball out to an open shooter I'm sure you would of been screaming how ^%^%%# do you leave Ray Allen/Battier/Bosh wide open!!! Why we are also pretending that Hibbert is this fleet of foot 7'2" god that can cover 20 feet in an instance is another question, Miami also happened to have been abusing his help defense all night by hitting the free man when he rotated.

It is what it is. Bron made a great play spurred by George making a boneheaded one, lets not act as if that was the only possible outcome with a player the caliber of Bron and a team the caliber of the Heat. I really don't know how to reiterate this but no personnel move would of overcame the fact that Paul George made a monumetal mistake on tha possesion.

• Moderators

Geez. I just see no way the Pacers win this series. Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Allen/Battier. The talent and understanding of the game is heavily in Miami's favor. Lebron ain't carmelo. He's much stronger. Even with Hibbert in there's probably a foul.

• Moderators

Well the previous play the Heat forced a switch and got Lebron on Hill, right? As in that's not the matchup that the Pacers wanted, their 6'2" PG as opposed to their 6'9" All World defender being on Lebron. They made the adjustment of making sure that George wasn't switched off him on the last possesion.

I don't quite think you know who Paul George happens to be and I also don't see why you are bothering mentioning Josh as if he's anywhere within the realm of jumpshooter as Battier and Bosh. FYI, they make shots, big shots for that matter. That's the Miami formula that has gotten them to two Finals.

Had it been the other way around where Lebron drove, drew in the defense and kicked the ball out to an open shooter I'm sure you would of been screaming how ^%^%%# do you leave Ray Allen/Battier/Bosh wide open!!! Why we are also pretending that Hibbert is this fleet of foot 7'2" god that can cover 20 feet in an instance is another question, Miami also happened to have been abusing his help defense all night by hitting the free man when he rotated.

It is what it is. Bron made a great play spurred by George making a boneheaded one, lets not act as if that was the only possible outcome with a player the caliber of Bron and a team the caliber of the Heat. I really don't know how to reiterate this but no personnel move would of overcame the fact that Paul George made a monumetal mistake on tha possesion.

Nope. Absolutely wrong.

The best defensive lineup for Indiana includes Hibbert and that applies with the game on the line as much as it does for the rest of the game. Hibbert's presence forced Lebron to dish the ball several times down the stretch in the fourth quarter and getting the ball out of Lebron's hands is the absolute top priority for Indiana's defense. Priority #2 is forcing him to shoot a jumper. This was fundamentally bad basketball by Indiana whether George screwed up or not. Lebron ate George's lunch one on one all game and will keep doing it all season. He is the best in the game. Don't let the other team feature their best weapon in a high % opportunity (a high % opportunity includes having one guy guard Lebron without help).

Let's also not overrate Bosh and Battier on jumpers. From 10 feet and out, Bosh shot 47%. Battier shot 42%. That means you have a greater than 50% chance of winning if you let them shoot a jumper.

What are the odds that Lebron fails to score or get fouled? On a jumper, pretty decent. On a drive to the hoop without a rim protection or help? Probably your worst odds in the game.

The rim protector should have been there and it cost Indiana on the two most important possessions of the game.

Ayi yi yi. Your Heat hate has just clouded all reasonable judgement. Watch that play again. Notice before the inbound all the matchups were Hill on Chalmers, George on Lebron, Young on Allen, Hansbrough on Bosh and West was guarding Battier on the inbounds. Now notice the Heat run the action where Allen sets a brush screen and the Pacers switch immediately moving Young on Bosh and Hansbrough on Allen as Allen makes a mad sprint to corner on the side of the inbounds. Are you telling me.....that just out of your hate for Lebron and the Heat.......that you would concede an open jumper to Ray frickin Allen?

Sure, you'll be that coach that says "yes, I figured my All World defender would jump the inbounds and allow a wide open lane to the basket so I said shut down the lane Hibbs, don't even switch on that play and cover that option on the inbounds, just go ahead and let one of the greatest shooters in NBA history to go get a free look because, well *rustles up stat sheet* well it says here he's only a career 45% shooter and an even worse 40% from 3 but disregard all that, in this particular game he was only 1-8. I'll take those odds because you see, there's no such thing as situational basketball in the NBA. You play your best guys no matter the time, situation, play or opposing matchups. If you lose on an open jumper, so be it. I rather that than even give my players the opportunity to f*** up an individual defensive assignment where they were supposed to *ahem* force a contested jumper"

That would be a great press conference.

