• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to move Al Horford?

GameTime

• Premium Member

I don't see him starting with Horford and Howard. Its been proven Howard is best with floor spacers around him.......and Smith is no floor spacer.

What?... How is that? I know for a fact he does create alot of space around himself when in the perimeter... Posted Image

• Like 1

Guest Walter

I hate to say it but we all know Howard and horford is a way better combination than Howard and smith but Howard may not come unless he sees smith here!This has pleasing Dwight Howard written all over it! Suddenly I'm not so happy about a possible Paul, smith, Howard combination!....YIKES!!!!! 2 divas and a half <----Paul being the half!But I must say I rather keep horford and just gamble on the possibility of Howard and Paul teaming up with him than to trade him for Howard and smith to be our two bigs!This better be just a rumor! What the hell is ferry thinking if its not?!

I might tell DH "no go" even if it meant he and Paul. I would have done it suspecting we'd have some rel comp financially for their services but not now and I doubt CP prefers that.W

Guest Walter

Its just as possible to pay Howard, CP3, and Josh as it is Howard, CP3, and Horford ( 12 million cap hit ). The key is signing Josh to 10 to 12 first so his bigger cap hold goes away, then move Horford in a SNT for Howard or CP3. Not saying it will happen, but both scenarios can be accomplished.

In this case would you trade Horford to either LA or to a team with $12 mil in cap space and a first ( because Horford would be worth both).I hate both ideas btw.W

• Premium Member

I really doubt we get rid of Horford. I see why it would make sense for LAL and Dwight to sign and trade him, I just don't think is what we want.Does anyone here follow Al on Facebook? He has been talking about the Spurs and talking about working out with our rookies and Mack. Doesn't sound like he thinks he is going. I'll take Horford/Paul over Josh/Dwight 24/7. I want guys that play the game right.!

you see how the spurs killing the heat with there floor spacing and 3 point shooting?? we will NEVER be able to replicate that with jbrick and d12 on the floor at the same time.

We will be much better if we use that jbrick salary on shooters. specially 3 and D guys

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 1

Why do we have posters who insist on bashing Howard when Howard didn't do a damn thing in this thread? I understand some of you don't appreciate Dwight like others do but please reframe from bashing Dwight and do not bash Smoove either. This is a blanket thread. We shouldn't bash, Ferry, Smoove, Dwight, Horf, or anyone at all.

No bashing Josh??? Yeah right that's funny. Like that's gonna happen. Not sure what a "blanket" thread is referring to but any thread where Horford is traded and Josh is a Hawk is going to end with an anti-Josh campaign. And rightfully so.

• Like 2

If Dwight wanted us to trade Horford and keep Dwight I'd say bye bye Dwight and take Smoove with you to the world of 52% ft shootin dummy land.Keep smoove*

Move AL - for goodness sakes - if it gets us D12 AND CP3 - Whoosh. Anybody who thinks AL is a franchise builder type guy is a moron.

He's just a regular small center who needs time at PF to be average or above average there...he's a good player but he has no post skills to speak of.

Lordy.

Edited by DJlaysitup

You think a Dwight / Josh front court can win a championship but I'm the moron? Mmmkay. I want no part of a superstar that is only coming to play with his buddies and not to win championships. This isn't elementary school bro. Even The Lord can't help Josh so leave him out of it.

DJ no offense dude but if you think that there's a better fit for Dwight than Al Horford you are off your rocker. And a Josh Dwight pair would be terrible at everything but shot blocking but just imagine trying to close games with 2 guys who can only score efficiently in the paint and can't shoot jumpers or hit FTs. Spacing would be a nightmare plus you'd have 2 guys loafing back up the court on D after complaining to the ref. 1 is enough with Dwight, we don't need another in Josh as well.

• Like 4

Move AL - for goodness sakes - if it gets us D12 AND CP3 - Whoosh. Anybody who thinks AL is a franchise builder type guy is a moron.

He's just a regular small center who needs time at PF to be average or above average there...he's a good player but he has no post skills to speak of.

Lordy.

Please explain your post. How would Horf be an average to above average PF? He is already a top 15-20 player. The best movement big in the NBA. He also averaged 20-10 in the 2nd half of the season and played very good overall defense as well which makes him the best two way PF in the NBA outside of Duncan. Everything you said, is BS.

• Moderators

Please explain your post. How would Horf be an average to above average PF? He is already a top 15-20 player. The best movement big in the NBA. He also averaged 20-10 in the 2nd half of the season and played very good overall defense as well which makes him the best two way PF in the NBA outside of Duncan. Everything you said, is BS.

