• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How will the hiring of Budenholzer effect the Hawks Draft & Free Agency?

PaceRam

Now that the Hawks have hired Mike Budenholzer as their next Head Coach (which, I think is a GREAT HIRE!) how do you think his hiring will effect the Hawks upcoming Draft and Free Agency? Will he attract top players, what type players in the Draft and in Free Agency can we expect to see him go after, etc? I don't know much about him other than he has been one of the top assistants to one of the alltime best NBA Head Coaches so I am guessing that he should have a great foundation to take over a Head Coaching position. I am very, very excited about Budenholdolzer!

It will most definately help. SA always drafts well, and FA's will want to play for someone who has a winning pedigree and high basketball IQ. If we can land the right pieces with all the cap space we have, Bud might be able to hit the ground running

He adds credibility and stability to the organization. Ferry can really sell the "new culture" and the "Spurs Way" slogans. This is not the old Hawks franchise anymore.

Glad he is here to give his input on the draft.

• Like 1

Don't want to overdo it with drafting foreign players, but SF Dario Saric would be an exciting pick.

Its hard to say what will be done as far as picks and free agency goes but I do know this.....you will not see any bonehead players on this team. These two guys are bringing the spurs type organization with them and they dont deal with bone heads, even stephen jackson got cut right before the playoffs started.

If you look at the types of players SA has had throughout the years under Pop, it is very easy to pinpoint what style player they like:

PG -- They like point guards that can penetrate and hit the open jumper (Avery Johnson/Tony Parker)

SG -- They like twos that can shoot from the perimeter and attack the lane (Mario Elie/Manu Ginobli)

SF -- They like small forwards that can hit the three point shot and defend (Robert Horry/Sean Elliot/Bruce Bowen/Kawhi Leonard)

PF -- They like power forwards that can space the floor as well as score in the post (Tim Duncan/Malik Rose)

C -- They like centers that can score in the post and protect the rim (David Robinson/Tim Duncan/Tiago Splitter)

The three point shot is emphasized. Pop actually took a lot of his offensive style from Mike D'Antoni. The one thing that has changed is that they have gone from an inside/outside slow paced offense to one that is more pick and roll oriented.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Don't want to rain on the parade guys but what has this guy actually done? Pops is the coach in San Antion, Bud has zero track record. Like Hotlanta said this is not a hire that the media will get excited about. This is not the home run hire that lands big talent in free agency, this is a rebuild hire. I have nothing against Bud but he is a shot in the dark. Before you get that tingle feeling up your leg, take a long, objective look at this hire.

Don't want to rain on the parade guys but what has this guy actually done? Pops is the coach in San Antion, Bud has zero track record. Like Hotlanta said this is not a hire that the media will get excited about. This is not the home run hire that lands big talent in free agency, this is a rebuild hire. I have nothing against Bud but he is a shot in the dark.Before you get that tingle feeling up your leg, take a long, objective look at this hire.

Like every other assistant coach who became a head coach - shot in the dark.

What home run hire would you have preferred from the vast pool of big name available coaches that were interested in Atlanta?

• Premium Member

Like every other assistant coach who became a head coach - shot in the dark. What home run hire would you have preferred from the vast pool of big name available coaches that were interested in Atlanta?

Not saying I don't like him, he just hasn't proved a thing at this point as a head coach. I'm saying this hire was not for competing for championships in the near future, it's rebuilding mode. SVG, JVG, and other top tier coaches that can be had. You gotta spend the money to play in this game. See the Spurs got lucky in the draft with a couple number 1 picks named Robinson and Duncan, if not for that they would never be in a conversation. The hawks present day don't have the luck of the first pick in a draft to get two hall of fame players.
  • Like 1

Don't want to rain on the parade guys but what has this guy actually done? Pops is the coach in San Antion, Bud has zero track record. Like Hotlanta said this is not a hire that the media will get excited about. This is not the home run hire that lands big talent in free agency, this is a rebuild hire. I have nothing against Bud but he is a shot in the dark. Before you get that tingle feeling up your leg, take a long, objective look at this hire.

Get out of here with that shit man. Jeez.

Not saying I don't like him, he just hasn't proved a thing at this point as a head coach. I'm saying this hire was not for competing for championships in the near future, it's rebuilding mode. SVG, JVG, and other top tier coaches that can be had. You gotta spend the money to play in this game. See the Spurs got lucky in the draft with a couple number 1 picks named Robinson and Duncan, if not for that they would never be in a conversation. The hawks present day don't have the luck of the first pick in a draft to get two hall of fame players.

I guessed you missed the part about 'available coaches' - JVG likes the booth, Ferry spoke with SVG he said he had no interest in coaching this year. What other top tier AVAILABLE coach?Yes, the Spurs got lucky in getting Robinson and Duncan but it is the sustained excellence over that time with the ever changing supporting cast that makes it impressive.