• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When was the last time we had a good, true center.

ATLnightwing

I remember the Hawk's PG problems. We were always saying that we always struck out on the PG spot. We kept saying this until Teague emerged against the Bulls in the playoffs. I was always asking myself how come we never discussed our gaping hole at center?

Obviously now, a lot of us are starting to realize that we missed out on a center again. Let's think about it for a second. When was the last time we had a true center (above 6'11) that was actually good? I'm talking about since our competitive era so since 2008. Zaza Pachulia doesn't cut it in my opinion.

It just baffles me that our star power forward expressed the fact that he is better not starting at center and yet we still DONT HAVE A CENTER. I am a big proponent of having players play their natural positions to maximize their abilities.

I liken Al Horford to Chris Bosh when he was in Toronto or Lamarcus Alrdrige or even Kevin Love. These are franchise players that when given their own team, average well above 20ppg. I feel that if we start Horford at center again, he is stuck averaging below 20ppg and not making the all-star team.

Thoughts?

• Premium Member

Deke is the last good center but since you said 2008 the answer is clearly no one. Al is not a natural center. A natural center with a low post game and the ability to block on weak side defense would make Al a lot happier and our team a lot better.

Small ball will only increase in vouge, True Cs are not really neccessary today. All we need is a scrub like Queen Collins or Johan to beat whatever team Dumb Dwight plays on. All the other top True Centers in the league can and have been handled by us. Noah, Lopez, Hibbert, Gasol, etc. None of them scare me as a dominant force to specially gameplan against, let alone build a roster to combat. I fear AAU, spending a trimester in college, and the popularity of the " stretch 4" (which I despise) has eroded the True Big Man's game beyond repair. I'd love to make a run at Cousins next year, only if he's willing to take less than a max to help build something great. If we strike out, I'll keep it moving.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Small ball will only increase in vouge, True Cs are not really neccessary today. All we need is a scrub like Queen Collins or Johan to beat whatever team Dumb Dwight plays on. All the other top True Centers in the league can and have been handled by us. Noah, Lopez, Hibbert, Gasol, etc. None of them scare me as a dominant force to specially gameplan against, let alone build a roster to combat. I fear AAU, spending a trimester in college, and the popularity of the " stretch 4" (which I despise) has eroded the True Big Man's game beyond repair.

i sincerely hope you are wrong. The low post game specifically is my favorite part of the game of basketball. And this is coming from a former collegiate point guard. I absolutely love the interplay and skill shown on both sides in low post play. The sport needs it.

• Like 1

We haven't had one. The problem is there hasn't been a starting caliber C available for a decent price since Ferry's been on board. Millsap/Horford is better than Horford/Dalembert for example. Ferry obviously wants a C to pair with Horford (he's drafted 2), but we probably won't have one until the trade deadline at the earliest, probably even next summer when a couple of Cs become available.

• Like 1

Are you saying that Chris Kaman, Dalembert, or Blatche were too expensive?

Those guys were probably asking for more $$$ AND years from the Hawks (because they knew Atl had cap space) than DF was willing to spend. I saw an article on Zaza signing with the Bucks because of the 3rd year while other teams were only offering 2 years. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I think that 2006-07 Zaza was a pretty damn good center.

[*]12.2 PPG & 7 RPG in 28 minutes on 48% FG and 78% FT. [*](12) 20+ point games. [*]15.5 and 9 per/36 [*]Career high 16.8 PER

And remember, that was as a 22 year old...

Edited by Colin
  • Like 1

Other teams have centers! Some have multiple centers but not us...We changed coaches, GM's and ownership but this problem still persist over all these years. Perplexing to say the least!

Name a FA center not named Dwight that was signed this off season and that you are jealous we didn't get.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Name a FA center not named Dwight that was signed this off season and that you are jealous we didn't get.

Maybe this is just me but I can't help but feel Pekovic's agent was sure Atlanta or Dallas would give his guy a max deal and force the TWolves to match it. Now that's not going to happen and Pek has zero leverage.

• Like 1

Maybe this is just me but I can't help but feel Pekovic's agent was sure Atlanta or Dallas would give his guy a max deal and force the TWolves to match it. Now that's not going to happen and Pek has zero leverage.

Yeah he was #1 for me on the FA list, even ahead of Dwight to be honest. Would like to know if we have showed any interest. It seems that Minny would match whatever but I don't see the point in not trying. Maybe Danny wasn't sold on his one strong season going into FA. I know I was. That dude beasted this season.