I agree he is underselling Horford but at the same time he clearly is not a franchise talent. Over 48 playoff games, Horford has averaged 12.4 ppg and 8.7 rpg while shooting .517 TS%. Over the last two seasons he has averaged about 16 ppg and 8.5 rpg in the playoffs. Those aren't star numbers by any means. He is an excellent third wheel but not someone who would justify passing on Howard and Paul. As a third wheel, any sane person would much rather have Horford than Smith but if it is a choice between (a) Teague/Horford/Jefferson or (b) Paul/Smith/Howard then I am taking the latter trio and trading Josh if he can't get with the program. Neither option is as good as ( c) Paul/Horford/Howard but if that option isn't on the table then it simply isn't an option.

• Like 1

DJ no offense dude but if you think that there's a better fit for Dwight than Al Horford you are off your rocker...

No - Really - that's not what I meant. (if I said that I was probably into the wine Posted Image )...what I meant was that AL is no kinda guy (at least at this point) who should be thought of as the "Rock of Gibraulter" of this franchise.

He's good - yes - he doesn't get in trouble - yes (doesn't)...but he's a 6-9 1/2 Center/PF who I would classify as top 30%....a good player but he isn't an "impact" player.

Would you trade him straight up for his PF partner at Florida? (Noah)...well heck yeah - SURE you would- if you had any brains.

Noah is an impact player.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I agree he is underselling Horford but at the same time he clearly is not a franchise talent. Over 48 playoff games, Horford has averaged 12.4 ppg and 8.7 rpg while shooting .517 TS%. Over the last two seasons he has averaged about 16 ppg and 8.5 rpg in the playoffs. Those aren't star numbers by any means. He is an excellent third wheel but not someone who would justify passing on Howard and Paul. As a third wheel, any sane person would much rather have Horford than Smith but if it is a choice between (a) Teague/Horford/Jefferson or (b) Paul/Smith/Howard then I am taking the latter trio and trading Josh if he can't get with the program. Neither option is as good as ( c) Paul/Horford/Howard but if that option isn't on the table then it simply isn't an option.

Playoffs stats are flawed because it doesn't tell you how the game or series went. He was just coming off an injury last year v. Boston. Chicago series was a clunker. Orlando series was a good series for Al. Indy series was one where Al might have been the 2nd best player in the series aside from George who we had no answer for. Al was hurt v. Cleveland. Al was very good v. Miami. He was a role player v. Boston where he impressed. He was solid as a role player v. Milwaukee but that series was Josh series to win or lose.

I think he is a franchise talent. I don't think he is a top 10 player but at the same time, in the right system and right personnel, he could be one of the best players in the NBA. I really don't need statistical measures and even then statistically he is extremely strong at finishing, mid range shooting, the PnR, PnP, and he is extremely smart as well even with a limited amount of touches during the season in previous years.

While your last paragraph is blanket because you are comparing a star with two overrated role players to two elite superstars and a very talented tweener, I will stick with my beliefs on Horford.

My opinion is Horford is an elite movement PF who struggles at creating his offense consistently and clearly is not a defensive anchor. That's pretty much it. I don't think he is a 3rd wheel if he has the PG and he has the center to gravitate attention from the defense from Al.

No - Really - that's not what I meant. (if I said that I was probably into the wine Posted Image )...what I meant was that AL is no kinda guy (at least at this point) who should be thought of as the "Rock of Gibraulter" of this franchise.

He's good - yes - he doesn't get in trouble - yes (doesn't)...but he's a 6-9 1/2 Center/PF who I would classify as top 30%....a good player but he isn't an "impact" player.

Would you trade him straight up for his PF partner at Florida? (Noah)...well heck yeah - SURE you would- if you had any brains.

Noah is an impact player.

How is Horford not an impact player? How is he not a top 15-20 player in the NBA? Please, I am waiting?

• Moderators

Playoffs stats are flawed because it doesn't tell you how the game or series went. He was just coming off an injury last year v. Boston. Chicago series was a clunker. Orlando series was a good series for Al. Indy series was one where Al might have been the 2nd best player in the series aside from George who we had no answer for. Al was hurt v. Cleveland. Al was very good v. Miami. He was a role player v. Boston where he impressed. He was solid as a role player v. Milwaukee but that series was Josh series to win or lose.

I think he is a franchise talent. I don't think he is a top 10 player but at the same time, in the right system and right personnel, he could be one of the best players in the NBA. I really don't need statistical measures and even then statistically he is extremely strong at finishing, mid range shooting, the PnR, PnP, and he is extremely smart as well even with a limited amount of touches during the season in previous years.

While your last paragraph is blanket because you are comparing a star with two overrated role players to two elite superstars and a very talented tweener, I will stick with my beliefs on Horford.

My opinion is Horford is an elite movement PF who struggles at creating his offense consistently and clearly is not a defensive anchor. That's pretty much it. I don't think he is a 3rd wheel if he has the PG and he has the center to gravitate attention from the defense from Al.

Isn't someone who struggles to create offensive consistently and who is clearly not a defensive anchor but who is good at a lot of things pretty much the definition of a third wheel on a championship team?

Other third wheel PFs on championship teams:

Chris Bosh

Horace Grant

Dennis Rodman

Rasheed Wallace