• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

3rd Game - Finals - this is usually the Big One (game thread)

DJlaysitup

Miami really needs a center.

It's been interesting watching how they've faired against certain centers and big fronts in the playoffs in the LeBron Era (there never was a Big 3 IMO, it's hard for Wade to feel the game out and provide what's needed and his jumper is awful and Bosh likes to stand around watching other people hit the glass). They went 7 games against Boston last year with 40 year-old, 200 lb KG converting to C and killing them but Bass is pretty useless beyond his jumper. Hibbert gave them fits until they doubled ferociously in Game 7 and couldn't overcome their below-average backcourt. Noah can has had his way with them but doesn't get enough consitent help from Boozer, Gibson didn't progress like many thought he would, and letting Asik walk was very questionable, let alone having to compensate for the ridiculous absence of Rose. Chandler dominated them beside Dirk. Perkins and Ibaka have nowhere near the skill to make a difference. Hell, Collison should've gotten more run. Now they face two seven footers. One not so good but knows the importance of dominating the glass and how easy it is versus the Heat. The other seven footer is Tim Duncan. What have we learned? Put two seven footers together and they can't match it. I'm sure LeBron would love to have at least a Ilgauskus up front. Hell, Zo could probably suit up and give them some grit up there. I know they have roster and money issues, but it's a gross oversight on Riley's part. Arrogant even after he won 5 championships, none without Hall Of Fame Centers. Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

"I can't tell you that."

Greg Popovich said it all when they asked him about his gameplan for LeBron. It's the same thing that the Bulls, Celtics, and Pacers did. If you can limit the penetration from LeBron and Wade, you're doing good. If you can make them shoot jumpers, then you're doing even better. But if you can get those two to focused on scoring (as opposed to getting others involved)...on top of all that, then you're probably going to win.

And right on time, LeBron had this to say:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9377200/2013-nba-finals-lebron-james-miami-heat-says-struggles-continue

"As dark as it was last night, it can't get no darker than that, especially for me," James said Wednesday before the Heat's practice at the AT&T Center. "So I guarantee I'll be better for tomorrow (Game 4) for sure. I have to do whatever it takes. I mean, 7 for 21 isn't going to cut it. It's impossible for me to go 7 for 21, shoot 33 percent from the field and not have free throws. You have to figure out ways offensively that you can make an impact."

Which is exactly what the Spurs want. If LeBron and Wade hit jumpers and/or the Heat can kick/swing it fast enough (and hit the open shot), then there ain't much you can do. That is their halfcourt game afterall and the Spurs will be (or they SHOULD be) especially focused on turnovers. But if the jumpshots don't fall...and the Heat start trying to "Hero Ball"...then it's over.

Game 4 is essentially a closeout game for the Spurs. It would take a miracle for the Heat to pull out 3 in a row against that kind of poise, strategy, and talent. The Heat simply cannot lose this next game. They will probably come out like it's the last game of their season. I expect their defense to be more intense than it was in Game 2.

For my brothers in conspiracy! Read on!

First, if you're not a conspiracy head...then you get'cho ass the hell out of here! Posted Image

Posted Image

Let's see how the refs call it in Game 4. Not that they want either team to be Champions, but the NBA certainly wants to see this go as many games as possible. Will we see some early foul trouble? Hmmm??? Some questionable calls to stem/stimulate some momentum swings??? Hmmm? Some missed calls on who it went out on? Hmmmmmm....? Some questionable non-calls? Some calls that by the same token should have been NON CALLS?!?!? HMMMMMM!?!?!?!?!?!?!

INQUIRING CONSPIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!! MWAAAAAA HAAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAAA!!!!

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

Miami has not lost two in a row in months. Miami simply cannot win if Lebron plays passively. He rarely drives to the basket anymore, and he has only gone to the foul line a handful of times. It's almost like watching Joe Johnson in a sense. Lebron will halfheartedly drive to the basket and either dish it to a shooter or back it out. Mike Miller did everything he could last night (5-5 for 15 points). Birdman has been ineffective; Wade's jumpshot is useless (did anyone see that horrendous travel where he tried to get Duncan to bite on his pumpfake?), Bosh has gone missing. So who else can they really count on? Up until the third quarter, Lebron didn't even break double digits in points.

Look at these +/- numbers: James -32, Bosh -21, Wade -29. Also Lebron took 21 shots whereas Wade and Bosh both combined to take 25 shots. Also, the entire team had 10 FTAs.

What San Antonio did last night was a clinic. They clogged the lane and forced Lebron to shoot. He had no confidence in his jumpshot. Even their fans got in on the act lol.

