• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting Al Horford Interview

ATLnightwing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OX2-moFPG6Q#at=221

Two things I pulled out of this:

- He reiterates the fact that he prefers to play PF.

- He mentions that the two complimentary centers in the NBA that he would prefer to play with are Noah and Asik. Why would he mention Asik? Maybe a trade coming? Probably not.

• Moderators

With Josh in Detroit, the Asik dream is all but dead for now. It'll be interesting what the Rockets and Hawks look to do at the deadline. Maybe that's why Milsap was signed immediately when the news came in. Asik and Milsap's cap hit are about the same and Milsap next to Dwight works well and Asik next to Horf is good too. Just wish Asik was a better offensive player and that's why I'd prefer Noah, but Chicago isn't giving up Noah. Unless Chicago would really want Asik back, maybe a three team trade with Houston getting Milsap, Chicago getting Asik, and Atlanta getting Noah?

• Premium Member

Man....listening to Al talk really makes me feel like shit. :( Despite all my doomsaying, I really like Horford. He's a great player and he's a natural leader. As much as I complain about the treadmill, I'm quietly excited to see the effect he'll have being the centerpiece. Horford is a quality player and I've wanted Josh Smith to step back so he could step up for going on like 3 1/2 years now. Don't know how many times I said that the last thing we needed from Smoove was his offensive contributions. I've also been saying that we should rebuild/retool around Horf & Teague. I wish we would have realized this 3 years ago and *seriously* shopped Smoove...but I'm digressing.

I really liked that interview. What I took away from it though is that Horford is not sticking around for any sort of treadmill business. He's a champion and he wants to win at THIS level. That's good for us right now because we've got him locked up. But teams will be coming after him in a few years - especially if he improves his stock with this team on his shoulders. Man...we better have our shit together before then.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 3

I don't know what it would take but boy would I LOVE a Horford- Noah duo brought to Atlanta. Former teammates, roommates and champs, they are almost GUARANTEED to be good together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OX2-moFPG6Q#at=221

Two things I pulled out of this:

- He reiterates the fact that he prefers to play PF.

- He mentions that the two complimentary centers in the NBA that he would prefer to play with are Noah and Asik. Why would he mention Asik? Maybe a trade coming? Probably not.

Probably because he's seen Asik up close and probably heard a lot about him from Noah.

...I'd prefer Noah, but Chicago isn't giving up Noah...

That's for sure - they would be insane to do that - and I'm pretty sure they aren't insane.

Asik here would be great IMO - solid D and rebounding and a teenie bit of offense. Who knows what is going on behind closed doors though. If I were a Houston fan I'd probably want to keep Asik if at all possible in case D12's back acts up again.

Thanks for posting the article/ytube ATLnight.

Edited by Marilyn
  • Like 1

Man....listening to Al talk really makes me feel like shit. :( Despite all my doomsaying, I really like Horford. He's a great player and he's a natural leader. As much as I complain about the treadmill, I'm quietly excited to see the effect he'll have being the centerpiece. Horford is a quality player...

Yeah Wretch...I couldn't help but maybe notice a little sadness/frustration in his voice/mannerisms. Bummer.

Thing is - if anybody can handle this strategic rebuild - AL should be able to. And let's face it...as much as everybody dissed the Hawks ownership..they are making him rich.

• Like 1

This board would go crazy and kill me but if we got a top 5 pick next year I would trade it for Noah....

Noah/Horford would undoubtedly be the best front court in the league and there is no way the Heat could stop that.

• Like 2

Noah/Horford would undoubtedly be the best front court in the league....

Well I don't know about "best"...but they would be pretty damn good.

If they did get back together (while they are young) it would probably be in Chicago....and I don't see AL doing that.

Well I don't know about "best"...but they would be pretty damn good.

If they did get back together (while they are young) it would probably be in Chicago....and I don't see AL doing that.

I cant think of another team that has a top 10 PF and C. Im probably just forgetting someone though lol

And their games fit perfectly together

• Like 1

• Premium Member

With Josh in Detroit, the Asik dream is all but dead for now. It'll be interesting what the Rockets and Hawks look to do at the deadline. Maybe that's why Milsap was signed immediately when the news came in. Asik and Milsap's cap hit are about the same and Milsap next to Dwight works well and Asik next to Horf is good too. Just wish Asik was a better offensive player and that's why I'd prefer Noah, but Chicago isn't giving up Noah. Unless Chicago would really want Asik back, maybe a three team trade with Houston getting Milsap, Chicago getting Asik, and Atlanta getting Noah?

I would not say that the Asik dream is dead. We would have to find a way to get Houston what they want.

Would we move Sap for Asik?

• Like 1

I cant think of another team that has a top 10 PF and C. Im probably just forgetting someone though lol

And their games fit perfectly together

The thing is - Noah isn't leaving Chicago...so how does AL get there? He would have to go full free agent and take less money.

The thing is - Noah isn't leaving Chicago...so how does AL get there? He would have to go full free agent and take less money.

The only thing I would think, even though it is like 15%, is to dangle BeBe and a top 5 pick next year in their face. They ARE chicago. They can find them a new center, but a chance at Parker, Randle, etc, might be something they cant pass up.

I would not say that the Asik dream is dead. We would have to find a way to get Houston what they want.

Would we move Sap for Asik?

I don't know the legalities (league rules) about a deal like that - but it would make sense for both teams. Asik puts AL at PF and Milsap would be a tough guy PF to go with D12.

As far as which team would come out better on that trade - I think it's a wash - especially since they are a WC team and we need a center to get AL to PF.

As much as I have tended (hoped) to think of Milsap as a SF - I know that isn't his position....and the only way AL gets to PF is if we have a starting center who actually IS a center....(making Milsap expendable for his salary cost)

So...if there aren't a bunch of F'in NBA trade rules that keep us from trading Milsap for Asik (while the Russian owner aparently doesn't have to follow any rules at all)...I would say DO IT....Milsap for Asik and whatever filler is required.

Edited by Marilyn

• Premium Member

I've been saying for years what a disservice the Hawks have done by making Al continue to play out of position. It would seem they would have more respect for this guy who's done nothing but good things for this franchise.

• Like 2

I don't know the legalities (league rules) about a deal like that - but it would make sense for both teams. Asik puts AL at PF and Milsap would be a tough guy PF to go with D12.

As far as which team would come out better on that trade - I think it's a wash - especially since they are a WC team and we need a center to get AL to PF.

As much as I have tended (hoped) to think of Milsap as a SF - I know that isn't his position....and the only way AL gets to PF is if we have a starting center who actually IS a center....(making Milsap expendable for his salary cost)

So...if there aren't a bunch of NBA trade rules that keep us from trading Milsap for Asik (while the Russian owner aparently doesn't have to follow any rules at all)...I would say DO IT....Milsap for Asik and whatever filler is required.

I believe we have to wait until December. Which in the grand scheme of things might not be bad. It is a perfect match for both teams. All that is necessary is to wait until mid season. Then we could both make a push for playoff position with our new players.

• Like 1

I believe we have to wait until December. Which in the grand scheme of things might not be bad. It is a perfect match for both teams. All that is necessary is to wait until mid season. Then we could both make a push for playoff position with our new players.

Yeah...I'm sure you are right...but by then D12 might be banged up or Milsap might be gimpy. Just wish it could happen now. NBA rules are a pain.