• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: USA Today Sports : Rockets want both Howard and Smoove

ATLscrubLove

When you say this years pick do you mean 2013 or 2014? If it's 2013 then yes they can give us their 2014. A team can trade every single 1st round pick they have, as long as they do it 1 year at a time and they do it after the draft has happened for that year, which resets the calendar on trading future picks.

Right now they could trade us their 2014 and 2016, but couldn't trade us their 2014 and 2015.

Ok, so Asik/young PF/ 14 and 16 firsts for Smith.

Dwight

J.Smith

Parsons

Harden

Lin

That still doesn't win the 'Ship or even the West.

Bottom line is it's MUCH smarter for us to get something in return for Smith than just to let him walk.

Edited by CJB

OK, so Asik/young PF/ 14 and 16 firsts for Smith. DwightJ.SmithParsonsHardenLin That still doesn't win the 'Ship, or even the West. Bottom line is it's MUCH smarter for us to get something in return for Smith than just to let him walk.

I was just using 2014 and 2016 as an example, I really doubt they'd give us that much for Smith unless there's no chance Dwight signs there without Smith. Even then they might balk.

Houston messed up and thought Lin would have value; he did not live up to expectations. Now they are stuck with him.

And you know this based on what exactly? This is my problem with your ASSUMPTION, Houston has not actually explored moving either YET (and if they did, you wouldn't f***ing know because Daryl Morey doesn't leak anything. Did you see Portland snapping up TRob?) for you to be typing as if they've exhausted all avenues already. In a league where you've seen Joe Johnson moved WITHOUT sweetener you honestly think 2 years and 20 million is that difficult to get out of? ....all while you are looking at the dollar amounts being thrown out there at current free agents. Uhm, naw. I'd say "stuck" is way to strong of a word especially in the absence of any evidence.

When you say this years pick do you mean 2013 or 2014? If it's 2013 then yes they can give us their 2014. A team can trade every single 1st round pick they have, as long as they do it 1 year at a time and they do it after the draft has happened for that year, which resets the calendar on trading future picks.

Right now they could trade us their 2014 and 2016, but couldn't trade us their 2014 and 2015.

That is good info. My understanding is if you give up a 1st rounder, say 2013, then you cannot, unless you gain a pick in the same year ( 2014 ), trade next seasons pick ( 2014 ).

In other words, I thought you had to make a 1st round pick every other year. If not that is a huge loop hole in the rule that is suppose to protect teams from bad moves that trade away their future.

That is good info. My understanding is if you give up a 1st rounder, say 2013, then you cannot, unless you gain a pick in the same year ( 2014 ), trade next seasons pick ( 2014 ). In other words, I thought you had to make a 1st round pick every other year. If not that is a huge loop hole in the rule that is suppose to protect teams from bad moves that trade away their future.

That's the way it works. It keeps you from giving up too many 1st round picks in 1 deal but you can give them up in multiple deals as long as they are done after the draft each year. Theoretically you could never have a 1st round pick if you didn't want to.

I don't want Lin as he will tie up 8 mil in future cap space - Asik/player/1st rounder or no deal. Let them figure out something else with Lin. The Hawks have to come out if this with financial flexibility.

For those not wanting Asik for cap reasons, who would you want to sign to reach cap minimum floor? We have to pay somebody, and we'd most likely get a first round pick with Asik. Also, we could trade Asik at the deadline for another first rounder.

If the key to getting Dwight is for him to play with an All-Star caliber player and Josh Smith then why not Atlanta?

For the Rockets to sign Smoove, via either SNT or trading Asik and Lin for picks to sign him outright, would leave them with no point guard at all. A team of Teague, Lou & Jenkins, Smoove, Horford, and Dwight is just as good as a Harden/Parson/Smoove/Dwight combo. I would even argue it is better. I just don't see why Atlanta isn't the leader if Josh Smith is the key. We're the only ones that can offer Dwight an All-Star Big and Josh + adequate point guard play.

The Mavericks, Rockets (with Lin gone), Lakers all have terrible Point Guards. What gives?

If the key to getting Dwight is for him to play with an All-Star caliber player and Josh Smith then why not Atlanta? For the Rockets to sign Smoove, via either SNT or trading Asik and Lin for picks to sign him outright, would leave them with no point guard at all. A team of Teague, Lou & Jenkins, Smoove, Horford, and Dwight is just as good as a Harden/Parson/Smoove/Dwight combo. I would even argue it is better. I just don't see why Atlanta isn't the leader if Josh Smith is the key. We're the only ones that can offer Dwight an All-Star Big and Josh + adequate point guard play. The Mavericks, Rockets (with Lin gone), Lakers all have terrible Point Guards. What gives?

D12 may want to play with Josh just not here in Atlanta - that is why? If D12 wants to be HERE with Josh then it happens.