That was really interesting when Pop said that between quarters. At least make a joke or give them some false or even PC answer but to say "I can't say that" was interesting and strange. JVG loved it of course but I thought it was kind of weird. Why not just say hey we're just trying to play good defense against him and leave it at that? I think it kind of embarrassed the reporter and it was definitely an awkward moment.

Am I the only one perplexed as to why one of the major topics discussed in almost every sports show is always "Is this game a must-win game for the Heat / Spurs?" It's the NBA Finals... EVERY game is a must-win game!!! This bugged me when they asked it on multiple shows on ESPN before game 1, then again before games 2 and 3, and now they're STILL asking it! Sorry if I'm coming off as ranting! Posted Image

I think what Atlanta has to take into account is whether the big three they may want to form actually fits together and are willing to play as a team.

SA isn't beating the heat right now because they have a big three. They are winning because they have key role players that fit together and everyone sacrifices for the good of the team. When the chips are down, they don't resort to one on one basketball. They still believe in the team concept.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Am I the only one perplexed as to why one of the major topics discussed in almost every sports show is always "Is this game a must-win game for the Heat / Spurs?" It's the NBA Finals... EVERY game is a must-win game!!! This bugged me when they asked it on multiple shows on ESPN before game 1, then again before games 2 and 3, and now they're STILL asking it! Sorry if I'm coming off as ranting! Posted Image

Well...to be fair, the needle moves every game. The first game is all about who draws first blood. Of course it's a big game, but it's bigger for the Spurs than it is for Miami. The Spurs needed to get one game in Miami, but once that game was decided...it changed the complexion of the series.

There is no way Miami could go into San Antonio down 0-2. The pressure to win games 3 and 4 would have been CRAZY. So as soon as the Spurs put game 1 away, game 2 became an absolute must win for Miami. Game 2 was not a must win for the Spurs...who would gladly take a split in Miami going home to 3 games in a row.

Game 3 was equally important for both teams...a pivotal game for sure, but not necessarily a "must win" because you still have the opportunity to even it up if you lose that one. The Spurs would still have 2 more games at home and could potentially take a 3-2 lead, while Miami would get home court back and put the pressure on the Spurs.

But now that those three games have been decided, with the series being where it's at, Game 4 either closes the series out for the Spurs OR it gives life back to the Heat. It's more important for the Heat this game because their season is on the line. I just don't see them winning 3 in a row against the Spurs should they lose...especially with one more game in San Antonio.

What does that mean for Game 5?

If the Spurs win tomorrow night, then the next 3 games have the same value to them...get ONE win. That's it.

If the Heat win tomorrow night, then the series becomes a best of 3 with two of those game in Miami.

Spurs lose, then Game 5 becomes a must win for them (or they have to win 2 in a row in Miami).

Heat lose, then the season is pretty much over....or, y'know...win 3 in a row.

Bottom line...this is a more important game for the Miami Heat. They simply have to win Game 4.

Well...to be fair, the needle moves every game. The first game is all about who draws first blood. Of course it's a big game, but it's bigger for the Spurs than it is for Miami. The Spurs needed to get one game in Miami, but once that game was decided...it changed the complexion of the series.

There is no way Miami could go into San Antonio down 0-2. The pressure to win games 3 and 4 would have been CRAZY. So as soon as the Spurs put game 1 away, game 2 became an absolute must win for Miami. Game 2 was not a must win for the Spurs...who would gladly take a split in Miami going home to 3 games in a row.

Game 3 was equally important for both teams...a pivotal game for sure, but not necessarily a "must win" because you still have the opportunity to even it up if you lose that one. The Spurs would still have 2 more games at home and could potentially take a 3-2 lead, while Miami would get home court back and put the pressure on the Spurs.

But now that those three games have been decided, with the series being where it's at, Game 4 either closes the series out for the Spurs OR it gives life back to the Heat. It's more important for the Heat this game because their season is on the line. I just don't see them winning 3 in a row against the Spurs should they lose...especially with one more game in San Antonio.

What does that mean for Game 5?

If the Spurs win tomorrow night, then the next 3 games have the same value to them...get ONE win. That's it.

If the Heat win tomorrow night, then the series becomes a best of 3 with two of those game in Miami.

Spurs lose, then Game 5 becomes a must win for them (or they have to win 2 in a row in Miami).

Heat lose, then the season is pretty much over....or, y'know...win 3 in a row.

Bottom line...this is a more important game for the Miami Heat. They simply have to win Game 4.

I can see where you're coming from, but just because a game is more important for one team doesn't make it any less important for the other team. That's why I think EVERY game is a must-win game -- especially because it's the playoffs and double especially because it's the Finals!