• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sources: Hawks Likely To 'Tank' If Howard Doesn't Sign

yungsta

The Atlanta Hawks created cap space to pursue Dwight Howard this offseason.

With Howard appearing likely to sign elsewhere, sources say the Hawks likely won't pursue players to become a playoff contender in order to improve their odds in the 2014 lottery.

"I think we may all be UNDERESTIMATING number of teams considering tanking this year. Been flooded with calls from GMs re 2014 draft class," wrote Ford on Twitter.

Beyond Andrew Wiggins at the top of the 2014 draft, the deep class could include the likes of Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Andrew Harrison and Marcus Smart

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228586/Sources-Hawks-Likely-To-Tank-If-Howard-Doesnt-Sign

Sounds obvious to me, unless the Franchise wants to stay in the middle. Add to the fact that Ferry/Bud should create their own vision of a winning team and start by rebuilding, it makes too much sense if we don't get Howard.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This is exactly what we should do. What are the realistic alternatives? Stay on the playoff treadmill by signing B level guys like Al Jefferson or Iggy? Hell no. We need superstars. If Dwight signs elsewhere then the only realistic way to get one is in the draft.

• Like 1

that's a double edge sword. tanking in theory sounds like it's a good idea, but what does it say about your team to the rest of the league? it looks like you have a crappy team with owners who don't want to spend money. not that free agents are banging on our door now, but they surely won't want to sign with us after that. at least we had been considered with cp3 and dwight, even if we don't get them. when was the last time the two top free agents considered playing for the hawks? never.

unless you happen to get lucky enough to get the next lebron or durant, then you are s.o.l. i know this next draft is supposed to be stacked, but you know that just means that a number of other teams are getting franchise players too. if all you're getting is one POSSIBLE franchise player, vs other a half dozen other teams getting a possible franchise player who also already have young assets in place, vs at least another half dozen teams or more who aren't in the lottery because they already have a franchise player on the team, then how is tanking going to get us ahead of anyone else?

i say stay competitive and remain flexible, like we did this past season. we had horf and some other players on one year and reasonable contracts so we were competitive, but we will still be flexible enough to add talent via free agency or by creative trade movement. df has shown he can move things around before that weren't expected, he can do it again.

TANKS, BUT NO TANKS PLEASE.

• Like 1

Cross word puzzle.

Trying to lose. Answer: Dieting.

Tanking: Deliberately loading your team with very litle talent and no future hopes of

getting better so that you lose lots and lots of games.

Then you are rolling the dice. Hoping against hope that, since you have traded all your

better players for future draft picks, you obtain several potential all star players. Then

and only then you hope against hope that someones super star will wish to leave their

team and come play for you and improve your great, losing record.

Sounds like a great plan, doesn't it!

What if. We all love to play the what if game.

What if we don't get all those lottery picks? What if no one's super star wants to come

here and help us with our great losing record? Then what?

I suppose we just keep tanking until we get it right.

REALLY?

I'm getting a tank avatar if/when they start giving out one-year contracts to Ricky Davis and Aaron Brooks to make the salary floor. I might go Abrams or old school with a Sherman...

In honor of Schröder you have to go with a Panzer

Posted Image

• Like 1

I've never been in favor of tanking. But this year it's different. We have a fairly new gm with his own ideas on how to shape the roster. A brand new coach in Bud. 3 players under contract. And an awesome draft class. So I'm not even gonna call it tanking. Lets just start Schröder, not resign Teague, get younger players on short deals and let it play out.

I also think this is a year that makes sense to tank. But I can see it now if we tank, get screwed with the ping pong balls, and can't get any good FAs next offseason because we sucked so bad. The Hawksquawk is going to be in shambles. Some of y'all gonna go bananas.

• Like 1

I'd copy what the rockets did. Don't try to win but still acquire good assets and lookout for a big trade. If ferry can trade for a game changer come deadline time that to me is just as fine as waiting til next summer.

Guest Zone

The Hawks would be using common sense if we do in fact tank. You don't purposely miss out on a draft class that's packed with talent just so you can get knocked out early in the playoffs.

• Like 1