• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My take on Danny "treadmill" Ferry

NBASupes

Danny has had this team for one full season, and we have posters here calling that a treadmill. Get back with me on that in about 3 years. All he has done is sign Millsap and Korver to contracts that on a yearly basis total about 1.5 million more than what Josh got in Detroit.

The NBA is all about good to great value. Even teams like the Lakers, Boston, and Bulls are starting to tighten their purse strings. Value works two ways. One to help your team on the court and two, to have what is looked at as very trade-able assets. I would not in a million years send Millsap to Detroit for Smoove, much less Millsap and Korver to make the money work for Smoove. That is what Ferry has done in just one season.

Lets give him a couple of more seasons before calling this 12 month management time a treadmill.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

What will be ironic and sad is that the Hawks are making these moves for the sake of being competitive and staying in the middle of the pack. At the same time they know it will hurt their draft position. Now when the draft comes up, as always, the Hawks will be trying against the odds to trade up because they're never happy with their draft position even though they deliberately put themselves in the same position every year. They know who's in the draft this year and it they will be trying to trade up to no avail once again.

• Like 1

What will be ironic and sad is that the Hawks are making these moves for the sake of being competitive and staying in the middle of the pack. At the same time they know it will hurt their draft position. Now when the draft comes up, as always, the Hawks will be trying against the odds to trade up because they're never happy with their draft position even though they deliberately put themselves in the same position every year. They know who's in the draft this year and it they will be trying to trade up to no avail once again.

I don't think there is a GM/VP/President out there whose long term goal is to stay in the middle of the pack. But I also think, just as in any business, improvements usually take place over a period of time. Its not a overnight process to turn a middle of the road software company into a Oracle, Adobe, Microsoft , or Apple.

Fortunately in the NBA the R&D is not so time consuming but it is still extremely expensive. One big trade and/or one big time rookie can put you moving towards the top. Every head of a NBA team knows this. Its just a matter of do we have the man who can get it done. The ASG bet on Ferry and I like his attitude; and what appears on the outside his smarts and savvy.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

I am getting so tired of "treadmill". It is like a buzzword on a political talk show.

Jeez people. Do y'all think you're smart because you have an interesting little word you think "describes" NBA teams? Buncha parrots around here.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I am getting so tired of "treadmill". It is like a buzzword on a political talk show. Jeez people. Do y'all think you're smart because you have an interesting little word you think "describes" NBA teams? Buncha parrots around here.

I prefer "annual march to mediocrity" myself. For the alliteration.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I am getting so tired of "treadmill". It is like a buzzword on a political talk show.

Jeez people. Do y'all think you're smart because you have an interesting little word you think "describes" NBA teams? Buncha parrots around here.

I will absolutely take credit for being the innovator of that term here on the Squawk. And it absolutely fits the phenomena being described.

But "tank" is all good though. Like cowbells we need more of that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I am getting so tired of "treadmill". It is like a buzzword on a political talk show. Jeez people. Do y'all think you're smart because you have an interesting little word you think "describes" NBA teams? Buncha parrots around here.

I'd take treadmill over "acquiring assets" anyday.

• Moderators

So you created it even though ive heard it on nbatv and espn?

He isn't saying he came up with the term.He is saying he started it on here by describing what Ferry was doing (or might do) as getting on the treadmill for middle of the pack teams. Kind of like the first person to describe Josh as a bricklayer on this site didn't invent the term but was the first here to apply it to our Hawk in the context of our discussions on the Squawk.
  • Like 2

Wait, are we talking about treadmill lottery teams, treadmill middle-of-the-pack teams, or treadmill contenders?