I thought the Pacers had built a team that could/ should beat the Heat last season. The difference is the Heat have 4 guys who can play point as well as Indiana's starter and "Birdman, Birdman!" cancelling out any great effort Hansborough might have. I have thoroghly enjoyed watching Paul George emerge, though. His size is perfect and has no glaring weaknesses. The Pacers blew their Game 1 Steal chance a la Golden State versus San An, so I'm going Heat in a tough 5th or easy 6th. San An will get their shot and I guarantee they definately won't blow a chance to steal away Homecourt. I've neve thought the Heat fielded a truly great team since LeBron's arrival. They have shown to not be quite good enough only to be saved by his heroics.The decision to sit Hibbert in those crucial moments can be debated I guess, but I think you're really out-thinking yourself per Mace's logic. Furthermore, it was speculated Vogel was "punishing" Hibbert for poor plays at the rim earlier, which I definately disagree with if true.

Edited by benhillboy

You know what the funny thing is, BenHill? The Spurs ran nearly the exact same play to win game 1 against Golden State. The Warriors took the "Don't let Parker beat us" approach, didn't switch the play and left Manu for a wide open 3. We all know how that ended.

Manu was 4-19 before that basket.

Edited by MaceCase

• Moderators

We're talking conference finals so no one is getting blown out normally and no one is going to trick play their way to the finals. So these are usually going to be really close games. I'll take the team with 5 guys who have been major clutch their whole careers everytime even if i can't stand them.

• Moderators

My problem isn't with the result. I don't mind what Golden State did at all.

If you give Josh Smith an open look on the final shot, he is going to beat you sometimes. Manu is better than Josh, obviously, and he isn't the first guy you shade away from but you pick your poison and I would jump up and down with excitement to see a game winning shot being put up by Shane Battier (i.e., I'd let Battier's man shade towards other players to avoid open shots by Wade, Bosh, Allen or Lebron).

I was apoplectic because I thought Indiana deliberately put themselves in a low % situation. I remain highly critical of their approach and bet that they don't leave Lebron again in a 1 on 1 situation without help like they chose to do down the stretch. The single thing you can't let Lebron do is get a step on his man without help defense in that situation above anything else.

• Moderators

I like Arnowitz's writing for ESPN. Here he makes an argument for both schools of thought on the play:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=58594

I am 100000% on board with these thoughts:

[*]With 2.2 seconds left, an NBA defense is immune from a defensive 3-second call and can effectively zone up against any play. A zone defense is vulnerable to all kinds of hazards, open shots most prominent among them, because the goal is to guard space rather than individuals. Not having a specific guy tasked with defending specific scorers is risky, especially if one of those scorers is named LeBron James. But the Pacers are uniquely equipped to run a matchup zone for 2.2 seconds. Place Hibbert inside the circle, match up Paul George on James and zone the back side of the floor. The Pacers have some of the most capable, long-armed gap defenders in basketball and close space on shooters better than any team in the league. Zoning up would take away just about anything at the rim, though it would leave the Pacers vulnerable to a potential midrange shot from Chris Bosh -- a pretty reasonable trade-off, if not an ideal one.

[*]Too dangerous, especially since the most prolific long-distance shooter in history is licking his chops on the weak side? Then how about not guarding the inbounder, Shane Battier, leaving Hibbert underneath and going with a man-to-man defense on the other four Miami players? It's a tough call, because ball pressure is essential and, as every coach at every level preaches, somebody must account for the inbounder once the ball is put in play. But let's replay the possession with Battier passing the ball in to James as he did Wednesday night. James is a willing passer and could conceivably return the ball to Battier, who stands 30 feet from the basket, with 1-point-whatever seconds remaining on the clock. It's safe to say that's a shot the Pacers can live with.

The funny thing about the article, though, is that it isn't a debate about whether leaving Hibbert off the floor was right. It was essentially a debate about which of 4 different strategies would have best utilized Hibbert on the floor with the starting premise that Indiana is better with him on the floor than without him (when they gave up two easy shots to Lebron at the rim).

• Moderators

Looks like Miami wanted no part of any play where anyone other than James was shooting or a jumper was the result either:

But Bosh said he was never an option to take the Heat's final shot. As for James, he said he would have attacked the rim no matter who was there protecting it.

Miami should continue that as well. Lebron in a one-on-one situation where he can lower his head and attack the rim is by far their best offensive play.